Best Use of a GA ticket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Best Use of a GA Ticket

• Front Row Inside the Pit

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Middle of the Pit

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Back of the Pit

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Front Row Outside the Pit

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • By the Soundboard

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters

romi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Since the GA experiences thread has been locked up......

For those who have been to more than one show, where is the best place to stand on the floor, and why? I have heard that front row inside the ellipse you can barely see Larry and sometime no Adam or Edge. In other words, the front row may not be the best spot to view a concert.

If someone can add a poll, that would be nice. I can't figure out how to do that....

So, where is the best place?

Front row inside the ellipse?
Middle of the pit?
Back of the pit?
Front row outside the ellipse?
By the sound board?

Back rail inside the pit is a really nice compromise. However, for this and middle of the pit you will be needing to queue a really long time. This is the position I had in Dublin.

In Amsterdam I was 3 rows back on the rail outside the "ellipse" and that is also a great position, especially during Crazy Tonight, Beautiful Day & Magnificent. You won't need to queue quite as long for a position like this, if that is a factor.

In London I intend to be back at the soundboard so I can enjoy the whole day and chill out a bit. Then in Sheffield I intend to take middle of the pit or back rail again.

For NJ1 I'm going to shoot for back of the pit or front row of the ellipse. I have a bad back so I'm going to need a rail at some point. I'm also short so if I'm far back, I'm not going to see anything...I'll make my decision once I start reading GA experiences from the NA leg.

For NJ1 I'm going to shoot for back of the pit or front row of the ellipse. I have a bad back so I'm going to need a rail at some point. I'm also short so if I'm far back, I'm not going to see anything...I'll make my decision once I start reading GA experiences from the NA leg.

I plan on doing the same for NJ1! I guess I'll be seein you in line then my friend :wave:

front row inside the ellipse?
PRO: Bono close, you may dance/play with them
CON: rest of the band away, neck aches, constant pushing, lots of queing, not much sound (it seems)

Middle of the pit?
PRO: intensity like nowhere else
CON: no band member really close, those damn bridges, pushing + heat

Back of the pit?
PRO: relax'd view of the show, you can see all the boys, very close when they use the elippse, lots of fun, space during the show, a lot of queing
CON: constant changing position back and forward, lots of pushing sometimes,

Front row outside the ellipse?
PRO: front row for Magnificent-Crazy Tonight, great view of the show, may dance/play with them, lots of intensity, not much queing
CON: LOTS of pushing forward, lots of heat when the boys are near

By the sound board?
PRO: best position to see the whole show, no queing, lots of room, bathroom breaks, lots of air, great sound
CON: U2 = ants, not much intensity (except for warhorses), dance with yourself, crowd sings horrible/bad lyrics

back of the pit and front row outside ellipse are the best positions IMO

For me it's just anywhere, away from all the bs and worse that goes on. The least crowded the better. I've done it a few times, a few shows going back to Elevation (not multiple or numerous and not traveling all over the US and nowwhere outside it, don't have the free time or funds for that) but it's not the be all and end all for me. My enjoyment of a U2 concert isn't tied in to getting closest and camping out forever and beating anyone out to a spot-can't do it and don't want to. I'd much rather just see it from wherever I end up and not have to deal with bs and with some other U2 fans.

Wherever I end up will still be a "better spot" than the majority of seats in a stadium. And the music will certainly sound just as good from the back of the pitch or whatever the heck it's called as it does crammed up in the front of the pit or whatever it's called. The memories I have of U2 shows pre days of GA and without GA are just as good and even better. It's a concert, personally I can't make it more than that. Life's stressful enough. I'm going to one show this time and one GA-I want to enjoy it and I can just as much in that way. If other people can't that's their business :) and their choice and in SOME cases their problem/ I just want to avoid dealing with them if they're going to cause problems because of it. First GA I ever had was that Elevation Boston people pulled from the back of the line sit down thing. Did I sit down or cry or confront Paul McG? No. Even though I hadn't done GA in multiple cities and been up front multiple times (as some of those people allegedly had) and that was the first time I had any GA I didn't. I still got a great spot and enjoyed it rather than dwelling on any real or perceived unfairness. Been in GA and found out after about people getting better spots because of cheating that went on. I didn't cheat and wouldn't for U2, so that's far more important to me than being possibly cheated out of a better GA spot.

So of those I'd say by the soundboard, if that's the least crowded and most relaxed.

Did 1st row back rail for Dublin 3 and it was, bar far, the best experience.

Sound was fantastic, the guys were still very close when on stage, they were literally almost in your lap when on the catwalk, had nice support on the back, the screen was still very viewable. Very intense experience.

Had to queue from 6am to get it, was still insanely hot and crowded and lots of pushing, especially when the band went around the catwalk.

Not something i'd go through every time, but if you're going to do the pit, I think it's the best overall spot available.

Personally, next time I might attempt to get outer rail or just hang out by the sb.....but being in the pit is an unbelievable experience.

By the sound board?
PRO: best position to see the whole show, no queing, lots of room, bathroom breaks, lots of air, great sound CAN DRINK BEER AND STILL COME BACK
CON: U2 = ants, not much intensity (except for warhorses), dance with yourself, crowd sings horrible/bad lyrics

If i dont get back of pit or outsdie elipse this is my spot. Being a bit drunk it dont matter is u2 are ants :)

being up close was all cool and stuff in my teens. I'd rather be by the soundboard for the best sound these days. I want to hear the band, not U2 karaoke.

I recommend taking a pair of good earplugs if you intend to be in the pit... I used Etymotic ER-20s and at times I thought they had fallen out because it was so loud. Allowed me to hear everything though.

Looking forward to the soundboard at London 1.

By the sound board?
PRO: best position to see the whole show, no queing, lots of room, bathroom breaks, lots of air, great sound CAN DRINK BEER AND STILL COME BACK

If i dont get back of pit or outsdie elipse this is my spot. Being a bit drunk it dont matter is u2 are ants :)

and really, if you're back at the soundboard, the farthest U2 will be away from you is maybe, 70 yds. not too bad.

i was struggling between 1st row behind the pit and the soundboard location, I picked behind the pit

to my surprise, soundboard location came in second.

so is it silly of me to want to go for the first row? It's what I do at most concerts, though it's a lot easier when you're seeing Bloc Party or The Fall of Troy in a small venue :wink: My only U2 GA experience thus far was on Vertigo; I was right on the rail, Edge's side ... it was awesome, he did the UTEOTW solo right in front of me, Bono sang Streets right in front of me... :drool:

I've convinced my 3 friends to queue Friday for the Saturday Chicago show. Despite not being hardcore fans, they are gung-ho about it. so I have to make sure we get a spot that's worth the waiting... but now I'm trying to decide between front row in pit, back row in pit, and front row outside pit...

It seems to me like there's not much to see in the front row other than when the band is right in front of you. Isn't the stage pretty high off the ground?

so is it silly of me to want to go for the first row? It's what I do at most concerts, though it's a lot easier when you're seeing Bloc Party or The Fall of Troy in a small venue :wink: My only U2 GA experience thus far was on Vertigo; I was right on the rail, Edge's side ... it was awesome, he did the UTEOTW solo right in front of me, Bono sang Streets right in front of me... :drool:

I've convinced my 3 friends to queue Friday for the Saturday Chicago show. Despite not being hardcore fans, they are gung-ho about it. so I have to make sure we get a spot that's worth the waiting... but now I'm trying to decide between front row in pit, back row in pit, and front row outside pit...

First row centre will require an incredibly amount of queueing... I just don't think its worth the effort considering how high the stage is. It seems even higher than Vertigo outdoor. Totally different to the arena setup... much taller.

When I was on the back rail my neck was generally looking up and a bit stiff, so I can only imagine what it is like looking up at something 15 feet or so off the ground...

it's not at all silly of you. for Elevation Tour, i queued up and saw them either first row or first at the tip of the heart. it was an unbelievable experience. i'm just at the point now where i've been there, done that. i'd rather show up at 7pm with a drink in each hand and hang with my friends towards the back.

It seems even higher than Vertigo outdoor.
for me it seemed the other way, the Vertigo stage's height made me take place outside the right catwalk. And there's some space between the stage and the crowd now... it didn't seem that high this time. but I haven't done the front row.

I was in the middle of the pit in front of Larry in Berlin, could see the band members pretty good, but was losing them during Magnificent & Crazy. Plus in Berlin there weren't any seats right behind the stage, so they paid less attention to the back area. and I was in a rather big company so we could afford some seating before the show. But still there was a lot of pushing, and we queued rather early, but it was already crowded when we got there, although some of my friends got a bit closer (Adam's side).
I should say, that the screen moving right above your head is really impressive.

In Amsterdam I was under the front-left claw leg, hanging on the rail. The stage, U2 themselves and all effects were still visible, not much pushing, but only Adam and Edge paid any attention when passing our location, because in front of us there were no people, the space was fenced. so that led to some loss of energy of course. But I wouldn't say that the Front Row Outside the Pit position doesn't require much queuing: I was 300+, and when I reached the stage, the circle was crowded and the center places outside the pit were taken.

and I would rather have seats than be far from the stage in GA. it's simply more comfortable, and U2 are ants anyway :)

another thing is I'm incredibly short (about 5'1)... so if I'm in the middle of the crowd I won't be able to see a thing :crack:

Like I said, I have no problem queuing. My friends are cool with it too. they figure, it's not that hard, you just have to stand in line all day. Not something we'd do every weekend, but hey, once every 4 years? One of my friends GA'd with my last tour in the Cleveland cold starting at 5am. Assuming it doesn't rain in Chicago the weather should be much better than that!

I am a fit guy, and I was near in tears of pain after the second dublin show after all the standing - though that was my fourth show in 6 days so read into that what you will.

As has been said, all the rail spots require a lot of queueing... even the outside rail. I'd say it is easier to be second/third row in the pit than rail outside it.

I'd always choose inside the pit vs. the outside rail because of all the pushing. When the crowd surges on the outside, it can get very uncomfortable. At least there's a limited number of people trying to crush you if you're inside.

I'd always choose inside the pit vs. the outside rail because of all the pushing. When the crowd surges on the outside, it can get very uncomfortable. At least there's a limited number of people trying to crush you if you're inside.

Inside the pit for this tour is MUCH different than inside the ellipse for Vertigo, at least from my perspective. They jam the pit....seriously. You literally cannot move at all....at least I couldnt from where I was on the back rail. I looked back at everyone in the first row of the outside rail, and I laugh as I say this, but they looked downright comfy. :lol: Arms and elbows stretched out....just sort of relaxing. I'm telling you you couldnt move two steps from where I was, and definitely no room to stretch out on the rail ;)

If I was looking for a somewhat similar experience, with a slightly less queuing time and more comfort, I would have gone for the outside rail.

Then again, understand that my perspective is coming from a comparison of these shows against the North American Vertigo ellipse....so obviously that's going to be a bit of a factor.

I think the best spot based on what I have heard above is something not mentioned yet. Its inside the pit, but on the side, against the back rail. Should be better than the red zone, plus, there is more room and its easier to come and go for drinks, food, bathroom, etc. Basically, it offers the best combination of close proximity to the band as well as comfort and space.

What we need here is another one of those cool maps that someone made early before the tour started, with specific locations marked.

Back
Top Bottom