2011 tour rumours/discussion/timothius memorial thread, part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nobody really knows why the 2002 shows never happened. The excuse was they were working on new material. I can't imagine U2, McGuinne$$ or LN turning down the chance to make that much money. There must've been some kind of reason. Also, I remember a stadium leg was rumored in South America for late 2002.

Nobody really knows why the 2002 shows never happened. The excuse was they were working on new material. I can't imagine U2, McGuinne$$ or LN turning down the chance to make that much money. There must've been some kind of reason. Also, I remember a stadium leg was rumored in South America for late 2002.

don't talk about that :sad:

I still dream of our National Stadium with the lights on and the Elevation Influx remix playing

I'm kind of ready for 360 to end, personally. I love the tour and all, but it feels like it's being really dragged out at this point - even in 2011.

I'm kind of ready for 360 to end, personally. I love the tour and all, but it feels like it's being really dragged out at this point - even in 2011.

I don't feel that it's been dragged out yet. There were 7 months of downtime from November of last year to May of this year. And then Bono hurt his back, which resulted in another two months of inactivity.

There have been/going to be a whole lot of gaps in between legs on this tour.

Now if the tour goes on into 2012 (even with a new album), then that would be dragging it out.

I think they'll end, if not in North America, a couple more Euro gigs. Maybe wrap up at a couple gigs at the new stadium in Dublin

I think the band will do all of their future Dublin gigs at Aviva Stadium. I heard they got fined last year for creating too much noise.:huh:

you gotta put yourself in the shoes of the cities/countries that haven't seen them yet. can't really say it's dragged on for them.

i will say that during the europe leg this year i became less and less interested in setlist parties and when the next show was

then they announced nz/australia and i decided to go

everything changes when you get to the stadium
everything changes when space oddity starts, the screen fires up and you see them make that slow walk to the stage
and everything changes when you hear and see them go into stingray

merry christmas everyone

Would 9/11 been a factor for pulling the 2002 tour? I remember a full slate of dates being posted here from secondary sources like venues and scalper sites.

I also remember them making a LONG to decide on whether or not to do the Super Bowl. They were the first blockbuster "rock" act to do it, though MJ did it a decade earlier.

As for the 360 tour, I'm beginning to find it very wierd that a tour over 3 calandar years only got one pass through UK and one pass through Ireland. Glastonbury tickets aren't really available and the weekend is a hassle to the average concert goer.

Would 9/11 been a factor for pulling the 2002 tour? I remember a full slate of dates being posted here from secondary sources like venues and scalper sites.

I also remember them making a LONG to decide on whether or not to do the Super Bowl. They were the first blockbuster "rock" act to do it, though MJ did it a decade earlier.

As for the 360 tour, I'm beginning to find it very wierd that a tour over 3 calandar years only got one pass through UK and one pass through Ireland. Glastonbury tickets aren't really available and the weekend is a hassle to the average concert goer.

Kiss played in 97 I think, but the halftime show wasn't the super-mega show that is now.

I think the band will do all of their future Dublin gigs at Aviva Stadium. I heard they got fined last year for creating too much noise.:huh:

Yeah they got fined last year, and in 2005... then in 2001 they got shit for playing at Slane twice when they went over the max amount of gigs allowed held at slane.... they always get shit from the Dubliners, and it's not like they can't pay the fine. :shrug: No reason not to do Croke imo. Though I haven't been to Aviva yet, so I'll see how that goes next year.*

*yes, I'm still hoping for new unconfirmed rumours.

I still find it funny that the 360 tour stop in Dublin, their home gig, only had270 degrees of seating. Even stranger was a smaller total crowd count in 2009 than 2005, despite all being sellouts.

How is that strange? Compare the 360 stage to the Vertigo stage. The 360 stage is MUCH bigger, thus it takes more standing room. And since there's no seating behind the stage for the lack of tribunes it's not making up for anything.

How is that strange? Compare the 360 stage to the Vertigo stage. The 360 stage is MUCH bigger, thus it takes more standing room. And since there's no seating behind the stage for the lack of tribunes it's not making up for anything.

the 360 tour should have some side seats that couldn't be sold in 2005.

AFAIK, if they do Aviva next year it would be the first time in their career they've sold rear-stage seating at an Irish show.

you gotta put yourself in the shoes of the cities/countries that haven't seen them yet. can't really say it's dragged on for them.

i will say that during the europe leg this year i became less and less interested in setlist parties and when the next show was

then they announced nz/australia and i decided to go

everything changes when you get to the stadium
everything changes when space oddity starts, the screen fires up and you see them make that slow walk to the stage
and everything changes when you hear and see them go into stingray

merry christmas everyone

True true, I can't argue with that.

Was the Spire in Cardiff chopped off incase venue management wanted to close the roof. Some stadiums can shut the roof in 10 minutes if rain is an issue.

Don't think the Spire could fit under the closed roof.

Didn't someone say the spire or pole/tower it's on can be lowered for closed roofs? I suppose if there's a chance they'd need to close the roof, they could be prepared with the shorter spire.

Didn't someone say the spire or pole/tower it's on can be lowered for closed roofs? I suppose if there's a chance they'd need to close the roof, they could be prepared with the shorter spire.

I don't think the spire can move once it's up. The height has to be chose before they build it around the same time they put the screen up.

Right, I meant they could go in using the short spire in case there was a threat of having to close the roof.

But wait a minute, why is it even an issue? We know they'll play in the rain - they have those little stage umbrella things to protect the equipment. They played in freaking downpours in Moscow and a few other places.

Either they'd decide it might rain and go in with the shorter spire in case the roof had to close, or they'd say "fuck it" and put out the stage umbrella thingies.

it depends on if the rest of the stadium is waterproofed, i assume.

the new stadium in indianapolis can't handle rain because there's no drainage for the field or protection for any of the speakers and screens installed in the stadium. it's bound to be on venue by venue basis.

i only learned that this morning.

it depends on if the rest of the stadium is waterproofed, i assume.

the new stadium in indianapolis can't handle rain because there's no drainage for the field or protection for any of the speakers and screens installed in the stadium. it's bound to be on venue by venue basis.

The claim that McGuiness can't find an indoor stadium big enough in Japn is disingenuous when 4-5 other venues so far have had the similar height issues that didn't effect the show.

BTW, is there more than one spire, or did they just use fewer pieces in the building with low rooves.

YouTube - U2 - Popmart Tokyo 1998 (Proshot) RARE

The Claw Vitals

The first couple seconds of the youtube clips have show the Popmart stage in the Tokyo Dome. The Arch is 30 meters high, same height as they claw structure. The tip of the 360 stage is 50 meters.

Rolling Stones, Tokyo Dome | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Stones Biger Bang stage in Tokyo Dome
34. The Rolling Stones | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Bigger Bang stage in BC Place

Tokyo Dome (1988) | Structurae
This says height of TD is 56m, which is 5 meters higher than the full 360 stage.

All these Asia rumours are kinda odd really. First McG tells someone 360 will end in Asia, then saying to someone else U2 aren't playing Japan. :huh:

I'm sure with a modified spire The Claw can fit under the Tokyo Dome. But probably they're not heading over there because of the general status. Though when they went to Saitama in Vertigo they performed three shows - equivalent to just one stadium show. All sold out.

I don't see them doing anymore shows in Europe in 2011- it wouldn't be financially viable to do a handful of shows especially if it meant crossing the English channel and then the Irish sea- hell the couldn't be arsed to do it this year when they toured the rest of Europe

also Ireland is in deep financial trouble at the moment- U2 rocking up with all of that going wouldn't go down well with the locals- and for various reasons they got a frosty reception in 2009- which I'm sure they won't have forgotten

Heh. Their fellow Irishmen seem to hate them already, so I'm sure that's not going to stop them from doing what they want to do.

Considering the number of fans from around the world who see Dublin as a great place to see them, why not draw in some tourist dollars by calling their fans to Dublin?

Back
Top Bottom