Interview: Moises Szarf, ‘The Ethereal Connection: a Synthesis of U2 and The Beatles’

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/11265rock_cycle-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Mark Reed

Moises Szarf has an unusual idea. One not many people may necessarily agree with (some people think he's a bit … odd, which is understandable). His hypothesis is that the eight-year career of The Beatles matches the 30 or so years of U2 in both style and content.

The Ethereal Connection: a Synthesis of U2 and The Beatles” is the website he uses to posit this idea: a vast, and sometimes confusing archive of theories and explorations. It is neither easy to understand or explain.

Over several months, Interference engaged in dialog with Szarf to explore and understand the theory and ideas of the site. What is clear, is that Szarf’s work in its current incarnation is not easily digestible; rock ‘n’ roll is a process with three phases, each phase represented by a specific band, and sometimes, it gets complicated.

So here we are today, one year and half later, finally, bringing this to a closure in the form of an interview because two recent events have brought a sense of urgency to this matter:

-U2 recording their next album at Abbey Road studios.
-Brian Eno is producing Coldplay’s next album.

I know it seems confusing at first, but let’s have a little patience and hear it from Szarf directly.

Moises, what are you proposing with your hypothesis? What is its central aspect?

The main idea is that “rock ‘n’ roll is a process with a purpose.” It is something that had a beginning and, if everything goes well, will have an ending, and in between, a progression takes places. So if rock ‘n’ roll is a process, Elvis was the Big Bang, and from then on, it started to evolve. The first part of the process was carried by The Beatles career, then after their split, rock ‘n’ roll became grandiose and perhaps lost its vision; but then, punk injected new air, giving breathing room for U2 to emerge in a place when an idea doesn't necessarily need musical competence to express itself. U2 is the Second Band carrying the second part of the process, after which a Third Band, will take the process to its conclusion.

I believe that everything has purpose in this world, and rock ‘n’ roll shouldn’t be an exception—the highest purpose of rock ‘n’ roll is to change the world. I mean, let’s face it, consciously or unconsciously, that is what we have been aiming at since the first chord rang in Chuck Berry’s guitar. Even in the most carnal stage when rock ‘n’ roll seemed to be a mere gut reaction to the status quo, there were messianic overtones

From the first humanitarian concert, the one for Bangladesh organized by George Harrison, up to the RED campaign, rock ‘n’ roll’s humanitarian efforts have become smarter and smarter, but my suggestion is that we are still far away from doing what we really need to do, though definitely heading there. And we will be there when the Third Band concludes their career.

Who is the Third Band? Do they exist already?

Yes, Coldplay.

Why Coldplay?

Several reasons. First, the music is great. Second, the band has certain moral. Third, we are considering rock ‘n’ roll as a massive phenomenon, and Coldplay is definitely taking on the responsibility of embracing the massive scale. And fourth, the career of the Third Band, as was the case with the First and Second, has to develop progressively from album to album, and it is at this point that what is currently happening with Brian Eno producing the band. Artistically, Coldplay is obviously at the same transition point that U2 were from “War” into “The Unforgettable Fire.”

What about other bands that have been very important for rock ‘n’ roll but are not included in your scheme? Why you make no mention of the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd or more frequent ones like Nirvana or Radiohead, for example, or even more, what about Bob Dylan?

With respect to the other bands that you mentioned, and many others more, what I would say is the following: If we see rock ‘n’ roll as a whole, and we incorporate the notion that it’s purpose is to make a definitive contribution for the balancing of our planet, the Three Bands—The Beatles, U2, and Coldplay—would be the main parts of that purposeful whole, and they would be the central ones, the Spinal Chord, the Heart, and the Brain, let’s say, and the other rock bands that you mentioned would be other important parts like the stomach, the reproductive organs, the lungs, the kidneys, or the ladder; vital organs needed for the body to survive, but not the central ones.

Your website is a chronological comparison of similarities between the album covers of The Beatles and U2, which actually, is seen by many people as a stretch of the imagination.

A stretch of the imagination is kind in comparison to some other qualifications that my website has received, and I understand it, it is not something that is easy to swallow. They have to be seen as a whole, it’s easy to dismiss them if you isolate every comparison, but if you consider them in conjunction, a broad picture starts to emerge. I had an encounter with a good friend in which we decided to relate to each other the histories of our favorite bands, his The Beatles, mine U2, using the album covers arranged chronologically as guides, and when he got to the “Sgt. Pepper” period, what he was describing was the same experience I was having at that precise moment with “Achtung Baby” and “Zooropa.” That encounter happened 13 years ago in Venezuela, and it has to be understood that Anglican pop culture, even though very relevant there, it’s not as accessible as here, so even though I had heard of The Beatles, and I knew they were the greatest, I wasn’t aware of the scope of their career. Later I compared the covers of “Achtung Baby” and “Sgt. Pepper,” and the rest is history. It’s about interpreting the art of our spiritual leaders like holy scripture, the difference is that we won’t use it to make war and weapons, but to increase peace and understanding. No rifles, guitars.

So if Coldplay is the Third Band are you already looking into connections between their album covers and the ones of The Beatles and U2.

You bet I am, and I would say I have found very interesting and meaningful ones, that actually are really encouraging. In fact every one is invited to do the same and pass along their findings. That is why I have called my hypothesis “a Synthesis of U2 and The Beatles” There is a thesis, then in opposition, there is an anthithesis, and the factor that brings the two opposites together is the synthesis. So the role of Coldplay’s album covers is to be a bridge between the ones of The Beatles and U2. Actually, even though not even one time their name is mentioned in my website,the journey is setup as prayer for Coldplay, a prayer for their success, because if they are able to go full circle in the same way as The Beatles and U2 did, the rock ‘n’ roll process would be arriving to the point of the fulfillment of its purpose. It will actually be the end of something, but at the same time the beginning of something else.

11265rock_cycle.jpg

But wait a minute, let’s say you are right, and Coldplay reads this interview, wouldn’t they be discouraged to keep on going, or worst wouldn’t they just fuck off on all of this just because a bunch of people is expecting them to make the next album cover with certain traits that would have to match with a predetermined Beatles or U2 album, wouldn’t that be boring, or predictable?

Well for example let’s look at what is happening with Coldplay at the moment. Brian Eno is producing their fourth album, and many people have already noticed how similar that is to what U2 did for their fourth album as well. Coldplay is looking for a leap, a significant evolutonary step in their music, like U2 did with “The Unforgettable Fire.” So in one way you can see that as copying U2, but it’s not. The key I believe is for Coldplay to follow their heart, that is the only guarantee of a great album, an unexpected album, despite all the predictability factors involved. And the same applies to the album covers. If an album cover is the reflection of the music which in turn is the reflection of the artist, and the band sticks to that without filtering through any preconceptions, I can almost guarantee that, in Coldplay’s case, their album covers will have meaningful avenues of interpretation with the ones of The Beatles and U2. But as everything, there are pre-determined progressions, forms, patterns, that cannot be avoided, the challenge is to fill the ever-present patterns with new influxes of spirit, every time. And I believe that Coldplay and Brian Eno understand that very well.

Previously you commented on the fact that you think rock ‘n’ roll’s humanitarian efforts have evolved over time, from the Bangladesh concert up to the current RED campaign, but that they are not yet where they should be yet, what do you mean by that?

The humanitarian efforts are exactly where they should be at the moment, what I am saying is that at some point in the future they will need to evolve further to incorporate a higher knowledge, because what happens? Let’s take the example of Live Aid. It was an amazing event, but it is now known that the money raised for Ethiopia was a drop in the sea of what was needed. I strongly believe that we are headed in the right direction, that it is always worth it to have compassion and justice, and we should always increase it. What makes us different from animals, is that we are able to produce that same fine material that is produced when we die, during our lifetime, through voluntary suffering, and I am referring the kind of suffering that inner work produces, which is the suffering of going against the tide, which is risky and it hurts. The key of balancing the planet is not in saving lives but in increasing inner work while we save lives. The great thing about rock ‘n’ roll is that if it is taken collectively, it is clear that it has been an “awakener” for a very large number of people, and it’s currently awakening to it’s own purpose and fate. I am considering rock ‘n’ roll as a living being, as an individual, and we are all part of it. And of course that not everybody within the rock ‘n’ roll community will agree to this, many will see it as the most ridiculous thing ever proposed, but that’s the the way it is.

So if what you are saying is accurate, when the Third Band concludes their career all of this will sink in. That will be the moment in which it will actually starts to take place.

Another process might start right away. It sounds messianic because it is messianic, The Beatles were messianic, U2 is messianic, and Coldplay is messianic. Three chords and the truth, its’s the the trinity of rock ‘n’ roll, right?

And what happens between now and then?

U2 releases its next album, at some point disintegrates, and Coldplay goes on. I mean, do you picture U2 extending their careers a la Rolling Stones. Perhaps, who knows? Personally I wouldn’t like to see a 58 year-old Bono jumping on the stage like teenager, and I don’t think that I am less of a U2 fan for that, I just think it doesn’t fit with them.

How does the fact that U2 recently recorded at Abbey Road relates to your hypothesis?

If you take the journey in my website you will go through a chronogical comparison which seeks to equate the career of the Beatles with the one of U2, comparing each of their albums in their order of release. Chronologically, “Let it Be” is compared to “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb,” and “Abbey Road,” the last Beatles album, will be compared to next U2 album, so the fact that they started to seed the soil for it in Abbey Road is very significant in regards to my proposition. I mean, what at this moment made them do that. Why now? Why not before or after? Perhaps it’s what they needed in order to get it going, to be in that holy peace of ground, to receive that influence. It’s so palpable in “Window in The Skies,” and I believe it will be palpable in the whole album, which they say will be a departure, and I believe it will be similar to the departure The Beatles achieved from “Let it Be” into “Abbey Road.” I mean “Let it Be,” which was originally called “Get Back” was a return to their roots, in the same way as “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb” was for U2, so, in synch, an “Abbey Road” kind of leap will take place for the next U2 album.

Any other predictions for the future?

Perhaps. Coldplay’s next album will be the first one in which a picture of them will appear on the cover?

For more information, please visit http://www.theetherealconnection.com

Last edited:
... and Iron Maiden will inspire Bill and Ted. Their music will align the planets and bring them into universal harmony.

I can't wait.

On a more serious note, I wonder if Moises also speculates on the life/health/death comparisons of each band and it's members.

DEEP!!! I always believe that depending on if I'm sitting or standing my favorite sports team will win a game. If I close one eye then a come form behind rally is guaranteed. All of this is not even my choice as it has been predetermined by the universe. By the way I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night - lol.

Last edited:
life is too serious to be taken seriously

Elvis said:
... and Iron Maiden will inspire Bill and Ted. Their music will align the planets and bring them into universal harmony.

I can't wait.

On a more serious note, I wonder if Moises also speculates on the life/health/death comparisons of each band and it's members.
But Elvis, you started Interference...
the other Elvis started rock 'n roll...
U2 is the 2nd coming...
this is the best fan site...
it all makes sense! :wink:

Re: life is too serious to be taken seriously

bayou12780 said:

But Elvis, you started Interference...
the other Elvis started rock 'n roll...
U2 is the 2nd coming...
this is the best fan site...
it all makes sense! :wink:

Wasn't it Chuck Berry that started rock n roll?

Elvis just wiggled his hips and made young girls faint.

On a more serious note, I'm a huge Beatles fan... and while I do think they inspired a lot of 'rock', IMHO they were more Pop than Rock, at the time, and even now. What the Beatles were... was innovative.

...i actually agree with some of this!...equating BOmb with Let it be rings true and if 'Window' is anything to go by then the new U2 is already sounding like Abbey Road....simplistic , i know but, works for me...it certainly wouldnt suprise me if the newie was the last....

This is quite an interesting theory.... but I'm not 100% sure on Coldplay as the third-coming?!

...i am a fan of Coldplay, but i think people are looking to them as rock saviours (or whatever) out of desperation. iMean who else has put there hands up?....but even this is similar to the U2 position back i the 80's....maybe its a job that no-body is interested in anymore..:ohmy:

War Days Y

War Days Y

WarDaysY.jpg

Hard Day’s Night / X&Y

Two sides: Male/Female, Cold/Hot, DAY/NIGHT, BLACKandWHITE/ Color, X/Y. All the faces are looking into one direction, except one, which is looking backwards, into the opposite direction, The Other Side.

War / X&Y

War is a clash of two sides, two opposite forces, good against evil, allies against Nazis, coalition against insurgents, etc. X against Y could be another way of putting it, in reference to the coordinate axis system. Also, these forces could be considered, not only as opposites, but also as complementary. To put it more accurately, they start as opposites, but end as complementary, when PEACE is achieved.

I know it seems that I am out of mind, on drugs, and all that, but believe me I am not.
Moises Szarf

In depth website- will have to look at a few times to really absorb everything. I appreciate all the hard work that went into it.

Obviously this guy has too much time on his hands.....
Hey! Isn't there a song with that lyric?? Too much time on my hands......too much time on my hands....

Perhaps he should analyze that ??

Great website.
Interesting theories, very well thought out, slightly wacky...
Don't know how seriously it can be taken, but it is definitely worth a look or two...or three...

Last edited:
Very interesting indeed!

Well, you know there are some more connections.

You remember when the rumour was that PAUL IS DEAD?

There is more.

Did you know that LARRY IS DEAD??!!!

Yes U2 fans.

On the fateful morning of January 1st, 1990 after playing there "dream it all up again" concert in Dublin, Larry mysteriously disappeared!! Many think it was a motorcycle accident, many think the IRA.

U2 was "rocks hottest ticket" and couldn´t afford to stop now.

So after a careful search, they were able to find a 20 year old relative of Kevin Bacon.

The only problem was that he had no idea of how to play drums (but had the look down pat).

Thus, we now have the answer why the post JT Larry Mullen drumming is not the same it used to be and the fact he is "45" but actually looks "38"!!!!

I can´t change the world but I can cahnge the world in me

I must confess, when I read about the ethereal connection, I tought that Moises was trying to joke us, but then when I started to analyze the slides and the covers, I couldn´t do anything but to surprise myself, with the theory.
I don´t know if it´s true, what I can tell you, is that u2 is completing their cycle, HTDAAB is not a great album, I mean I´d like u2 released another JT, AB or ATYCLB, the realesed of 18 singles is not a good sing, why another recopilation?? is not the best 1980-1990 and 1990-2000 enough???
If I could add another connection, I´d tell about the distance between Bono and the rest of the band, because of the social-political job of Bono around the world, the same distance lennon kept with the rest of the beatles, caused by the influence of Yoko.
About the third band, only time will show us, if Moises had right.
I really apreciate music, U2 will be the best band ever, but I think it´s time of a new band, just like in the art´s history.
the dying of a movement to allow the borning of another.

DANO

The idea of Coldplay being a third band means they're due to release something very different for their 4th album

Moises is 1/2 on the money and 1/2 on the chronic...

There are some Beatles - U2 connections, no doubt. That the Beatles influenced U2 and many other bands and Beatles album art has influenced or even defined the genre (first with printed lyrics) is no secret.

That we're waiting on some messianic third band to "complete" the story is bizarre. That Coldplay should be that such band is astounding. X&Y is no War.

It's an interesting theory but I believe he has the wrong group. If there is a "3rd band" then it is Green Day, not Coldplay. Green Day has shown more drive and initiative to "change the world" than Coldplay has at this time.

The whole "album cover theory" is a bunch of BS, but the change the world stuff has some merit to it. I would hope that some band be it Coldplay, Green Day or someone else can pick up where Bono and the boys leave off when they finally retire.

To rephrase the thought of coldplay, they WILL probably end rock, but in a bad way. X/Y was weak. A lot's riding for them in the third album.

Personally i think , the third coming of the great rock band is and will be the arcade fire. the emotions they project through their music/sound/lyrics is much closer to a big bang than coldplay's, hands down.

coach said:
To rephrase the thought of coldplay, they WILL probably end rock, but in a bad way. X/Y was weak. A lot's riding for them in the third album.

Personally i think , the third coming of the great rock band is and will be the arcade fire. the emotions they project through their music/sound/lyrics is much closer to a big bang than coldplay's, hands down.

I don't know. I think the special thing about Coldplay is their following. It's not about what we as U2 fans think of them, it is about how their fans view them ( in the same way as we saw U2 in their beginnings) and about where Coldplay is willing to take them. Of course everything hangs on the balance. Every album is a test. But we'll see, the next Coldplay album is coimg out soon.

I think Arcade Fire is similar to Radiohead in the sense that they will reject the role of the biggest band on the planet. And to follow what The Beatles did, and what U2 has done, you have to be willing to embrace that role. Coldplay obviously does.

Back
Top Bottom