Truth be told - Apple SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont disagree that your laptop should still be working. I just dont understand how the age of the dell posts was relevant

Corporate buyers have largely shunned the Mac though - their share of the business market is tiny. The iPhone, on the other hand, has captured 30% of the business market in its niche.

My small business has only ever used Macs--11 plus years now, in fact we started with the 1st Gen iMac when it came out. Not quite the huge corporate segment, but we do buy approximately one new Mac per year. No compatibility issues with our PC clients either.

FWIW

What really got to me was how people would talk like Macs were God's gift to computers, when in reality they're are just another machine that runs slightly better than their competitors at much higher prices. The Apple culture is nauseating enough without the fact that the machine doesn't back up its claims.

I think this is what gets a lot of non-Mac users. As I said earlier, from what I've read while researching, Macs have a failure rate comparable to a mid-quality PC laptop, yet they are several times the price! They've set themselves up as the go-to computer for disgruntled PC users, but I just don't see where the value for the money is, which is something that's still a fairly important selling point for me.

Like I said before, between the cost of mine, and repairs and upgrades, I have a grand total of $650 into my 2 year old laptop at the moment. That's just a hair over 25% of what Deep paid for his, and mine does all I need it to, and since I got rid of Vista and put XP back on it, it's super fast. I don't know. The fact that I could have purchased 4 brand new laptops for what Deep paid for his sort of blows my mind.

I do understand that for some uses, Macs are far superior. I used to use them myself (desktops though, I've never used a laptop). But for the ordinary user? I just can't see it.

Also? My PC desktop is 9 years old. Other than installing a bigger hard drive 4 or 5 years ago, it's had nothing done to it, and it still works fine. It's slow because of its age, and the processors, amount of RAM, etc, that were standard back then, but it still plods along when I need it to.

I'd really like to see John Hodgeman haul off and kick Justin Long in the balls, one of these days. Smug little bastard. :wink:

I just don't see where the value for the money is, which is something that's still a fairly important selling point for me.

Like I said before, between the cost of mine, and repairs and upgrades, I have a grand total of $650 into my 2 year old laptop at the moment. That's just a hair over 25% of what Deep paid for his,

Thing is, many, probably most Mac users didn't spend what deep did. I think I spent about $1500-1600 for my 13" aluminum MacBook (same one Carlos here has). Huge difference - and I haven't had a problem with mine.

As for the value for the money - remember also that until very recently, PC laptops (except the very high end portable business models which were priced as high if not higher than Macs) were BRICKS. When Macbooks were 5 lbs, many PCs were still in the 7-9 lb range. This makes a huge difference to somebody to whom portability is key. Truth be told, I still find that most PCs look like bricks and are chunkier than they need to be. Second, the Mac battery is far superior to any I've had on a PC - again this is very important to me, so I'm willing to pay more. Third, the OS is just way, way WAY better than Windows. Fourth, the simple pleasure of using a Mac over a Windows system (which I still have at work) is worth me spending about double. Many of the irritations I had with PCs are totally gone now.

Do you have to have a Mac? I absolutely don't think so. Would I pay more for one? Every day of the week and twice on Sunday. No question. :shrug:

I've been a Mac user ever since my dad bought the original Mac back in 1984. With the exception of a buggy first generation iMac, I've had smooth sailing the entire time, and I'm now on my 4th Mac (a 15" MacBook Pro, which has performed flawlessly, optical drive and all). I have learned to never buy the first iteration of any new model, though.

For me Macs are absolutely worth the extra money, for many reasons, but for me the biggest is the OS. For me, OS X is miles ahead of Windows when it comes to ease of use and overall design.

I use both all day every day and could nitpick either one to death. As far as working on graphics and photo editing, CS4 is CS4 whether it's on my Mac or my PC, but I do tend to view everything on the Mac because I think the color/gamma is better than my PC LCD (which are both better than my laptop screen).

As far as performance, to be honest lately I have been underwhelmed by my OS X leopard Mac. It starts up faster than my PC, but if you subtracted all the work-related resource hogging crap that the PC is forced to load (which is the main reason I have it - Mac won't play) the difference is marginal. I've reinstalled the OS on my Mac once or twice but still have a few bugs and the biggest annoyance is that it takes longer than the PC to load apps. My work-related stuff that does run on a Mac platform is much yuckier than the PC version but that is not Mac's fault (namely Novell GroupWise and Microsoft Office 2007/2008).

For form-factor, aesthetics, and ease of use...Mac all the way. For price, variety, and ease of customization....PC.

My current laptop is pushing 3 years and is maxed out as far as upgrades so I should start thinking Mac vs. PC. When I got it, I wanted a Mac but could not find one the size I wanted that let me customize how I wanted. I wanted something smaller but when I chose the smaller option, it downgraded all the other specs, wouldn't let me upgrade without actually purchasing a larger, better laptop. This laptop is highly portable, it fits in my purse and is no bigger than any Mac I've seen except for the Air ones. Now I think Mac has more choices and the prices are more comparable. I'm open to refurbs as well.

Second, the Mac battery is far superior to any I've had on a PC - again this is very important to me, so I'm willing to pay more. Third, the OS is just way, way WAY better than Windows. Fourth, the simple pleasure of using a Mac over a Windows system (which I still have at work) is worth me spending about double. Many of the irritations I had with PCs are totally gone now.

I hated Vista, but Windows 7 is pretty good - I'm a lot more productive on it. Acer has a model where they claim an 8 hour battery life. 13" screens obviously consume less power.

What really got to me was how people would talk like Macs were God's gift to computers, when in reality they're are just another machine that runs slightly better than their competitors at much higher prices. The Apple culture is nauseating enough without the fact that the machine doesn't back up its claims.

Ditto!!!!

Annoys the hell out of me listening to "mac-fanatics" like my sister telling our dad he should have got a macbook instead of a pc laptop.

Sooner or later, there will be a plethora of viruses on macs and then I will be soo happy that mac ppl can't back up their claims anymore!!

There are problem's out there like deeps, it isn't a figment of my imagination.

Plus if your macbook gets stolen, holy crap, you're in the hole $1500-$2500 instead of $500-$1499 for say a dell laptop..

Ditto!!!!

Annoys the hell out of me listening to "mac-fanatics" like my sister telling our dad he should have got a macbook instead of a pc laptop.

Sooner or later, there will be a plethora of viruses on macs and then I will be soo happy that mac ppl can't back up their claims anymore!!

Plus if your macbook gets stolen, holy crap, you're in the hole $1500-$2500 instead of $500-$1499 for say a dell laptop..
you're just a ray of sunshine, aren't you?

we get it, you don't like macs.

jesseu2 said:
Plus if your macbook gets stolen, holy crap, you're in the hole $1500... instead of ...-$1499 for say a dell laptop..

Well I know that would be a load off my mind ;) I'd buy gum

Third, the OS is just way, way WAY better than Windows. Fourth, the simple pleasure of using a Mac over a Windows system (which I still have at work) is worth me spending about double. Many of the irritations I had with PCs are totally gone now.

Do you have to have a Mac? I absolutely don't think so. Would I pay more for one? Every day of the week and twice on Sunday. No question. :shrug:

This.

For me Macs are absolutely worth the extra money, for many reasons, but for me the biggest is the OS. For me, OS X is miles ahead of Windows when it comes to ease of use and overall design.

And that.

Gimme a call when this happens, Jesse. I'll be waiting. :wink:

Aren't the components the same in a PC as in a MAC? So essentially your paying more just for the software.

Not always. And the case/form factor itself is superior....well, relative to cost. Obviously a $600 PC laptop wouldn't be expected to compete with a $1500 Mac.

I know people who will pay the price just b/c they prefer the magnetic power attachment.

magsafe.jpg
:up:

So I bought a Samsung external dvd burner for $80, works fine. My optical drive will play cds, but not dvds.

The Apple store wanted about $800 - $900 to fix it.

Replacing the drive was not that expensive. The extra cost was for replacing the bottom part of the casing. A year ago I was watching hulu tv in bed. When I got tired I close the mac-book and set it down beside my bed. I guess it hit the carpeted floor on the corner. It put a ding in the case. Everything worked fine for the next 10 months.

Apple store said because the case had a ding the warranty I could have paid $300- $350 ? for would not have covered any repairs because of abuse?

I said the ding did not cause the drive to fail, it had worked fine for about a year afterwards. They said that Apple would not fix the drive without replacing the case.

They kind of gave me a sympathetic look. I said I would be better off buying an external drive. (and I did)

One employee gave me a card to a Tech repair store a few miles away that he said would repair the drive without the changing the case. But Apple does not allow them to do it at Apple. I went to the store, they get a lot of referrals from The Apple store. They said they get a lot of Mac-books with failed drives. It is a problem as I found when searching the Apple forums.

They said it would take 2-3 days to diagnose and fix. If they had to change the drive out it would be about $300.

On the Apple forums I read the drives cost about $150 but changing them out required special tools and skills. The $300 seemed to be within reason. I bought the external drive because I needed to be up and running.

So now my Mac-book is working fine as an Internet browsing device. Yes the OS is a bit better than Windows XP I am running on my other machines.

I will just have to spend $300 more if I want to watch DVDs or burn disc on this mac-book.

I think if I had it to do over. I would not buy the 3 year warranty for $300, you only get 2 years. The first year is free, as it should be.

I would have bought an external dvd burner. I have burned about 100 dvds on this mac-book.

Ditto!!!!

Macs have been around since 1984. Pretty much virus free for 25 years. You might have to wait a while to rub it in our faces. ;)

There are problem's out there like deeps, it isn't a figment of my imagination.

And there are countless similar problems (and more) with PCs of various makes. Every brand has it's faults. It's not like deep is blowing the lid off some vast Apple conspiracy to screw over its customers. He got a lemon. It happens. With PCs too. :shrug:

Now this is a valid point. But then we get back into the whole discussion of what some people find worth the expense. :)

When measuring their dicks got boring, men created computers so they'd still have something to argue about.

Did you feel like you were only being ignored in the Lemonade Stand and so you posted here to sort of extend your territory?

I'd just like to say that while I'm a long-time Mac user, I have used PCs at work, and, more to the point, don't really care about what computer people use.....I like my Mac, always will, but, rarely take time to brag about it. It's just a fucking computer.

Which makes me ask myself why I posted in here, but, that's another story.

I'd just like to say that while I'm a long-time Mac user, I have used PCs at work, and, more to the point, don't really care about what computer people use.....I like my Mac, always will, but, rarely take time to brag about it. It's just a fucking computer.
i'm inclined to agree. while i love macs and would never go back to using a pc (though of course at work you take what you get), i'm not going to get bent out of shape because someone feels differently. i just dislike misinformation. yes, you can buy a mac for $2500, but what average person is going to do that? (and for the record, plugging in the same specs at dell.com gave me a laptop costing...$2274.)

i don't mind paying a little more for the security and stability macs provide, but others don't. fine with me. as long as every computer owner feels they're getting what they paid for (i mean this in a good way of course), then they made the right choice for them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom