arena tour in 2012 more rumours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When God Pt. II opens every show on the tour, you'll all be kicking yourselves underneath that mini-claw.
Fixed that for you. :wink:

I've been saying since 2009 that it would be THE thing to add to the 360 merchandise. Make miniature claws that people can build themselves like a ship and such. And get ready made ones too for the lazy people. It would sell, who wouldn't want a mini claw on their desk or table? :D
A K'NEX Build-Your-Own-Claw Kit would be the best thing ever.

An arena claw tour in 2012?

Please.

This is U2 we're talking about.

Not only is there not going to be any tour in 2012, there will be no ALBUM in 2012.

We might hear a new album in 2013. More likely 2014. And then another world tour to follow.

Just going by history. 4-5 years between albums and tours. Sorry to be a realist but U2 hasn't operated otherwise for nearly 20 years now.

I've been saying since 2009 that it would be THE thing to add to the 360 merchandise. Make miniature claws that people can build themselves like a ship and such. And get ready made ones too for the lazy people. It would sell, who wouldn't want a mini claw on their desk or table? :D

Yes! That would be amazing. My dad could put one in his model train layout with little people standing under it.

An arena claw tour in 2012?

Please.

This is U2 we're talking about.

Not only is there not going to be any tour in 2012, there will be no ALBUM in 2012.

We might hear a new album in 2013. More likely 2014. And then another world tour to follow.

Just going by history. 4-5 years between albums and tours. Sorry to be a realist but U2 hasn't operated otherwise for nearly 20 years now.

I'd say there might be an album in 2012. But most of what comes out of Bono's mouth? :rolleyes:

Remember there was only 2 years 6 months and a bit between the last Vertigo show and the first 360. Albeit those last Vertigo shows had been delayed, but then so have the final 360 shows. I imagine there will be considerable pressure on U2 to tour again sooner rather than later as there are very very few acts who can shift tickets like they can, and in a struggling music industry, live is where the money is at.

My gut feel is that despite all the inevitable rumours I don't expect to see them on the road again for about 18 months+.

I hope not an arena tour. I would never be able to get tickets. I saw U2 in Baltimore on June 22nd. There was around 80,000 people there.

A stor said:
I hope not an arena tour. I would never be able to get tickets. I saw U2 in Baltimore on June 22nd. There was around 80,000 people there.

Yeah, but many of those people are hangers-on who wouldn't try to get tickets as much as you would. Of the 6 GA I got for Baltimore, one went to a friend who hasn't been to any band's concert since pre-2000 and only owns Achtung, and two went to a friend's roommate and his girlfriend, both of whom were nervous about going because they heard that "they're playing a lot of songs that people can't recognize." When nosebleeds account for a decent number of the crowd and cost only $30, you end up with a ton of concert-goers who would barely even meet the criteria to be called casual fans. These people wouldn't even know when the tickets go on sale.

Yeah, it'll be harder to get tickets to an arena show, but you'll get them if you try. And the payoff for a much more intimate gig (and a better one, IMO) is worth it.

Remember there was only 2 years 6 months and a bit between the last Vertigo show and the first 360. Albeit those last Vertigo shows had been delayed, but then so have the final 360 shows. I imagine there will be considerable pressure on U2 to tour again sooner rather than later as there are very very few acts who can shift tickets like they can, and in a struggling music industry, live is where the money is at.

They should play more shows like Winnipeg. I saw a shitload of U2 hoodies at that one because it got cold. :wink:

I'm curious what percentage merch does play. There have been a lot of people in $40 t-shirts at the last 3 shows I've been to.
(of course a lot of people in $5/$10 knock-offs, too)

I see no excusable reason why this album wouldn't come out before fall of 2012. They've already been working with Danger Mouse for quite awhile. They said they're taking off August/September, and then getting back to work after that in October, giving them an entire year until the proposed release date. U2 are probably going to want a fall release, due to the surge in sales that they experienced with ATYCLB & HTDAAB (and did not with NLOTH). Hopefully they listen to Danger Mouse, because he's a great producer and I think he'd do a good job of getting U2 out of their comfort zone while maintaining the integrity of the "U2 SOUND".

Surely U2 have to feel the pressure to have a record out in the fall of 2012. With NLOTH being a flop, U2 haven't really been "popular" in the media since 2006. And people say "they've been on tour for 2 years, they're going to wait 4 more years to tour again". That may be true, but hopefully not. Because while the 360 tour will in fact last 25 months, they will have only played 110 concerts, with considerable breaks between tour legs, and even multiple days off between most shows. Compare that with 113 shows in 9 months on Elevation. So really, with the relaxing tour schedule, it probably isn't that grueling for the band.

I can totally see an arena/stadium mix tour in 2013 for a 2012 album. I say arena/stadium mix because, honestly, if they can sell the tickets why not? By 2013 it will be 4 years since they've played in places that they played in 2009, and 3 years since 2010. I'd say most European cities will be able to sell out stadiums by then. The US will be different, since many cities will have just had a stadium show in 2011. I'd say arenas for most cities, with some stadiums in the bigger US cities. Then by early 2014 I'd say it's be about time to hit Australia/NZ/Japan/South Africa/South America again.

It's entirely doable, I think. Arena tour = more shows, which I think they're trying to do the opposite of at this point.

I can totally see an arena/stadium mix tour in 2013 for a 2012 album. I say arena/stadium mix because, honestly, if they can sell the tickets why not? By 2013 it will be 4 years since they've played in places that they played in 2009, and 3 years since 2010. I'd say most European cities will be able to sell out stadiums by then. The US will be different, since many cities will have just had a stadium show in 2011. I'd say arenas for most cities, with some stadiums in the bigger US cities. Then by early 2014 I'd say it's be about time to hit Australia/NZ/Japan/South Africa/South America again.

It's entirely doable, I think. Arena tour = more shows, which I think they're trying to do the opposite of at this point.

For their the next tour, the band will probably go in the same direction that the Stones, AC/DC, and Madonna have gone in. They will do mostly arenas and some stadiums (Rogers Centre, Soldier Field, Meadowlands Stadium, etc.) in North America, and then stadiums everywhere else in the world.

By the way, I've been dying to see U2 in Dublin in Croke Park.:drool:

For their the next tour, the band will probably go in the same direction that the Stones, AC/DC, and Madonna have gone in. They will do mostly arenas and some stadiums (Rogers Centre, Soldier Field, Meadowlands Stadium, etc.) in North America, and then stadiums everywhere else in the world.

By the way, I've been dying to see U2 in Dublin in Croke Park.:drool:

Cant see them doing croke park again id put my money on u2,s next gig in ireland to be at the new aviva stadium in dublin

Cant see them doing croke park again id put my money on u2,s next gig in ireland to be at the new aviva stadium in dublin

I'll have to agree with this. They were rumoured to be the first to play that stadium, and it's a nicer venue than Croke, being in the middle of the city rather than out of it, and no bitching residents!

Back
Top Bottom