Review: Monty Are I Release ‘Exhilarating’ Debut Record*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//500/11265montyandi-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Jonathan Swartz

Alternative punk/rock/grunge band Monty Are I burst onto the music scene in the summer of 2006 with their impressive debut CD entitled “Wall of People.” The band, originally from Cranston, Rhode Island, consists of Steve Aiello, (guitarist and vocals), Mike Matarese on bass, Andrew Borstein on keyboards and trombone, and twin brothers Justin and Ryan Muir, who play the drums, vocals, trumpet, and guitar. The CD combines alternative, and both mellow and heavy metal styles to teach lessons on life’s tribulations, as well as the obstacles one must overcome to achieve success in life, while encouraging everyone to follow their dreams.

The album opens with “Between the Sheets” a fast-paced meditation on the struggle for love and the desire for independence. The band consistently sings about wanting to be themselves on this track, and the music shows that they want to be independent from everyone else, but also demonstrates that people are willing to sacrifice everything for love and be accepted for who they are. “Between the Sheets” is among one of the band’s most popular tunes among its fans in the Providence area, and one of the most requested tunes among frequent listeners to WBRU 95.5 FM, the station that frequently plays the band’s songs.

Another popular track is “Dublin Waltz,” which presents the band’s mellower side. It's a welcome combination of their self-described “action rock” style, with a soft tone that encourages people to dance to their songs. “Dublin Waltz” is what it is, a soft song that turns into a strong, dynamic one towards the end, while helping the band reach new, and creative, heights.

11265montyandi.jpg

The strongest tracks on “Wall of People” are “In this Legacy,” a mediation on life’s frustrations and living it to the fullest. It is also an “anti-establishment” song in every sense of the word. Monty Are I, as evidenced by this song, encourages rebellion against the wrongs of the world, and the lengths people will go to make sure their lives are the best they can be. Other tracks worth listening to include the final two “Tie off Your Veins” and “Only the Weak,” which blend into each other creating a sensation so exhilarating, it imagines the listener is dreaming of an exotic location, and is with the band in person. “Tie off Your Veins” and “Only the Weak” directly transition each other, playing as two songs combined into one long, grand finale, successfully mixing the alternative rock style with the more laid back style of the keyboards and the trumpet.

If “Wall of People” is any indication, Monty Are I are one breakout hit from gaining national (and perhaps worldwide) recognition as one of the most exciting, up-and-coming young American bands to break through in a long time.

For more information on Monty Are I, please visit the official website and MySpace page. “Wall of People” was released in August 2006 on Stolen Transmission.

Back
Top Bottom