WINAMP Security Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sue4u2

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Anyone else receive an email like this from WinAmp?
I'm not sure if this is phishing or real.
I didn't click any of the links in the email and went out to the Winamp website to see if I could find anything. I couldn't find anything about this security issue but didn't check all the blogs.
Winamp Forums Security Notification

Hello,
My name is Geno Yoham and I am the General Manager of Winamp. Our entire team is dedicated to protecting the privacy of our users and has put extensive measures in place to ensure your information remains secure. As a result of these precautions, we quickly detected and blocked an attack on the Winamp Forums database. We have confirmed that this breach was isolated to the Winamp Forums (forums.winamp.com) site only. Other Winamp sites and products such as Winamp.com, dev.winamp.com and the Winamp Desktop Media Player were not affected in any way.

We have determined that your email address was exposed as a result of this attack, so as a precautionary measure, we recommend that you change your password on the Winamp Forums. In addition, we recommend that you change your password every few months as a best practice for keeping your information secure.

We have set up an FAQ at forums.winamp.com for answers to questions you may have related to this incident.

If you have any additional questions, please contact: support@winamp.com.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and want to assure you that we are taking steps to ensure that your information remains secure as a part of our ongoing commitment to protecting your privacy.

Geno Yoham
Winamp

You received this email because you are a member of the Winamp Forums.

This email was sent by Nullsoft Inc., the makers of Winamp, the Ultimate Media Player for your PC and Android device. To unsubscribe from future important forums announcements, visit this link: unsubscribe.

Nullsoft Inc., 22000 AOL Way, Dulles, VA 20166 USA • Privacy Policy

Of all the fake, sammy, phishing e-mails I review (on a daily basis for my job) this one could be legit. It's not asking you to click a link or to reply with personal information. I guess it can't hurt to login to that account and change the password like it's asking.

Back
Top Bottom