Tricky Network Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
I've got two computers networked together, sharing a DSL connection from a router. Each computer can see the other's shared files, and each says it is connected to the internet (according to XP's Network Connection screen).

Both computers worked fine through Sunday. Monday morning, we find that one computer cannot access the internet (Firefox and Thunderbird do not connect). No settings were changed and both still "see" eachother.

I've repaired the local area connection and there are no indications that the computer isn't connected.

Any ideas how I can get the computer to access the internet?

I know nothing really about computers, but I had something similar on Sunday. I could get on the internet with one and not the other. U2man :bow: suggested I bring up the command screen and do "ipconfig/renew", and it worked. It has happened again on the same computer and I tried this again and it worked again. No idea why it just happened to the one pc, but hopefully it will help you out too.

Last edited:
Have you repaired the connection? Either right click on the LAN connection in Network Connections and hit Repair, or open a command prompt and enter "ipconfig /release" hit enter, enter "ipconfig /renew" hit enter.

Can you ping any sites like google or interference? (open a command prompt and enter "ping www.google.com" or something like that, hit enter)

You can always try turning the router off for a few seconds and powering it back on. We had a similar problem last week - my dad's laptop randomly would not go online - and we just restarted the router and it was fine.

Thanks! I'll give the ipconfig /release - ipconfig/renew a try.

I tried pinging google and it timed out.

I also ran a winsock fix, but that didn't change things either.

As with all things Windows, turning off and on will probably solve the problem.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
As with all things Windows, turning off and on will probably solve the problem.

Made it home at lunch. No change after running ipconfig.

Sure enough, I turned the router off for about a minute. Everything worked when I fired it back up. :banghead:

snowbunny00774 said:
I know nothing really about computers, but I had something similar on Sunday. I could get on the internet with one and not the other. U2man :bow: suggested I bring up the command screen and do "ipconfig/renew", and it worked. It has happened again on the same computer and I tried this again and it worked again. No idea why it just happened to the one pc, but hopefully it will help you out too.

:flirt:

Back
Top Bottom