Video Game thread II: Super Scumbo Bros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, having only a 360 and Wii and being a baseball nerd, I decided to buy MLB2K11. Wow, it's so bad. You can't even check-swing! So, it's going on the ebay and a PS3 with The Show is coming at the end of the month!

Yeah, MLB 2K is notoriously bad. They expect you to move your 'bat' with the same reflexes as a real bat. It doesn't equate to that, there's no way you can even keep up with any form of a breaking pitch in that game. It just begs for a no-hitter, or close to, each game.

LA Noire looks great, but I am not sure if I'm ready for another open-world jaunt from Rockstar. I held off on Red Dead Redemption for the same reason: eventually I get bored of doing the super drawn-out missions masquerading as a big story. The last Grand Theft Auto, and for that matter most of them, have a ton of filler and it just wears me down before I can get to the finale of the game.

It's kind of strange I'm arguing against having too much content and story in a game, but it just feels like you're slogging through it eventually with Rockstar. Hopefully L.A. Noire is good.

From what I understand, L.A. Noire is a lot more direct with its mission approach than RDR or GTA. It doesn't seem like there are too many distractions in the city, I'm just hoping there's a bit more than, say, Mafia II. I got burned out really quickly by RDR and GTA IV as well, the next GTA needs a rethinking with the mission structure, because it's definitely worn out its welcome.

Speaking of which, Saints Row the Third is probably coming out later this year. Just another thing to keep an eye out for.

The whole LA Noire gimmick of being able to read the suspects' eyes and facial expressions is pretty damn smart. I could see it being a popular party game for certain demographics. You know...a bunch of kids get stoned and then watch the interrogation videos: "Oh, shit! His eyes moved up and to the right! He's totally lying, man!''

Anyway. I'll never play it. Why am I in the video game thread? Fuck.

If it's not GTA I'm not interested, Rockstar. It's all rehashed shit with a different skin. At least make it the game we know and love.

I loved, loved Red Dead Redemption. But I'd never buy another one. It was a great story, but gameplay wise it was exactly what it was. Grand Theft Auto 200 years in reverse.

You complain about them rehashing the formula, then you go on to say you loved RDR, but you'll refuse to buy a Rockstar game that actually has something new going for it?

... Also, it was more like a 100 years.

You complain about them rehashing the formula, then you go on to say you loved RDR, but you'll refuse to buy a Rockstar game that actually has something new going for it?

... Also, it was more like a 100 years.

No no, I said that I don't like the rehashing of material, despite RDR being great. I loved the game because of its storyline (something Rockstar is absolutely wonderful with), but the gameplay itself was weak because all it was was GTA 100 years back (I don't know why I said 200).

Thing is, while the story was a ton of fun, I don't think I would buy RDR2 if it were to come out. I didn't buy Undead Nightmare or whatever, because quite honestly no matter what they do it cant and wont live up to GTA.

I have no problem with recycling a game engine, but you have to use it properly. All RDR does is take away a million features from GTA, dumb it down, and kill details by also dumbing down the architecture.

But then why are you complaining about it when you enjoy it? That's all that matters, no?

Undead Nightmare is great BTW.

I mean, I thought it was relatively clear what I'm saying here.

It's a great game, but it will always fall short of GTA. They shouldn't use the same game engine for simply a different theme. In the end no, being a good game isn't all that matters. It gets put up next to it's predecessors on the same game engine in my eyes. If it doesn't live up to them, it's not worth buying.

I understand it now, thanks. I never had that problem but that's mainly because the only GTA I've ever played is San Andreas, I did play that one to death.

No, but it's never clear what I'm saying I guess so that's my fault not yours :lol:

Oh gosh, it's hard to go back in time with GTAs because you'll find them dull.

I remember sitting down with GTA III that I got for Christmas when I was like 12 or so. It literally was one of those revolutionary steps for the gaming industry.

JT, and others with Killzone 3:

Free Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack codes and/or Unlock Points:

1. Go to (no "www"): Edge� Shave Gel
2. Fill in name, dob, address and email
3. special promo code: 841058005209
4. Select Killzone 3 - Retro Map Pack or Unlock Points
5. Repeat to get the other unlocks for PS3

It supposedly works. I haven't redeemed the codes, but got 3 codes for unlock points by using 3 diff emails.

i finally got mass effect working. downloaded the dragon age 2 demo off the site and when i went to run it, it gave me a missing direct x something or other file message. downloaded and installed that, messed around with that demo for a bit (which...bleh...wasn't too thrilled about. i imagine the actual game looks better, but the demo was weak as shit and didn't make me want to try out any of that stuff) til i thought hey, i wonder if this missing file/package/optional whatever shit was the reason ME wasn't working. as luck would have it, game is running excellently and is exactly the hype-living-up-to awesomesauce everyone's been saying for however long now.

so here's to me being way behind the eightball on getting around to it, but i am finally playing that game. on casual mode, cos i'm lame like that.

and fuck GTA. that kind of stuff just makes me sad i can't shoot up hookers and blow up (my) ambulance when i'm at work. who's a sociopath? not me. i swear.

The awkward moment when Heavy Rain wins the best story award at the Baftas.

No no, I said that I don't like the rehashing of material, despite RDR being great. I loved the game because of its storyline (something Rockstar is absolutely wonderful with), but the gameplay itself was weak because all it was was GTA 100 years back (I don't know why I said 200).

Thing is, while the story was a ton of fun, I don't think I would buy RDR2 if it were to come out. I didn't buy Undead Nightmare or whatever, because quite honestly no matter what they do it cant and wont live up to GTA.

I have no problem with recycling a game engine, but you have to use it properly. All RDR does is take away a million features from GTA, dumb it down, and kill details by also dumbing down the architecture.

I see what you mean, now. I do kind of agree, I found RDR to be so much more of the same, which is probably why I wasn't so crazy about it. In some ways, it was a bit of a step backward by Rockstar, and I was honestly surprised that it had such widespread acclaim.

LA Noire, however, looks different - not just the same tried and true sandbox formula in a fedora. And I'm really excited for it.

I'll be honest I really haven't read too much into LA Noire, and that's just because I'm a poor college student without the time or money to be considering buying it.

RAGE, Skyrim, and MW3 (if we get some news) will probably my next 3 games. All end of the year releases.

u2popmofo said:
JT, and others with Killzone 3:

Free Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack codes and/or Unlock Points:

1. Go to (no "www"): Edge� Shave Gel
2. Fill in name, dob, address and email
3. special promo code: 841058005209
4. Select Killzone 3 - Retro Map Pack or Unlock Points
5. Repeat to get the other unlocks for PS3

It supposedly works. I haven't redeemed the codes, but got 3 codes for unlock points by using 3 diff emails.

Awesome! I'll give it a shot when I'm back home. Thanks man

That Edge Shave Gel got me a free shitbox car that I'll never use in GT5. Woo Woo.

Speaking oh which, I've been playing GT5 online lately, so much fun. I know you guys don't play racing games.

TtFtul.jpg

R2r7E.png

There are a few of us here that do play racing games, we just stick to racing games that are fun and get reviewed well though.

Heyo! :wink:

I opt more for the arcade racers ie: Need for Speed than for more technical racing of GT. To each their own.
Ah come on, you mean to tell me you don't see the fun in finding the right negative camber to shave .05 seconds off a laptime, or the comfortable power application of a properly-tuned limited slip differential? :nerd:

We used to stay up to 5am playing Mario Kart, mostly the battles though.

Hell yes, who would you play as in in Battle? The weight differences were probably completely negligible, but I usually went for Bowser.

I need to find my N64, or at least grab Banjo-Kazooie on Xbox live. Played it recently, and by god does it hold up.

Onto recent releases, I'm finding Dragon Age II to be... well, terrible. Granted, I wasn't the biggest fan of Origins, but on paper the changes made for this game were sounding pretty good. But it's just quite a mess - bad graphics, hacky dialogue, uninteresting characters, and the gameplay? It feels like it's barely there. I'm not sure who here's a fan of the series, but if you were in a similar position to me and wanted to give it another go after not really caring for the first game, just don't bother.

What the Violent Game Law Means for Call of Duty - Xbox 360 News at IGN

What the Violent Game Law Means for Call of Duty
Panelists debate proposed law.

A proposed law restricting the sale of violent games could have a great impact on the future of Activision's popular shooter franchise.

George Rose, Activision Blizzard Executive VP and Chief Public Policy Officer, claims the publisher would no longer be able produce the hit Call of Duty series if the Supreme Court deems a 2005 law to be constitutional, making it illegal for retailers to sell violent games to minors and impose $1,000 fines for each violation in California.

Sounds silly to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom