What MP3 Player should I buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Absent One

The Fly
My Rio Karma has just died. I am sad, we had a rocky relationship and it was not reliable but now i have to spend money replacing it...

So, what would people recommend? I have done research but you can never beat individuals opinions.
Especially, EVERYONE who does not have an ipod says DO NOT get an Ipod. What do people WITH ipod's think? Are they reliable, etc.

I am not too bothered about fancy things like Video or photo's or anything. I do not care about aesthetics or anything like that.

I just want a 20GB + player which will be reliable, and has good technical support for when the inevitable happens and it goes wrong.

What do people think of Creative Zen's, Iriver, Iaudio, and Sony's? Good points, bad experiences. Any info is helpful and appreciated.

So, please help me, what should i buy?

The Absent One said:

Especially, EVERYONE who does not have an ipod says DO NOT get an Ipod. What do people WITH ipod's think? Are they reliable, etc.

I've had my iPod for almost 2 years, and I have had no problems with it. It even survived a gouge-inducing smack on the sidewalk when my dog pulled me down while we were on a walk. :yikes: I love my iPod! :yes:

iPod's are miles ahead of any other mp3 player on the market. Plus the selection is very nice. If you can wait a while before you get a new one, wait and see what Apple's 6G ipods look like. A REAL video ipod would be :drool:.

the ipod is the best mp3 player on the market, i've had mine for 2 1/2 years and it still works fine...

i am waiting to buy a new one (since i'm out of space on mine) until apple updates them, hopefully in the next couple months.

I would wait a few months until Microsoft release their MP3 player that is to compete with (read: eradicate) Ipod.

Prices will fall.

Last edited:
The Absent One said:
I just want a 20GB + player which will be reliable, and has good technical support for when the inevitable happens and it goes wrong.

I find that Apple's techinical support is the best type of "help desk" I've ever experienced.
My u2pod broke a few months after purchase and I brought it in to an Apple store genius bar. The guy checked it out and promptly gave me the paperwork to get a brand new one, free of charge. I thought I'd have to wait for one but he just pulled one from the stockroom (read, this is AFTER the u2pods had been discontinued) and gave it to me. When I got in the car, I noticed a line going across the screen and brought it right back.
I got another iPod, free of charge and this time he extended my warranty an extra year from that date.

Even when I've called they've walked me through everything quickly and accurately. :up:

If it weren't for the fact that I'm inexperienced with Apple computers, I would have bought a Mac notebook.

In conclusion: iPod.

Microsoft is too late to the game to devastate the iPod. :drool:

U2Man said:
I would wait a few months until Microsoft release their MP3 player that is to compete with (read: eradicate) Ipod.

Prices will fall.

Even though the microsoft one would MAYBE be more advanced we still have
U2 doing the ipod commercials and have their own U2 ipods.:wink:

Beat that microsoft! Ha!

Re: Re: What MP3 Player should I buy?

PlaTheGreat said:

Microsoft is too late to the game to devastate the iPod. :drool:

Yes that is true, Ipod just came out at the right time, They just went to a commercial blast and did like 5 comercials. Now that's good marketing!:wink:

tpsglick2424 said:

Even though the microsoft one would MAYBE be more advanced we still have
U2 doing the ipod commercials and have their own U2 ipods.:wink:

Beat that microsoft! Ha!

Some of you sound like you don't want things to change, that you want Apple to continue having almost the entire market all for themselves. That's no better than having Microsoft in the same position. Let them fight. It can only benefit the consumers.

I want an iPod, but I'm pissed that:

1) iTunes still uses that mp4 format

2) There's no more iPod minis. I was flash memory and I want more than 4 GB, but I don't need a 60GB portable hard drive.

See if you can order this one somewhere. It has received great reviews and is really cheap. It's 20 GB with a built-in memory card reader.

1080342075.jpg

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I want an iPod, but I'm pissed that:

1) iTunes still uses that mp4 format

2) There's no more iPod minis. I was flash memory and I want more than 4 GB, but I don't need a 60GB portable hard drive.

what's wrong with mp4?

i think you'll see larger flash iPods next time they update them, it's been 4GB for a while now hasn't it?

the rockin edge said:

what's wrong with mp4?

i think you'll see larger flash iPods next time they update them, it's been 4GB for a while now hasn't it?

What's wrong with mp4 is that why can't they use mp3 like every other audio player out there?

Yeah, I'm not sure why the minis were ever taken off the market. I guess people that have hundreds to throw at an iPod would get the best of the best anyway, but I'd prefer flash memory, not a disc with moving parts.

mp4 is technically a better format than mp3. And I guess Apple can more easily apply their copy protection schemes to mp4.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

What's wrong with mp4 is that why can't they use mp3 like every other audio player out there?

Yeah, I'm not sure why the minis were ever taken off the market. I guess people that have hundreds to throw at an iPod would get the best of the best anyway, but I'd prefer flash memory, not a disc with moving parts.

like U2man said, mp4 is a better compression. and yeah their DRM thing has something to do with the mp4 format i believe.

and you can put mp3's on your iPod or import from cd's to iTunes as mp3's, it's just downloads from the store that only exclusivly mp4...

i see your point about flash, but i need far more memory in my player than is out there in flash drives so it's not an issue for me.:wink:

Has anyone ever experienced any problems with the headphones slot on an Ipod?

I have a Toshiba Gigabeat - sound is excellent and easy to use comes with dockings station and charger. Holds like 1500 songs and photos.

Just bought my husband a Nano.

I really like mine better!

Is it really true that you cannot access your iPod as a device in Windows (in My Computer, for instance)? Because that's crap :|

I refuse to give in to the Man and get an Ipod for a number of reasons.

1. Almost every person I know that has an ipod has had to either a.) take it in for repair, or b.) send it in for repair. Especially the minis before they took them off the market.

2. customer service issues.

Really though, I just don't want to give in to the Man. ;)

Considering that iPods are much, much more expensive than other portable players, it's really embarrassing that they so often have to be taken in for repair.

WildHoneyAlways said:
I refuse to give in to the Man and get an Ipod for a number of reasons.

1. Almost every person I know that has an ipod has had to either a.) take it in for repair, or b.) send it in for repair. Especially the minis before they took them off the market.

2. customer service issues.

Really though, I just don't want to give in to the Man. ;)

Do you own any portable player currently?

U2Man said:
Is it really true that you cannot access your iPod as a device in Windows (in My Computer, for instance)? Because that's crap :|

I'm not sure, but I have a good feeling they aren't drag-and-drop (which would be another reason I'd get something cheaper with expandable memory).

Back
Top Bottom