Video Game Discussion Thread Part 10: Video Games Fucking Suck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have a PS3 or a PS4 so Demon Souls and Bloodborne are currently unaccessible to me, but yo, Souls games are real great, so I'd be surprised if Bloodborne wasn't at least really good.

Fallout 4 has been real underwhelming so far. Something about the writing in that game just isn't doing it for me.

The dialogue is terrible, but the world, gameplay, perk system, all of it appeals to me.

Bloodborne is my GOTY though.

Spoilers are for halfway through the main questline, if you've not completely left the Wasteland for a brief moment this will spoil some of the main questline.

I think
The Glowing Sea, and especially the way in which it literally goes off the map, breaking from the constraints of cartography that are set up by previous Fallout games
is one of the coolest settings in a Fallout game ever, and
the exploration of Kellogg's brain is pretty cool in terms of narrative and design, but not mindblowing, no pun intended
but basically nothing else is doing it for me in terms of the world environment. Diamond City feels like a bigger, but worse version of Megaton in terms of design, very few of the Raider dungeons are doing anything for me. I really enjoy travelling around with Nick Valentine, and think he's a great new character that introduces some really interesting narrative implications, but none of the other characters do anything for me. The gameplay is fine and the perks are fine, but they're not incredible. I'm liking the process of building up settlements, hating having to continually go back and defend them against marauders.

It's just not doing it for me.

Last edited:
For me its the exploration of the world that keeps me going - Fallout has never had the greatest main story and the dialogue is not something that I've ever been impressed with.

I am finding the micro-management of my settlements to be the most tiring so far - how many times do these people allow themselves to be kidnapped? And how menacing are those 4 feral ghouls or 6 Raiders in a random location (usually nowhere near the settlement) when I have them entrenched with heavy machinegun and missile turrets? Every time I go to the Castle or go near Preston I leave with at least two more annoying quests.

Yeah, I've given up on going to Preston because of the randomly generated quests. I feel I've done all of them.

Right now, I'm basically doing all the side quests while I decide whether to follow the Railroad/Institute/Brotherhood of Steel quests. I think Fallout 4 is better than 3 or New Vegas at presenting a more compelling/difficult choice of which factions to join. Agreed that the dialogue is generally below par (especially how some of the dialogue options lead to conversations that you did not want to have), and generally the charisma-based dialogue options are pretty useless. What I do love about this game is the color palette - it's so much more interesting than any previous Fallout game, and for the first time gives the sense of a real world. I'm slightly underwhelmed at the map: even though I think it's bigger than Skyrim's, it didn't give me the sense of huge horizons as Skyrim certainly did, and other than downtown Boston it feels pretty sparse. But I'm having a blast - and I'm sad that it feels closer to the end of the main quest.

Can anyone explain to me the actual benefit of building up a settlement? I get the mechanics of it, but every settlement I've added to has just meant...more people hanging around. I don't see the benefit to me as a player.

Mind you, I haven't done TOO much beyond providing the basics but am I gonna get something out of it if I put my resources into this?

Ah, that makes sense. Didn't want to put hours and resources (I've been modding guns like crazy) into something that would just get me nothing but Preston Garvey missions :|

yeah, it's frustrating. granted, i'm always trying to get xp to level up asap so i kinda don't mind getting quests, but i also get ticked when they occasionally fail (not the ones that will pop up unprompted to help defend an already established settlement, but the ones preston gives). dude, i can't just run around the whole commonwealth doing your errands. nothing's preventing him from getting off his ass. he hasn't even said thank you for
getting mama murphy off chems

Other than bothering my OCD/Need to complete every quest are there any real consequences to failing these quests though? I've seen what happens to settlements that I fail to help defend - they get trashed if the defenses are too low and I'm assuming kidnapped settlers are killed but what about the ones for some group in a location I wonder?

Settlers can be replaced with synths as well.

I don't think there are any consequences, but I too have OCD about finishing every quest. So it infuriates me. Failing a quest also bothers me, even without consequence.

So, I'm now at the point where
I have to pick between the Institute, Brotherhood or Railroad. Which faction did you guys choose? I'm leaning towards Institute or Railroad (although the former would probably be the more interesting quest)

So, I'm now at the point where
I have to pick between the Institute, Brotherhood or Railroad. Which faction did you guys choose? I'm leaning towards Institute or Railroad (although the former would probably be the more interesting quest)

I'm almost at that point too

I'm leaning towards the Railroad, I find them less shady than the other factions in terms of their overall goals next to the Minutemen who annoy me too much at this point to want to help them all the way. The Brotherhood are just dicks.

I'm almost at that point too

I'm leaning towards the Railroad, I find them less shady than the other factions in terms of their overall goals next to the Minutemen who annoy me too much at this point to want to help them all the way. The Brotherhood are just dicks.

Yeah, going against the Brotherhood was an easy call. The Minutemen are boring, and I think there's not much to do with them after you finish the Castle mission. The Railroad is the more morally appealing choice, I feel, but I'm intrigued by the Institute quest. I wish you could have a better way to use the Institute to destroy the Brotherhood, but then follow the Railroad. We'll see.

Found this a few days ago in Fallout 4. I laughed.

CaVIwk6UMAEuXHT.jpg:orig

If any of you guys have Xbox Ones, Quantum Break is sooooooooooooooo freaking cool. Remedy has to be one of my all time favorite developers. First two Max Paynes, Alan Wake, and now this. Such awesome stories, such fun gameplay, such cool games. I highly recommend it.

what are people's opinions on The Division? I love New York so I'm intrigued considering how amazing the graphics look...

Friend of mine talked me into getting it on PS4, played it quite a bit and have had a lot of fun with it. Definitely more fun as a coop type game than solo, but it's cool solo too.

Back
Top Bottom