Best/Worst crowds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One word - Slane!

Any U2 gig in Slane. About 1hr north of Dublin.

The night Jason McAteer scored against the Dutch to qualify us for 2002 World Cup. They showed the match on the big screens before U2 came on stage. The crowd were going mental before the gig even started. See U2 Go home DVD. The lads on the front cover say it all.

:angry: I wish you all would stop mentioning that moment. Because you guys qualified WE got kicked out of the WC.

:wink: Sore spot.

But yeah, the Irish gigs are definately the best crowd. :up: Probably because it's a huge diverse crowd, people from all over the world go there!

Best crowds are people who don't block others' views with cameras or by waving their arms and are quite during the songs. They actually place the music ahead of the ego-centric desire to make their presence known.

Bad crowds are people who can't shut up and sing and scream and wave their arms and have no respect for others' equal right to enjoy the music in all its subtlety.

You should go to an Australian show. People just sit down and spend a hundred bucks on having absolutely no fun whatsoever.

I'm from Holland myself, but the worst: Dutch audience!

Really, I was ashamed and annoyed by the Amsterdam audience on friday 15-07-2005!!!

I was, and still am, f...in' pissed off!!! Not by U2 but by the annoying sometimes typical rude dutch audience!!!

First off: I was standing with my wife and friends at the edge of the first B-stage. Even before the show started there were guys thrown out of the front rows by security because they couldn't behave himself.
Then later on when I came back from getting something to eat, some guy with a giant sportsbag on his back was standing on the little spot I was standing before (with my wife and friends) so I wasn't able to stand with my wife and friends anymore...! When I asked him kindly if he would move a few cm's aside he totally ignored me and said it wasn't his problem.. He was there to stay! That of course resulted in a discussion. When about 15 discussion-minutes later some other people around him asked/ordered him to have some manners and move aside, he finally left...(with his giant annoying bag)

But the thing I am most FURIOUS about is this terrible "BEER-audience !!"

Really, the WHOLE concert down I (and my friends) had to make the most impossible twists, twirls and curves to let the "beer-audience" walk past. Not that anybody isn't allowed to get a beer or something to drink..
BUT: they pushed everybody aside during the climax in "Sometimes you can't make it.."!!(for a beer!) They had to break trough again with a tray of beer during "Streets.."(for a beer!) and of course again during "One"!!(for a beer!) And there were more "just-getting-a-beer-moments".....
And, because when you drink a lot of beer you have to go to the toilet a lot...! And what's a better moment to do this than during the intro of "Zoo Station"!! And then again during "Yahweh"...also an ideal TOILET MOMENT, isn't it?

Man, what a disrespect for this magic and sensitive band!!!!

Don't get me wrong: I am aware of the fact that people would like to have something to drink at a not so convenient moment in a concert. No problem! And that you can not always choose the perfect moment to go to the toilet. No problem!
But in 15-years time that I'm going to U2-concerts, this was THE WORST.!!
There was no moment to really get into the show for me...! The only thing that seemed important for these "beer-hooligans" was to get loaded! And what better moment to do this with some U2-music in the background!

I thought that the people that were in the front section were real fans who, like me, waited a long time for this and know what the moments are NOT to get a beer!! I thought they (like me) want to really get into the WHOLE show and fully absorb the songs!!

Maybe this all has to to do with the present status U2 are in. They've become so big that really EVERYBODY are curious and like to see them. Therefore also the people who are just going for a good night out, and like to yell along with only the big hits like Sunday Bloody Sunday with a beer in they're hand..! Like U2 is some simple big fairground-attraction and just another night out on the town to get loaded!! But let me tell you this:

To all you dutch beer-assholes:

Go to your local peasant-café and get drunk there!! Yell along with "Paradise by the dashboard light", "Summer of 69", "November Rain" or any other stupid "Robbie Williams-song" over there!!
Maybe wait a little till the Rolling Stones are in Holland again and go to their concert with your local football-club, people from work or your neighbours to sing along drunk with "Satisfaction" and "Jumping Jack Flash".

But don't bump ME over and knock me aside with a tray of beer above your head, right at the moment when my goosebumps are coming up when Bono sings: "...but-can-you-hear-me-when-I-...SIIIIING..."!!

Like I said: What a disrespect for this UNIQUE band...(and any real fan who wants to fully enjoy the songs)

Man, if only U2 was as important as somebody's stupid "biertje" (beer)!!!!
Then this whole whining post wouldn't be necessary!!

Great crowd: Wembley Stadium 1997 Popmart - the band even mentioned it on the tour diaries at the time, they were blown away by it.

I think the crowd wanted the band to succeed in light of all the unmerited abuse they were getting for Pop/PopMart at the time.

Looking back - what a great tour - totally mad stage and screen

Then I'd say Copenhagen 2005 - pissed it down for the whole gig but the crowd were up for it and the band on form with Bono singing "Singing In The Rain" at one point

Best crowds are people who don't block others' views with cameras or by waving their arms and are quite during the songs. They actually place the music ahead of the ego-centric desire to make their presence known.

Bad crowds are people who can't shut up and sing and scream and wave their arms and have no respect for others' equal right to enjoy the music in all its subtlety.

i think we've found a picture of you and a bud chillin' at the vertigo tour...

Statler_Waldorf.jpg

Then I'd say Copenhagen 2005 - pissed it down for the whole gig but the crowd were up for it and the band on form with Bono singing "Singing In The Rain" at one point

I totally forgot about my home concert, that's right it rained...
It was raining just slightly in the beginning, but the moment the screen lit up during COBL it started POURING down. It was magical. I was in the very very very front, second person to get into the stadium.

During the warmup band though, a drunk guy peed on me and my friend :doh:

It was raining just slightly in the beginning, but the moment the screen lit up during COBL it started POURING down. It was magical. I was in the very very very front, second person to get into the stadium.

my bad.

Any U2 gig in Slane. About 1hr north of Dublin.

The night Jason McAteer scored against the Dutch to qualify us for 2002 World Cup. They showed the match on the big screens before U2 came on stage. The crowd were going mental before the gig even started. See U2 Go home DVD. The lads on the front cover say it all.

That was an amazing show - I was second row at the tip of the heart, although I have yet to spot myself on the dvd.

oh my god... i totally wouldn't know how to handle that!

Maybe try moving out of the way? :shrug:

i was thinking more along the lines of crying, shouting, pushing, shoving and maybe kicking or slapping, general tears and tantrums, being shocked speechless but being squished and trapped in GA and unable to move outta the way lmfao

maybe i should go for seats? haha

i was thinking more along the lines of crying, shouting, pushing, shoving and maybe kicking or slapping, general tears and tantrums, being shocked speechless but being squished and trapped in GA and unable to move outta the way lmfao

a kick to the groin might stop him midstream

I hate those drunk'in idiots on GA, they push and shove to get to the front. I've seen this and the security does nothing. :angry:

I seem to recall a massive show in San Francisco in 2007 with Rage Against The Machine, Public Enemy, Wu Tang, Cypress Hill, etc. with about 50,000 crazy, drunken kids... all GA.

Haha, that would have been "rock the bells." When that tour hit Mansfield MA in 2007, it was one of the worst experiences of my concert security career. I am mild mannered and laid back for the most part while still doing my job, but that show featured a few of those 50,000 drunken kids going right to the ground courtesy of me. They had no respect for anyone or anything.

hahaha, yeah, I was one of those 50,000 maniacs up front in San Francisco. Luckily, Cypress Hill had played right before Rage, so half the crowd was stoned, leaving only 25,000 disrespectful kids getting pummeled by security

This is probably the reaction you're looking for, but seriously... you're the most boring person I've ever heard of. Honestly, the Pope would probably enjoy a U2 concert more than you would. Hell, any concert.

So yeah, I've only ever been to a Dublin show, probably will only be to a Dublin show (at least this tour), and I'm from Dublin...

so yeah, we're the best. ;)

Off topic though, but it's funny that out of most of my mates from home they say they hate U2, yet they managed to sell out Croke Park 3 times over last tour. Funny that...

Originally Posted by standrums
that is awesome, i've always had this silly idea that bono could play gene kelly in a movie then again it's an idea...:whistle:

I was going to say awesome as well which it sounds like it was there for a moment :sigh:....but ooooh I hope you were able to take a long hot shower after that one

I've only been to one concert but somehow it seems like I have been to more?
So I could be biased since the concert at Oakland in '05 was crazy great!

I was lucky enough to get tickets which were in the upper level. Still a great view being an arena still everyone around me was standing up rocking out to the music like we were on the floor.

McGuiness was outside watching selection process. He then tried to placate them by handing out one of the overstock Elevation t-shirt that wasn't selling at the merch table to those that were upset.

Not one of their finer moments. Although, those INSIDE the heart that were crying and sat down during the show should have been booted from the arena IMHO. Edge made a comment around that show about a "caravan of fans" seeing every show from the pit and they wanted something else for the DVD.

U2 and their management are very wary of appealing to a youthful audience. ths is part of the reason they have DVDs with quick edits and music videos that are lit to hide any wrinkles.

Interesting stuff mate. I do remember some fans posting that on a forum somewhere that they decided to sit down inside the heart as a protest. I would have to be there to understand their feeling. Not sure if the people in the front row where really attractive or anything. They seemed just like anybody else. Oh well.

All UK crowds are pretty lame and get very drunk and annoy everybody around them I'm afraid to say but as I can't afford a foreign trip then they will have to do for now. It seems to me that the people in the UK who go to U2 concerts are not real fans who know all the songs but people who just go to drink and to say that they have been to a U2 concert to impress their mates.

manchester (one and esp 2) and cardiff both great - though london a little too laid back/up themselves - though hopefully the setting of Wembley will help. On the last tour Paris 1 was by far the best performance/crowd that i was at - awesome Mike

i've only been to 3 shows, all on the last tour. oakland 1 (GA's, right on the rail, Edge's side) had a GREAT crowd. far better than san jose 1 (also GA, right on the rail, Adam's side), but honolulu was even worse (granted, i had seats this time).

manchester (one and esp 2) and cardiff both great - though london a little too laid back/up themselves - though hopefully the setting of Wembley will help. On the last tour Paris 1 was by far the best performance/crowd that i was at - awesome Mike

Mike,

I agree totally about Paris 1.
Magical. Even Adam said it was his favourite show of the whole tour.
Did you stay on for the 2nd show?

Back
Top Bottom