Windows 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Is anyone else planning on upgrading to Win7 pretty quickly? I've been running the release candidate for some time along side Ubuntu and OS X, and it runs much more stably than XP SP3 or Vista SP1... I'm looking forward to the RTM version.

Also, for anyone who is interested, in theory, there is a way to get Windows 7 for $16, legally, even now, before it's released, through IEEE. You have to be a student of some science or engineering class technically to join (as I am... uhh... through high school pre-ap physics), but they don't really check this. You have access to a bunch of Microsoft software through that. I haven't tried this, but I might soon. Incidentally, actually, my pre-calculus teacher was the one who originally told me about this.

Haven't tried it yet. Someone gave me a disc but I just haven't had time. I was a computer science major for about five minutes several years ago and got access to MSDN through that and it was never revoked so I've always had all the free Microsoft stuff (everything but Office, which is now just $10).

Haven't seen it in yet, but we're offering that free upgrade plan at Staples to customers who buy a computer with Vista Home Premium or above.

I think I, like most people, will just end up getting it on a new PC.

Looking to replace my five-year-old HP desktop with a microtower or something quiet eventually.

Once Windows 7 is released, how long does it take before retailers start selling new computers with that OS installed?

Is there a timeframe on when Windows 7 is coming out?

Also, is Vista really that bad? I saw several things online that suggested that a new computer purchased today with Vista is fine, as it's been much improved since first being released.

Once Windows 7 is released, how long does it take before retailers start selling new computers with that OS installed?

Is there a timeframe on when Windows 7 is coming out?

Also, is Vista really that bad? I saw several things online that suggested that a new computer purchased today with Vista is fine, as it's been much improved since first being released.

Computer manufactures are already getting copies of Windows 7 from Microsoft, so they'll be on shelves at retail stores about the same time as the boxed product. It will be officially released on 22 October; Microsoft finalized the code on 22 July, so it's just being manufactured now.

And I don't like Vista much at all, but part of that is because I don't like the Vista version of Aero. I find it overly heavy and clunky. The Windows 7 version of Aero is another story, though; I really like it.

The only problem I've ever had with Vista itself is Aero being a resource hog, but part of that is my problem (over-burdening my computer).

Thanks, guys. I put the question out there on Facebook as well, and the consensus there seems to be "no, not that bad if your system is good enough, but windows 7 should be great."

I was originally planning on getting a laptop to replace my desktop next spring with my tax return, but right now I found a deal for 12-months interest free, so I could get a new computer now and pay nothing anyway until next spring if I wanted.

My desktop is 4 years old and not running very fast anymore, and the burner has pretty much died.

I would definitely jump straight to Windows 7 if you can. I was going to upgrade my Vista months ago except that we don't have new installers for some of the things I need for work.

Okay, thanks for the recommendation. Once the new version is released, I'll start watching for similar deals.

Edit: Would you expect that there will be bumps, bugs and hiccups when Windows 7 is first released? Is that kind of the track record - new OS released, kinks get worked out over the next year or so?

My friend is going to bring his new laptop to work for me so I can peruse it a bit. I'm wondering if it's too much computer for me, as I'm not into watching DVDs or playing games or whatever on the computer. But it sounds like it'll give me what I need, and then some.

Edit: Would you expect that there will be bumps, bugs and hiccups when Windows 7 is first released? Is that kind of the track record - new OS released, kinks get worked out over the next year or so?

Windows 7 seems very stable to me even in its pre-release form.

Just as a reminder to those upgrading from XP to 7 or Vista to 7; it is ALWAYS much better to backup your data and wipe your hard drive for a clean install of the new operating system.

I want to replace my 6 year old HP desktop soon but I dont want to buy a computer with vista on it. Hopefully windows 7 is as good as I'm hearing, I will wait for that. Looks like it will be out officially on Oct. 22.

I can get a license key for cheap through a school thingy, so for 20$ I am going to partition a new system folder on my 5 year old XP machine.

I can get a license key for cheap through a school thingy, so for 20$ I am going to partition a new system folder on my 5 year old XP machine.

I'm in the same boat you are with the older HP desktop. Scared to try to do that though lol, I'll just get a new comp. Maybe someone can buy it for me for Christmas :drool:

I'm in the same boat you are with the older HP desktop. Scared to try to do that though lol, I'll just get a new comp. Maybe someone can buy it for me for Christmas :drool:
Yeah, a decent PC is cheap as hell these days. They seem to be throwing 4 GB of RAM into everything, even the lower midrange computers.

I remember your workspace pic from a while back.......if you get a new PC promise me you'll get a 20'+ widescreen monitor. It's been the best computing/work/everything investment I've made in the last 5 years. :D

Tesco Direct (UK) are taking pre-orders for Windows 7 Home Premium (Full version) for £44.97 delivered if you use voucher code "TDX-SFFT".

There's a big thread on the Hotukdeals website about this if you need more info.

Yeah, a decent PC is cheap as hell these days. They seem to be throwing 4 GB of RAM into everything, even the lower midrange computers.

I remember your workspace pic from a while back.......if you get a new PC promise me you'll get a 20'+ widescreen monitor. It's been the best computing/work/everything investment I've made in the last 5 years. :D

Haha well at work we got new Dells with duel core processors (holy crap I cant believe how much faster it is than my home comp) and huge widescreen monitors :drool: I cant tell you how much it makes me enjoy going to work now.

At home my desk is pretty small. I have a regular flat screen and it does seem chinsy compared to the work monitor but it still takes up a lot of space.

No way am I going to buy a Windows OS just after it's been released. I'd wait at least a year until they've worked out all the major flaws and released a service pack or two. :crack:

Well I crashed my laptop yesterday (my fault, but I jacked up the OS and video drivers) so I installed Windows 7. I got the newly released version from MSDN (I think it's the real deal, not the beta or RC). So far so good! I've installed everything I use except Microsoft Office 2007 Suite and Adobe programs I have at home. I had to use the x86 b/c my computer is 3 years old, processor wouldn't work with the x64.

Been running this for a while now on my desktop but I finally bit the bullet and installed it on my Acer Netbook. Runs like a charm for anyone concerned. Can't wait for the release.

i've had an official released and activated Windows 7 Professional now for about 3 weeks and can tell you so far so good. I upgraded from 2GB to 4GB and installed the 64-bit version as that is simply the best upgrade path

bye bye 32-bit OSs

the new Aero features are nice

I bought the Home Premium upgrade edition (going from Vista). The upgrade setup fails in the middle :down: and tech support is useless. Might have to return it.

Everyone told me to do a clean install rather than upgrade (same with going from XP to Vista).

Good point - tech support had me do that on the next call. The upgrade thing is useless - have to reinstall everything now. Oh well - everything is a LOT faster now. I can't believe I put up with Vista for a year.

Back
Top Bottom