Are U2 any good live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know. According to some, it's my fault U2 sucked when I saw them in a stadium.

Er... must have missed that one. And no harm to you, but you so have a choice this tour, you could just give it a miss. I know that we're all big U2 fans, but if the whole stadium thing bothers you that much...

Only time I've seen them was in Croke Park, 3rd night last tour, right at the front, loved it. To be honest though, thinking back they did seem to be elevated (...) quite a bit, comparing it to something like the elevation DVD it did seem to be quite detached, I'm hoping this tour the stage is at least a bit closer to the fans.

So all in all, yeah... they're OK live.

I was at both the gigs mentioned in the opening post! At least I think I was cause my recollection is somewhat different!!!

Zooropa at Celtic Park was awesome - best U2 gig I have been to!!! Vertigo at Hampden, although not as good as Zoo (but what ever will be!!) was a great gig!!

U2 in Glasgow is always special

The answer to the above question is of course YES! But . . . I have seen U2 on two occasions now, once at Celtic Park in 93 and Vertigo at Hampden 05. Both of these shows in my opinion haven't been memorable and the reason for this is football stadiums are for football not concerts. It's not just U2 I'm talking about it's any artist how plays these venues. After the Vertigo tour I said I wouldn't go back to another stadium gig but after the hype and promotion the band done my heart over ruled my head and I'm going to Hampden again for the 360 gig! I suppose the difference is I don't have high expectations this time and I was even dreaming about the gig last night and it was quite disapointing. So hopefully this time around I can see U2 pull it off they way I know they can despite the drawbacks of the venue. Also I'm a bit disapointed about the 360 theme as I feel it's a little misleading, 360 suggest in the round, (middle of the park) not behind the goals. Anyway glad to get that of my chest. :)

I would say after attending the 360 Hampden gig it was the best U2 show I've seen. However they will never be 5 star performers in my opinion. After spending 90 pounds for a two hour performance I don't feel it was value for money but I can understand the costs as I doubt there has ever been a bigger stage. U2 have always went for technology i.e. stage and lights in a big way which is fine if they are used as seasoning like salt and pepper but the balance for me has always shifted too much emphasis on technology rather than the most important thing –the music!

To compare I recently saw Bruce Springsteen at Hampden -60 pounds. All very basic lights, stage etc. The show lasted 3 hours straight without Bruce leaving the stage and it was one of the best gigs I have been to in my entire life. I left walking on air.

U2 should go back to basics for me. U2’s encore has to be the weakest I’ve seen. This will be my last U2 gig. I will stay a fan of sort, buy the next album or DVD.

I have seen u2 indoor on The UF Tour, JT and Elevation Tours. Saw them in a stadium on JT Tour, Zoo Tv, Popmart, Vertigo and 360 tours. For my money.....Stadiums are a far better vibe/gig/all round experience. The U2 sound is too big for indoor venues.
Bottom line tho....al take them any which way they come!

To compare I recently saw Bruce Springsteen at Hampden -60 pounds. All very basic lights, stage etc. The show lasted 3 hours straight without Bruce leaving the stage and it was one of the best gigs I have been to in my entire life. I left walking on air.

I have been to every u2 show you mention and was also at the Brucie gig a month ago or whatever. While I agree Bruce was brilliant...the whole u2 experience is far superior. Even the crowd were better at u2. They were awsome. Theres even a reference to that on u2.com.
My mate....who was laso at the u2 shows you mention, as well as the recent Boss gig....well he rates 360 as the best gig he ever been to.

Back
Top Bottom