Who's excited about Macworld Expo here!???!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fca780

Acrobat
Where you live should not decide, Whether you live
I certainly am!!! Rumors said: new iPhone (higher storage), new ultra-portable Mac, movie rentals, new MacBook Pro with big multi touch keypard (I'm buying one! keep you posted on how it goes!) and new Penryn processors, 1.1.3. software update for the iPhone (which includes GPS, video recording and other nice stuff), AppleTV software update and maybe Mac Nano (in time to replace Mac Mini, as in iPods?)

there were also rumors of updates for Mac Pro and XServe, but those happened this Tuesday, meaning, Apple has a LOT to unveil so they don't wait to this Tuesday!

Hope we can see really how Apple is "a year advanced than its compettion "
can't wait!
oh and of course, who doesn't love haikus?

-FCA

Since Apple offloaded the new Mac Pro announcements pre-Macworld, there is something big in the works.

The question is, do we really need an ultra-portable Mac laptop with no optical drive?

:drool: :wink:
I would go to the expo, but it is very expensive! almost $2000 to get you inside the keynote! with that I'm buying my MBP!

oh and did you saw/hear the latest rumors:
http://www.macrumors.com/mwsf/
macworld-banner-1.jpg

This is an actual banner placed outside Moscone South
MacBook Air, ladies and gentlemen (I know not everybody likes the name but it makes sense and I like it!)

http://www.9to5mac.com/macbook-air-2453564654
macbook_air.jpg

- A slim notebook, but not a "sub notebook"
- 13.3" screen
- Not a "Pro" machine
- External Optical Drive
- It will be called the MacBook Air

Last edited:
So basically the iPod Nano of Macbooks?

Meh.....still interested in the form factor, but I have no need for one, and if I want a laptop I want a full-fledged laptop.

My brother is in the IT industry and will be there for the keynote. The lucky bastard. :mad: He'll get to witness the reality distortion field in person. :wink:

What the fuck, now a rumor it's a new Netwon????

The new Apple Newton- full featured phone, UMPC, and digital studio with broadcast video receiver capabilities from iTunes direct.

www.newton.com

3.5" x 6.4" x 0.5"
Mac iPod-Leopard OS with multi-touch user interface
New Newton (they scrapped InkWell) handwriting recognition software
NAND flash- 60GB

Interesting netwon dot com redirects to apple's web site.

Hmmmm.

I'm interested about what this new product called Time Capsule is...something like Time Machine but more laptop friendly apparently. :hmm:

EDIT: Nevermind, it's just a wireless hard drive. Way overpriced, and I can deal with plugging and unplugging a cord from my laptop.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not terribly impressed by it. $1799 for a sub-par laptop? Please. And, if you want the solid state hard drive option, it adds another $999 to the price. :rolleyes:

It looks pretty, but performance wise, it's not good enough for me.

disappointment!!!!

I have to admit it as an Apple fan...the keynote SUCKED!!! and as Bono puts it...VERY HARD!!!
no MBP updates? means the same notebook from 2 years ago is the same as today!?
what about iPhone capacities?
no leopard updates???
and that overpriced MBA??? it's terrible! I mean, it's cool the form factor, but the specs suck very hard too....

and I was thinking in buying a MBP tonight :(
what event comes next??? I need the MBP with multitouch trackpad and Penryn processors!!:sad: :madspit: :mad:

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
Wow, a wafer-thin sub notebook. Who fucking cares.

Ditto. And Toshiba already makes those. I haven't seen them in stores here, but I've worked on a few that belong to Japanese students. Paper thin, weigh less than 2lbs. Seem like I could flick it and it would crack.

Liesje said:

Ditto. And Toshiba already makes those. I haven't seen them in stores here, but I've worked on a few that belong to Japanese students. Paper thin, weigh less than 2lbs. Seem like I could flick it and it would crack.
Don't you work at a University IT dept, Liesje?

If so, enjoy the steady parade of spoiled suburban teenage girls with cracked Airs streaming into your help desk next school year :wink:

Re: disappointment!!!!

fca780 said:
no leopard updates???

I can understand the other complaints, but this? Leopard is practically brand new. Apple has never done major (keynote worthy) updates to a system so soon after its release.

Canadiens1160 said:

If so, enjoy the steady parade of spoiled suburban teenage girls with cracked Airs streaming into your help desk next school year :wink:

The things are made out of the same kind of aluminum the Macbook Pros are. I doubt they'll be cracking left and right.

I get the feeling it's not going to sell all that well, though (after the initial sales die off, of course).

Canadiens1160 said:

Yes and yes. We are still dealing with the backlash of Leopard. Hundreds of kids are complaining b/c Leopard is incompatible with our network (APPLE's fault). We are waiting for Apple to release updates to fix THEIR problem (Mac engineer came out and checked everything over). All these stupid kids are freaking out. We won't even support Vista on campus machines until summer of 2009. Wireless compatibility with Leopard is like so low on the priority list it's hardly worth bringing up.

Luckily, I'm not an Apple certified technician and we have an Apple store a mile away. I send most of the Mac kids there unless I'm feeling nice. Macs are the biggest pain in the ass to work on. Our Mac guy is already refusing to consider supporting this new form factor and will not let any of the faculty use them, hehe.

Liesje said:

I actually worked with one this summer (prof had it). The Toshibas are built STURDY if nothing else. The weird thing is that it was super thin, but it felt like it was constructed like a brick.

The Mac is much more aesthetically pleasing. I want it for looks, but only if I can get the firm to pay for it, hah.

If anything, I hope the lack of an optical drive will spur the industry to start dropping the CD as a distribution medium completely.

Between wireless home networking, the widespread use of broadband internet, and advances in flash memory (USB drives), we should be moving to software distributed on USB sticks or digital downloads entirely.

Back
Top Bottom