USB Storage Error

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
Hey-

We often connect our camera memory card into an adapter that connects to the computer in order to upload pictures. However, today we are having a problem ejecting the device. We click on the 'USB Mass Storage Device', select 'Stop', choose the device to stop, and then we get an error, stating: The Device 'generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try again later. Well, it's later, and still the same error message. Any ideas on what to do? I don't want to damage the memory card/photos in the adapter connected to the computer, and don't know what to do.

:help:

There may still be a background program associated with it still running. Are the pictures being displayed on the screen still?

Generally, you can disconnect fine with no problems. Ive never known anything to break/go wrong when disconnecting if it says that, SO LONG as it isnt in the middle of something. Then I think the worst that will happen is the thing its doing wont be finished.

Bottom line, it should be fine to take out.

I disconnect my camera all the time when I get a "busy" message (if it is hanging). No data lost so far.

My daughter made sure to close the programs where the photos were uploaded to (Paint Shop Pro) and any folders she had open associated with it. I have a bunch of things that were open & still open before/after she uploaded the photos. I'll try & disconnect shortly. Thanks!

You're so good! I pull my cards out all the time (I use the card reader on my laptop). But, I also am re-formatting them several times a week. The only issues I've had with data becoming corrupt was b/c of something the camera did (and I use a recovery program that came with one of my cards to retrieve the files).

I know someone who actually had 3 years worth of their charity's documents wrecked because they pulled out a USB drive in mid-flow!

If I get that message, which I do quite often, and I'm not in the middle of something else, I just shut down and re-start the computer .... then pull it out as the computer shuts down. It's a matter of a minute or two and could save a lot of fuss later.

I also back up my key to both my dvd backup set and an external hard drive regularly. But then I too have a lot of important stuff on there, as I work between 2 companies and various individual clients at the moment!

Teddy

Back
Top Bottom