Best show so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
18 shows under my belt :

top 5, in order :
Boston 2
Barcelona 2
Amsterdam 2
Toronto 2
Dublin,geez hard to pick one ..

Only 18 shows? Geez, you're falling behind. :wink:
I disagree with you on the Toronto 2 one, but the others are good choices. Especially since you didn't see the London shows.

Only 18 shows? Geez, you're falling behind. :wink:
I disagree with you on the Toronto 2 one, but the others are good choices. Especially since you didn't see the London shows.

Gotta disagree here. I have seen the band 20 times and I saw 4 shows on this tour and I gotta say Toronto 2 is the best show I have ever seen by the band...period.

Just my 2 cents.

:up::up:

Boston II rocked hard. Snow Patrol bringing the U2 crew on stage and then having the U2 crew give Gary the feather boa was great. :lol: U2 were just fantastic. The bad reviews from the prior night must of set something off with the band because they were on fire on the second night. I'm still suffering post show depression after that show. It was that good.

It's true. When I rate the shows I attended this leg i put Boston II above Boston I. :applaud:

But, even being from new england the shows that rocked it for me were Wembley Night 2 (the crowd just seemed way more out of control that night than the first) and Chicago night 2 (hearing YBR live was amazing for me and bumped it over chicago night 1)

So for me personally its in this order:
Wembley 2
Wembley 1
Chicago 2
chicago 1
Boston 2
Boston 1

:applaud:

Tampa and Norman (tied for 1st) (Tampa might have gotten the edge except that I had to leave early because my sister got heat exhaustion :reject:. Norman was a great, all around fun time.)

Toronto 2 (great sound, great view of the CN tower and lights during the show, lower level seats almost level with GA, so it kind of felt like I was almost in GA :lol: )

Toronto 1

Chicago 1 (might have been higher except for the obnoxious drunk girl in front of me who was a big distraction from MLK onwards :angry: )

Chicago 2 (partly because I was in "club seats" and the people I was sitting around were a little slow to warm up :lol: ).

Glasgow because nobodies mentioned it and it was my first ever U2 gig! the crowd where up for it and the atmosphere was eletric! :D

Actually, Cathal has. I want to ask HIM at the end of all this what he thought the best show was. But even then, you're right, it will be heavily influenced by his own experience at each particular show.

Exactemente - although I didn't actually see every show. However there is a lurker on Interference who I met for the first time in Phoenix and again briefly in LA and Vancouver who has been to more shows than me. Reveal yourself and your favs please!

Anyway, I don't have a single best show, these are a few favs for different reasons (in chronological order):

- Barcelona - cos it'd been four years, I'd no idea what to expect, I had that "oh I love this song" moment for every song, and the setting and atmosphere were spectacular

- Amsterdam 2 - first play of Bad, Elevation and UTEOTW

- Dublin 1 - the most Irish of the three shows with Bono really laying on the north Dub boys spiel

- Chorzow - magical atmosphere in a near pitch black stadium, Bono was really emotional cos of the crazy Polish crowd

- Gelsenkirchen - cos I was really pished

- Boston 2 - my first time in the pit (three rows from back rail dead centre), and a fantastic show, with Melissa onstage during UTEOTW, and Bono taking Michelle's flag - it's great when people you know get an involvement in the show

- New York 1 - the volume coming from the stands was deafening from the very start

- Houston - cos I met Bono before the show, and I was down in the pit with Maria and Joanne going crazy - and Bono actually noticed them a couple of times during the show

- Pasadena - cos I had a great time watching it with Brad and Javi, two of the guys I did the Phoenix-Grand Canyon-Vegas-LA road trip with

- Vancouver - cos I was all dead emotional cos it was the last show of a crazy year and I unashamedly let myself in the sound

So ten best shows!

Cath, was the lurker a gentleman that has seen around 60 shows? Was he in RZ 2? I'm trying to find his email addy.. because I misplaced it and I have some photos I want to send to him.
He's supposed to meet up with Dallas to get a guitar signed... same guy?
just curious.. pm me if you do know how email addy.. thanks much.

Cath, was the lurker a gentleman that has seen around 60 shows? Was he in RZ 2? I'm trying to find his email addy.. because I misplaced it and I have some photos I want to send to him.
He's supposed to meet up with Dallas to get a guitar signed... same guy?
just curious.. pm me if you do know how email addy.. thanks much.

Hey lemon_drop, it doesn't sound like the same person to me. I don't actually know their Interference name nor have their email address sorry. And no no no let's not turn this into a "Guess who?" contest, a person's preference of anonymity being respected and all. This is when I'm gonna regret mentioning this.

PS I think there were only 44 shows - and my name is Cathal :)

PPS So there may be a lucky fan who saw all the shows! Class!

My apologies for not getting your name correct. I also wasn't trying to cause any issues.

No apology required mate, it's a common mistake! I had a tarot card reading in Sedona and I was told to get in touch with my feminine side, so you're probably doing me a favour :)

Saw nine 360 shows on this tour, from different vantage points. The 360 sound system is awesome but it is a shame when it gets ruined by the acoustics of each individual stadium, especially in the upper deck. All the seats I had in the lower deck, the sound was great. But we are stuck with the enormo stadiums until they finish the 360 tour next year. The stadiums are just too big and impersonal no matter how hard u2 tries. I’ll go see them play anywhere but I hope they bring it back to the smaller arena’s for the next tour.

The sound issues aside here are my favorites of the one’s I attended:

Wembley 2-upper deck, sound better then night 1 due to roof open, but it still was muffled but we had Bad
Boston 2-red zone #1
Chicago 2-red zone #2, Bad again and YBR
New Jersey 2-lower deck seats
Wembley 1-upper deck sound bounced off roof and was muffled
New Jersey 1-lower deck seats
Chicago 1-upper deck
DC-lower deck seats
Tampa-upper deck and was just plain awful due to a strong echo

for the north american leg, chicago 2. of course i'm biased because i was there, but come on. your. blue. room. let me tell you, being there and hearing the organ intro and knowing it was its live debut...i'm not gonna lie, it still brings a tear to my eye. hell, watching videos of it on youtube still gets me misty eyed.
THIS. Literally word for word.

Shows I attended, ranking based mostly on my location on the pitch and crowd behavior:

13. Amsterdam 1 - Waited all day in line for nothing, got Inner Circle but behind the stage, crap view

12. Dublin 2 - Again waited all day in organized but tense GA line, ended up second row Adam but behind obnoxious front row fans who jumped and pumped their fists skywards to every single song directly in my angle to Bono

11. Zagreb 1 - Walked in at 7pm and got Inner Circle, but endless parade of people walking in and out getting food and drinks, wanted to start punching them, sound was too low, girl in front of us complained that we were singing too loudly

10. Zagreb 2 - Fought with (now ex-) girlfriend before the show, showed up at 6pm and got Inner Circle again, but instead sat on stairs to the far side, giving me my only full view of the stage and first sense of being at a big rock concert

9. Pasadena - RZ2 Front Rail, too far away from the stage, but hung out with cool RZ fans all day and didn't have to suffer the chaotic GA line, ran the small RZ line with success despite clueless security, Slash with Black Eyed Peas was the highlight

8. Dublin 3 - Ticket scanners didn't work, ended up Back Rail Center, great sound, cool to turn around and watch the crazy Outer Rail fans when the guys came out on the catwalk, but no room to move around, tall people blocking view of the main stage

7. London 2 - Waited since 6am in cold GA queue, got Outer Rail between Bono and Edge, excellent sound, great young French fans on our right (see photo in Rolling Stone magazine), Bono knelt in front of us during the Magnificent/BD interlude, but security guard/steward stood directly in my face the whole show

6. Gelsenkirchen - Waited since 6:30am in a mellow, organized queue, got Outer Rail Center, Bono knelt directly in front of us again, loud crowd

5. Chorzow - Queued since 7am, met a load of great young Polish U2 fans, queue broke down in the end, ticket scanner didn't work, ended up Outer Rail Adam and was bummed, but New Year's Day with the Polish Flag action made up for it, surreal atmosphere (oh, and cos Cathal was really pished)

4. Dublin 1 - Dream come true seeing U2 in Ireland, showed up at 4pm, got Inner Circle on far side of Edge, not a good view, but Bono was in a fantastic mood and the crowd was amazing, the loudest outdoor U2 crowd I have ever experienced, gave me goosebumps

3. Las Vegas - Lined up since the day before in a great GA line, ended up Front Rail between Edge and Bono, my favorite spot, Black Eyed Peas rocked, Fergie gave me 10 seconds of flirtation time, really friendly crowd of hardcore fans all around us, U2 loose and having fun

2. Amsterdam 2 - Front Rail Center, surprising setlist at the time, crowd loud as hell, Bono singing intro to "Bad" while flat on his back, very emotional show

1. London 1 - Front Rail Center, excellent Elbow opened, Bono put on the greatest performance I have ever seen, totally intense and passionate from the first moments of "Breathe", crowd was stellar

Overall, an amazing tour so far. Looking forward to 2010.

Just throwing in my two cents - Boston II was an epic show. The band was just on, the crowd was out of control, and Bono had a ton of interaction with the audience. At the end he even seemed at a loss for words and looked almost moved to tears. He finally just said, "Thank you for a great, great, great night."

Epic night.

Back
Top Bottom