360 stage not able to fit in Subiaco Oval, Perth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuvandPeace1980

War Child
I have it from a reliable source, an event manager in Perth, that the U2360 stage is going to have to be significantly modified to be setup in Perth. Anyone heard anything about this??

the only difficulty might be access to getting the equipment on field, but that may not be an issue. no height or space difficulties to speak of. subiaco will easily have the biggest pitch of all venues on this leg.

The place was built in 1908 and doesn't hold that many concerts. Time to take out a concrete wall or get a big crane to lift all the CLAW bits over the stands. I think a crane was used to get gear into Fenway in Boston for the Stones or Police.

World Stadiums - Subiaco Oval in Perth

Google Maps

Subiaco Oval | Austadiums

Subiaco Oval - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The field itself is huge and will probably have close to 20,000 punters. Perhaps the biggest field of the entire tour(Nice France 2009 should be up there)

the load in (and out) won't be fun, but that access tunnel in the southwest corner looks like it'll do the job.

i don't think you'll find a western australian who would complain about the stadium being torn down at all.

But wouldn't it be cool if there's this whole other configuration that they built into it - the stage TRANSFORMS! - and just haven't had to use yet.

But yeah, an AFL pitch is an AFL pitch, and it's much bigger than a rugby or soccer pitch, and the Subiaco pitch is... massive. Perhaps they are aligning it differently, because of the sheer distance there between stage/stand?

I highly doubt they would do ANYTHING to the claw, with so many shows still left on the tour.

I have it from a reliable source, an event manager in Perth, that the U2360 stage is going to have to be significantly modified to be setup in Perth. Anyone heard anything about this??

This really doesn't make any sense. Fit wise there should be no problem, he's either talking about getting the structure in or orientation on the field.

The claw itself will not be modified.

they played mt smart stadium in auckland.

the containers at mt smart were kept behind the west stand, which is diagonally opposite of the service entrance at mt smart.

U2 360? Tour - Mt Smart Sadium

This has a really nice setup photo from the days before the show.

I think the issue with Perth is simply getting all the trucks into the stadium including CLAW legs and CLAW cranes. They had the same issue in Barcelona where a concrete wall had to be taken out.

Wouldnt Jake Berry have been out to advance this stadium months before the actual show?

You'd think they would have thought of this before they planned to play there. I trust U2.

are you sure?, he's quite large

bonoBIG_228x323.jpg

Weren't they planning to leave one of the claws in Australia or did I dream this? LOL!

I think they were talking about it as an idea. But this was before Bono's back trouble reshuffled everything, when Australia/South America would likely have been the last dates of the tour.

I think they were talking about it as an idea. But this was before Bono's back trouble reshuffled everything, when Australia/South America would likely have been the last dates of the tour.

Right... that's when it was said... BEFORE the postponement. Obviously doesn't make sense now, but thanks for confirming that I wasnt' going crazy! :up::lol:

Willie and the others folks that designed the stage went to all the stadiums well ahead of the tour. So it seems hard to imagine that if they've done the homework that they've said that they've done... that there would be a problem.

BVS said:
This really doesn't make any sense. Fit wise there should be no problem, he's either talking about getting the structure in or orientation on the field.

The claw itself will not be modified.

Let's hope this is true :)

My God. Revolting.

Yes.

But that was a while ago.

He very visibly does not even have a gut now.

I think he went on a diet/exercise program just so he could fit in Perth!!!!

We do know that Bono was the initial spark behind the claw. Look how far in advance he planned?:lol:

Seriously, though, no doubt, as others have said, Willie, Jake, etc have this all figured out and have for some time.

Back
Top Bottom