Video Game Discussion Thread Part 10: Video Games Fucking Suck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got Skyrim for Christmas... but I can't play it, because it doesn't have an option to invert the X axis. What the absolute fuck. I'm furious.

What demonic video game taught you to invert the x axis? Inverting the y axis is already savage enough but at least has the airplane "pull up" feel to it.

How are you going with skyrim? The massive time commitment put me off in the past, but now it's portable...

I've spent the last week having a blast with Super Mario Odyssey, exploring every nook and cranny as I go. Love it. But because $45 in tax refund was too good to resist I've said bon voyage to it until my inlaws return on the 19th. Today's morning commute sucked without it.

I literally cannot play it. Without an option to invert the X-axis it just frustrates the hell out of me because I can't turn in the way I want. I'm really disappointed :( :sad: because it seems like quite an expansive game I could get lost in.

Odyssey is fucking fantastic, I do think the main game is too easy (would be helped a lot by raising the number of moons needed to pass each kingdom) which brings it down a few points, but if you challenge yourself to get all the moons it's great, and also, the post-game is pretty awesome. I just wish it was a little harder and/or a little longer. SM64 still beats it pretty comfortably if you ask me.

I do not understand your second sentence there, what are you talking about. :lol:

At the moment I've not been playing much Switch though as I've been playing Pokemon Ultra Sun, which is great, if a drag. Can't wait for Generation 8 on the Switch this year.

Breath of the Wild's second DLC is out as well, which has made it even better, if you can even comprehend that. Just a phenomenal game.

What console are you playing on?

If you're playing on PC there are definitely ways to make your control desires come true.

Definitely going for all the moons, after a week I've only just cleared the Lake and Woods. Looking forward to New Donk City. I can see it being a very swift play if just raced through but that seems to skip all the fun.

My in laws have gone overseas, so I've given them my Switch to claim the tax back at the airport under the tourist refund scheme. Going to be a loooong 3 weeks without it :(

Still, means I have time to jump back into The Wind Waker and funnily enough the x axis is inverted from Odyssey. It takes some getting used to but I wouldn't quit Skyrim because of it.

Every 10+ year old game can use a remastering if only to pick up the graphics to a cleaner physical appearance on up to date displays.

I'm interested to see what Fallout 76 will be like. I'm not a huge fan of online multiplayer but I love the Fallout series.

You're not alone, pretty much every single person I talk to about this says the same thing. I know I'm not alone, I've googled, but I guess it must be such a small request that they can safely ignore it. Hoping it won't be as much of an issue with Wolfenstein, Doom, LA Noire... but I sold Skyrim because I couldn't play it without both axes inverted.

I imagine it stems from Breath of the Wild and SM Odyssey, both of which have that feature. It feels the most natural to me.

i started up a game of fallout 4 to test out the graphics on my new PC (runs perfectly on ultra settings :drool: )and i've found that it's easily 10x better if you play it as a female character. it's like the dialogue was written with a female protagonist in mind and then just adapted to a male character rather than the other way around.

So after about 300 hours of gameplay I finally stormed Hyrule Castle, took on Ganon and won. What a fucking gorgeous, wonderful, perfect game. The single best thing I've ever played.

DjlwI1ZU4AAmhex_zpsxodrp5n0.jpg

DjlvsjhVAAAvX8m_zpsbq8twx9d.jpg

Djlv12MU8AA1rtX_zpsswue5o3v.jpg

Djlv_2UUwAEgFrC_zpsjn9h5u0t.jpg

And now I've moved on to Octopath Traveller, which is completely different but just as engrossing. I've never played an RPG outside of Pokemon or Paper Mario, so really enjoying it and all the tropes of JRPGs are new to me. Amazing game.

Nice one. Did that include DLC? And how many shrines, memories and koroks?

Finished it up recently with 155 hours over 2 months. All shrines and memories, 178 koroks with some more marked on the map. I'll dive into the dlc at some point.

Hype is more than justified in my opinion. An absolutely gorgeous game (a good art style beats photo realism any day of the week) and so utterly immersive. I'd never played an open world game before this, unless red dead redemption counts, and as much as skyrim on the go sounds good I don't see how it won't be a step down from this.

Glad to hear Octopath is good, love all the old school final fantasies. Found a guy selling it on gumtree so I'll hopefully be getting it on Monday. Pretty pumped for Dark Souls, never had the chance to play it before.

And hollow knight is on sale this weekend for only $11.55 with all dlc included. Jumped on that after all the E3 hype.

It included some of the DLC. I did the Master Sword trials, which took ages but was extremely rewarding. I've still got the Champions Ballad and much of the treasure stuff to come back to eventually (including the motorbike!) but giving it a break for a good while.

Probably about 90 shrines I reckon, made sure I did all the memories, and maybe around the same amount of korok seeds as you. My completion rate is about a third - I don't care to get all 900 koroks so doubt I'll ever hit 100.

Octopath is wonderful, but it's much more challenging than Pokemon :lol: I'll be playing it for a while. I am mixing it up with Wolfenstein II, which is of course completely different but I'm thoroughly enjoying that game as well. Having never had an Xbox or PS or been a PC gamer, the complaints about a game like Wolfenstein on the Switch don't bother me in the slightest. It looks and plays really well to me :shrug:

Hollow Knight I've passed on so far as I've heard it's too hard. I haven't finished Celeste for that reason.

Excited for the Online service next month - can't wait to play SMB1 and 3 for the first time since my childhood.

With you there on the koroks, sod that.

Just got Octopath today so looking forward to jumping in. People have been raving over the gameplay and the presentation looks dreamy.

I've got DOOM instead of Wolfenstein but totally agree with you regarding how these new FPS compare to consoles / PC versions. I'm not a graphics snob in the slightest, so the fact that I can play a game this new and intense on the go more than compensates for a lower frame rate / pixel count / whatever. I'd become an occasional gamer until the Switch came out so maybe I just haven't been spoiled by the jump in graphics this decade.

They're offering the original Zeldas online too! I just hope they roll out SNES and other systems too before too long, not that many NES games I'd want to pick up again tbh.

There should be a main Direct in September, hoping for some 3rd party surprises. A mainline GTA game would be an insta-buy.

Back
Top Bottom