Big production next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the tourist said:

Yes. I did. It talked about mixing the setlists up like the last couple tours. Which is virtually not mixing things up at all. It's more like picking between 40-45 song, using the same lineups many of those songs (i.e. the Sunday Bloody Sunday/Love and Peace/Bullet part of the live set, the Africa part of the live set, the Achtung Baby mini set, the Boy mini set, etc).

It's my own personal rant that these people who are the biggest rock and roll band in the world refuse to play whatever feels right to them in the moment because it won't fit the fucking lighting or the click tracks that are pre-programmed for every night. Time to get rid of the in-ear click tracks, and the huge stage props.

If it were up to me, they wouldn't play the same setlist twice on the whole tour.

Let's hear a show open with Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me. Let's hear a dozen shows with Love Is Blindness (some in the middle). Let's hear Wake Up Dead Man and Desire both full band AND acoustic on various nights. Let's hear Discotheque end a show. Let's hear 40 in the middle. Let's hear Like A Song at all. Or Your Blue Room. Let's hear A Sort of Homecoming, or Hawkmoon 269, or God Part II, or Numb.

How much of a mindblower would it be for U2 fans to see a show open up with Desire, All Along The Watchtower, and God Part II one night and not again the whole tour? Or open with Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Discotheque, and Last Night On Earth for another? How about those songs all make various re-apperances over the tour but never in the same place or together?

How about a tour where 100 songs are played (none being snippets)? This will NEVER happen with huge props. Never, never, never. And who cares if Pride isn't played one night if there's still Streets? And who cares if One isn't played if there's still New Year's Day? And who cares if With Or Without You isn't played as long as there's Mysterious Ways?

They'll have over a hundred shows--surely they can shake things up. Especially with modern technology and the way the Edge can control all of the pre-programmed stuff at the tap of a foot. This will never happen though. Because after ZooTV I think U2's scared to fully pull it back to where it used to be. Maybe they're scared their music isn't enough to grap the audience. Maybe they think we need shiny lights to pay attention.

They won't ever tour without lighting, elaborate stage props or click tracks. And that said, the last tour was pretty much great setlist wise and an obvious continuation of the trend that started on Elevation by bringing the oldies and less played songs back (unlike the REALLY elaborate tours that had 90% or more the same setlist for the entire tour).

Varied openers, closers, different encores, stuff from first three albums we didn't hear since Lovetown, One tree hill, live premieres off Zooropa and Passengers...and given how well they work under setlist pressure (see A sort of homecoming on Slane on Elevation), I'll pass the different setlist each night pipe dreams.

well... if it's going to be the anihilation tour, they should reallly "kill us all" with what they do, right? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom