Touch Screen PCs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Does anyone have one? Dell just came out with one last week, and HP has had one for a while now. I'm just curious how well they work and how difficult it is to get used to using one. I'm not in the market for a new PC but I've seen them in stores and they sure look cool.

Are all PCs going to be touch screen eventually?

When I first saw the HP one I thought "my computer screen gets dirty enough without me touching it!"

Supposedly the screens they use just allow you to wipe them with something like a microfiber cloth. I'm always afraid to put anything on my monitor at home so it's really dirty. It's embarrassingly dirty. I have a spray that I got for electronics, etc. but I don't use it. The monitor is at least four years old so it's old style screen too.

The microfiber cloth works really well, it's also what you use for iPhones, etc. I would also assume that you must be able to buy a screen cover, like for the iPhone where the smudging problem would be decreased.

At the library where I work all of the staff computers are touch screen. The PCs in the computer lab for use by the general public are not.

I don't think I would like using one at home. I still use a mouse at work for the most part, especially when doing research for a patron or when searching the catalog. It's just easier.

How much do these touch screen monitors cost? I've never seen one and have 0 knowledge them. Can I buy one and use it in conjunction with Vista for example?

The Dell and HP are both around 1200, 1300 +-the ones I've seen. I don't know if either company has more than one model yet. It's all integrated into the monitor-including Vista. The Dell even comes in colors.

Back
Top Bottom