Anyone ever use Greyhound Bus Discovery Pass.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lpingb

The Fly
Live in Green Bay and want to go to some of the shows further out. Chicago and Pittsburgh we will drive to but we have tickets to SLC and Nashville and Michigan. Thinking about getting a 60 day discovery pass for Greyhound, just wondering if anyone else has done such and what they though. Cost is about $540 for a sixty day pass.

It's been years since I've been on a Greyhound, and never on trips that long. Are the concerts enough days apart that it gives you enough time to get there via bus?

And in other news ... yay, Green Bay! I'm originally from the Wausau area but also have family in Green Bay and the Appleton area. :)

concert timing.

the concert timing is spaced well enough that it wouldnt be an issue. I live on Oneida Street in Green Bay. Used to work on College Ave in Appleton. The 1500 miles takes about 1.75 days via greyhound which I figure is about how long it would take to drive, so the bonus is no hotel as the bus is moving while im sleeping. With gas most likely hitting $3.80ish a gallon this summer im starting to lean a bit more towards greyhound except for the Winnipeg show...

Somehow Greyhound thinks its a fun ride of 2 days 18 hours and 35 minutes..and just for giggles they route the trip via Detroit....Jeepers I can drive the 750 miles in 12 hours.......

Good point about the gas and sleeping! Sounds like you know what you're in for with bus travel, so it's probably a decent option.

And I think my step-brother used to live on Oneida Street! Ha, small world. :)

so the bonus is no hotel as the bus is moving while im sleeping.

Plus you get that 'authentic' being on the road experience.

I take Greyhound all the time. People frown on it but Public Transportation is really looked down upon in North America.

canedge said:
People frown on it but Public Transportation is really looked down upon in North America.

Greyhound is considered public transportation? Is flying not PT?

so the bonus is no hotel as the bus is moving while im sleeping.

Plus you get that 'authentic' being on the road experience.

I take Greyhound all the time. People frown on it but Public Transportation is really looked down upon in North America.

Hitchhiking is generally considered a superior mode of transportation in NA over Greyhound

:wink:

I took a few Greyhound coaches in the US in 2009, an overnighter from Raleigh to Atlanta, and an all-day coach from Atlanta to Tampa were the two best. It was a very sociable experience. People brought bags and boxes of fast food and swapped with each other across the bus. Lots of squaddies too.

oh don't do it- I used Greyhound when I travelled across the US- back in the mid 90's.

it was an unremittingly awful experience each and every time- they lost baggage each time I had to switch bus, they stop at every tin pot town along the way, they're noisy and uncomfortable, the bus stops are always in the most horrible parts of town, the journeys take longer than they would by almost any other means (including donkey cart- which would have been more comfortable)... and then there were the other passengers- the less said about most of them the better

if PT is the other choice I would use Amtrak if you can- I did one journey on Amtrak and it was so much better

$3.80 might seem expensive, count your lucky stars you don't live in the UK where it's nearer $9 a gallon

Despite what djparky said...:crack:...I'm going to be taking Greyhound between most cities this summer, because it's all I can afford, really.

Anyone who's used it...how are they with keeping on schedule? Do they reach their destintion pretty much when the schedule says they will? I would not like to be getting where I'm going late considering GA lineups and stuff...

Amtrak is fine albeit expensive

Good advice suggesting a new national railways, I'm sure that's easy to do

Actually, if you look at the New Deal programs of the the 30s now is the perfect time.
It makes economic sense to do so.

Getting funding is something else.

Hmmm this seems like an interesting idea. We'll be doing hire car though I think. Are you in Cathal for hire car do you think Cathal???

Back
Top Bottom