Video Game thread XIII: Knights of the Bro Republic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh this game is quality, trust me.

Y'know how everyone was all like "Infinity Ward isn't Infinity Ward anymore"? Basically my little theory on it was that it would be the exact same game.

And it is. Except Sledgehammer and Treyarch also worked on this game as well. And there's everything that was awesome from Black Ops (like their own version of Zombies)... but none of the shit.

It's got some flaws, but overall it's really good I'd say.

Treyarch have nothing to do with MW3. It's only Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer.

Treyarch have nothing to do with MW3. It's only Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer.

Treyarch is indirectly involved and has been ever since the IW mess a year ago. Furthermore, there is bound to be collaboration between the two groups considering they work on the same title and are not competitors. It's why everything you saw in Black Ops is back in MW3, and it's why whatever good that comes out of MW3 will likely be in the next Treyarch installment.

They're also developing the Wii version of the game. Yes, there name isn't on the title, but they're involved.

Just finished MW3 Campaign on Veteran. Total time: 9 hrs 52 minutes. FWIW, all of Treyarch is in the credits :wink:

Come on, not even 10 hours of gameplay? I didn't even take a break (scary, I know).

The single player was much, much better in MW2. This one gets a bit too extreme. Every time you crash or you fall or whatever you somehow miraculously survive. It happens way, way too much. It's also ridiculously filled with action, but a very WW3 style action. Interesting take, but I feel as though MW2 did it better. This one gets very 'extreme' if you will. Very James Bond'y in the sense that... you're not doing that in real life. No way. Of course, not that the older ones were realistic. But this takes it to a whole new level.

Story's not that bad though. But could've been a bit better.

There is a ridiculous amount of recycled material in this game. If you know where to look, you'll notice it. The boats you finish MW2 off in? Same exact boat used. The first level from MW2 in Afghanistan? Rehashed into a European beach scene. The Spec Ops level in MW2 that goes through a big bathroom? Also reused. There were several others I noticed. They simply pasted new textures on old designs.

Anyways, single player as a whole is passable but not notable like MW2. Multiplayer is phenomenal. Now to see Spec Ops... I've heard great things.

Took half a sick day yesterday and on the way home I picked up Battlefield 3. Just did a bit of single player on hard... it's, well, hard.

Multiplayer is also going to take some time to get used to as well. JT, whenever you're ready to squad up, lemme know. :wink:

SKYRlM HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wowza on reviews. Wowza McTrowza.

Expecting "unemployed and now no longer looking for work" numbers to climb next month in the US due to Skyrim.

Can't wait! What a busy weekend it's going to be! Two Killers shows and TES: IV! Two things I've been waiting for for far too long!

Worthy of a video game itself, French crooks steal £600,000 worth of Call Of Duty games in truck heist

Last updated at 11:51 AM on 9th November 2011

One of the explosive Modern Warfare 3 missions takes place in Paris – but it seems that crooks have created their own Call of Duty-style scenes in the French capital for real, stealing £600,000-worth of the blockbuster game.

Two trucks delivering copies of the game to stores were targeted by armed gangs in separate incidents in the Paris suburbs on Saturday morning.

The first robbery saw bandits disguised with ski masks ram a delivery truck to make the driver stop and inspect the damage, according to Le Parisien newspaper. The crooks, who were brandishing knives, then threw tear gas at him and stole the truck.

Just one hour later three thieves stole another delivery van after blocking its path with a car and threatening the driver with a handgun.

Police have yet to apprehend those responsible.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 launched yesterday to huge critical acclaim, with much of the gaming press hailing it as the best in the series yet.

Metro described the single-player campaign as ‘still the best in the business, with some incredibly cinematic set pieces’.

Meanwhile, Official Xbox Magazine said: 'Every bit of the adventure demonstrates remarkable care and polish on the part of Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games — so much so that this game is arguably the slickest Call of Duty to date. It remains a very stellar, cohesive, and staggeringly refined trek.’

The Call of Duty franchise has sold in excess of 100 million units worldwide and is played online by gamers in over 144 countries around the world. That’s enough to fill up the 80 largest sports stadiums in the world.

Startlingly, Call of Duty players have fired more virtual bullets than there are stars in the Milky Way.

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: French crooks steal £600k worth of video games | Mail Online

With an estimated $1 billion sales mark, 6000 copies isn't really that much loss to be honest. Did anyone hear about the stolen copy that got sold on eBay for $1725?

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/04/somebody-bid-1-725-for-modern-warfare-3-on-ebay/

SKYRlM HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wowza on reviews. Wowza McTrowza.

It was released a day early here in Cobbler's beloved BJ Ho-Fry, so I've been seeing a lot of talk about it on Facebook. Looks amazing, but just isn't my thing. Glad to see it's met expectations, though - otherwise I have no doubt that there would be worldwide riots.

Rayman Origins is getting great reviews too - I've never played a Rayman game before, but since Donkey Kong Country Returns was my favourite game from last year, I'm pretty eager to pick this up.

beta weekend testing invite. downloading game client, and probably going to call out of work tomorrow night to geek out. awww yeah.

Jive Turkey said:
Popularity does not equal quality. Just ask 98 Degrees

This is very true... but ea released battlefield when they did so that they could compete directly with MW3. That's all I was referring to.

Battlefield might very well be better... but I'm so used to call of duty, and my friends play call of duty (o sound 12 I know), so I stuck with call of duty.

I like my decision.

This is very true... but ea released battlefield when they did so that they could compete directly with MW3. That's all I was referring to.

Battlefield might very well be better... but I'm so used to call of duty, and my friends play call of duty (o sound 12 I know), so I stuck with call of duty.

I like my decision.

I'm thinking about picking it up too.

I don't think Battlefield is necessarily better, it's just a different style of gameplay. It tends to generally reward teamplay a lot more than Call of Duty and has larger maps and is slower-paced. I think these factors combine to skew the appeal toward a slightly older audience, which I really appreciate. Also, vehicles.

I've been a fan of the Battlefield series since the original game, Battlefield 1942, on PC back in the early 2000s. At that time, 32-on-32 multiplayer gaming on giant WWII maps with planes, ships, tanks, and more was revolutionary.

Waving goodbye to all our thread members who bought Skyrim, as they will not be back for a good six to twelve months.

Can't stand the Facebook updates any longer. Gonna try and at least rent Skyrim for the weekend. Hopefully it will be enough to curb the wanting for a little while longer.

Haha! Checked out with the same guy I tried to rent Arkham City from. He remembered me and felt really bad so he gave me the game for free 5 nights. Plus a free Blu-Ray rental, plus half off all rentals for the next two weeks :dance:. Let's slay some dragons!

IWasBored said:
beta weekend testing invite. downloading game client, and probably going to call out of work tomorrow night to geek out. awww yeah.

Could have sworn I'd said swtor or star wars in that post somewhere but apparently I left that part out. I left my computer with a friend who called out of work tonight to play, and then tomorrow im calling out of work so I can play. My kindergarten teacher would be happy, I learned to share.

And I just read the subtitle of this thread. Hahaha.

Almost 2 hours logged in Skyrim and I haven't left the first town.

I'm busy stealing everything that ever existed in it.

So I finally finished doing that and some asshole sends a group of three thugs after me. They demolished me but I was stuck on a save where they were coming after me no matter what I did. So I bolted out of town and over to the river and I was able to fuck around with them big time. I pushed one of them off a waterfall, I had a wild animal attack another, and I teased one by running into the water and pulling my bow and arrow out and shooting him in the head while he went into the water so he couldn't draw his sword.

I then proceeded to take the thugs contract from his dead body and place it in front of the man who called them on me. Fun times.

I don't think Battlefield is necessarily better, it's just a different style of gameplay. It tends to generally reward teamplay a lot more than Call of Duty and has larger maps and is slower-paced. I think these factors combine to skew the appeal toward a slightly older audience, which I really appreciate. Also, vehicles.

I've been a fan of the Battlefield series since the original game, Battlefield 1942, on PC back in the early 2000s. At that time, 32-on-32 multiplayer gaming on giant WWII maps with planes, ships, tanks, and more was revolutionary.

Waving goodbye to all our thread members who bought Skyrim, as they will not be back for a good six to twelve months.

I really do hate the selfish attitude on Call of Duty. People are so fucking stupid I refuse to play without at least one person I know on my team. Nobody ever tries to play the objective, it's irritating.

Which reminds me... that's why I hate this new game style of Kill Confirmed. Morons don't realize they're supposed to pick up all of the dogtags they see, so they'll literally kill somebody and ignore it. Either that or they just don't care, in which case they're still annoying.

I dunno about you guys, but I have more fun as a winner rather than a loser with a slightly higher kill/death ratio.

My favorite ridiculous quest from Skyrim so far was stealing a bottle of wine for a drunk hobo. The whole time I was doing it I kept thinking, "so this is what my character's come to :tsk:"

I really do hate the selfish attitude on Call of Duty. People are so fucking stupid I refuse to play without at least one person I know on my team. Nobody ever tries to play the objective, it's irritating.

Which reminds me... that's why I hate this new game style of Kill Confirmed. Morons don't realize they're supposed to pick up all of the dogtags they see, so they'll literally kill somebody and ignore it. Either that or they just don't care, in which case they're still annoying.

I dunno about you guys, but I have more fun as a winner rather than a loser with a slightly higher kill/death ratio.

I've played a number matches of Kill Confirmed with a fellow Interferencer where our team wins by such a large margin it's hilarious. I love watching someone on the other team kill one of my teammates, and then run in the other direction away from their dogtags. I hate to stereotype, the the general COD player truly is a complete idiot who cares about nothing other than their kill to death ratio.

Anyways, I like both games, but Battlefield is definitely far and away more my style at this point. I'd probably be liking this COD considerably more if they hadn't made the maps so "maze-y", which really makes them feel completely unrealistic to me. Seriosly, Halo has more realistic maps than MW3. They tried so hard to make them "un-campable" that it's made people camp even more, as they feel completely lost trying to navigate the maps.

None of that really matters now anyways, as Skyrim is so ridiculously fantastic that it will be owning my life for months.

Oh, absolutely. What they don't realize is that your KD ratio really only means something if you're winning you're games. Shit I could sit down in a corner all game and come out with no more than a death each game. Instead I push hard to capture every position or dogtag. My KD ratio in deathmatch is above 3.00. My KD in kill confirmed and in domination is significantly less... around half that.

It made me refuse to play the game without somebody else in MW2, and I'm gonna say that from now on whenever I turn on my xbox I'm putting in Skyrim unless someone is online. Otherwise, I'll just get frustrated (over a video game).

My favorite ridiculous quest from Skyrim so far was stealing a bottle of wine for a drunk hobo. The whole time I was doing it I kept thinking, "so this is what my character's come to :tsk:"

Lol, I gave some dude in one of the Inns a bottle of wine and it worked perfectly to take his attention away from me as I stole things.

It turns out the barkeep must've seen me but didn't react, because he's the same one who called a bunch of hoodlum on me. I read the contract and it said "Teach that thief Daniel Crag a lesson. You need not kill him but blah blah blah if you have to. -- whateverhisnamewas".

Which... my player is totally Daniel Craig.

Oh, absolutely. What they don't realize is that your KD ratio really only means something if you're winning you're games. Shit I could sit down in a corner all game and come out with no more than a death each game. Instead I push hard to capture every position or dogtag. My KD ratio in deathmatch is above 3.00. My KD in kill confirmed and in domination is significantly less... around half that.

It made me refuse to play the game without somebody else in MW2, and I'm gonna say that from now on whenever I turn on my xbox I'm putting in Skyrim unless someone is online. Otherwise, I'll just get frustrated (over a video game).
The other thing that I find somewhat stupid is that players of COD worry too much about their prestige, the higher you prestige doesn't necessarily mean that you play better. I get nailed by people who have no prestige at all, and I have also nailed guys with a 15th prestige rank and over 30 days of gameplay.

In my opinion, I think it is better not to prestige all the way to the 15th rank and stay at level 50 say at the 5th rank, practice as much as possible and then fool all players during the game. :D

LuckyNumber7 said:
Lol, I gave some dude in one of the Inns a bottle of wine and it worked perfectly to take his attention away from me as I stole things.

It turns out the barkeep must've seen me but didn't react, because he's the same one who called a bunch of hoodlum on me. I read the contract and it said "Teach that thief Daniel Crag a lesson. You need not kill him but blah blah blah if you have to. -- whateverhisnamewas".

Which... my player is totally Daniel Craig.

I tried the bucket thing for nearly 30 minutes and just couldn't do it. I've never been good at stealing things in Elder Scrolls, I guess I get too nervous about getting arrested and being semi moral, even in a video game lol.

Also, I never got far in Morrowind or Oblivion, but how long have you been able to bring a companion along for the ride? This chick is driving me insane when traveling from place to place, because if I slide down cliffs, or whatever, instead of taking a path, it takes her eons to catch up with me.

Other things about the game that amuse me( and may possibly prove that I am woefully uninformed when it comes to Elder Scrolls): catching butterflies and lightning bugs, chopping wood and mining( though that reminded me quite a bit of WoW.)

A lot of what you mentioned is actualy new. The companion system was something Bethesda introduced in Fallout 3. All of the mining stuff and whanot is new, which really is a play on other MMORPGs. Also, there's a significant addition of popular things from Fable, I've noticed. Id get a bit more into it but I'm on mobile and the Raconteurs are about to take stage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom