Poll: Tell me what you think about MAC VS PC topic.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Liesje said:
These are my compies.

On the left is my personal laptop, in the middle is my work Intel iMac, and on the right is my work GX620:

Work%20Pictures%20010.jpg

Talk about multitasking... :coocoo:

:wink:

I prefer MACs. I find them more intuitive and stable. They are also more aesthetically pleasing. I like the idea that a computer doesn't have to have a tower.

However, the high price point makes it difficult for me to reommend them to people. I have both a windows and a Mac. I find I can generally find my way around the Windows PC much easier, but that's only because I am used to it. The Mac, however, is really much more self-explanatory I find. Usually when I can't figure something out it's because I am looking to hardo find it.

LIES! Omg you like CompUSSR??? :giggle: I used to work there in the tech shop. Not the greatest job ever, but I have to say, back when I worked there, we were the only store that actually worked on computers. Best buy sent all theirs away.

redhotswami said:
LIES! Omg you like CompUSSR??? :giggle: I used to work there in the tech shop. Not the greatest job ever, but I have to say, back when I worked there, we were the only store that actually worked on computers. Best buy sent all theirs away.

Yep, I like the local one b/c I like the guys that work on the floor. They don't swarm you b/c you're a girl, like they do at BestBuy, and then look stupefied when you ask a legit technical question. When I tell them I'm a technician, they're like "oh, ok, so you're probably much more interested in...." instead of the guys at BestBuy who are like "oh, miss, do you know what RAAAAAAM isssss?" Plus, their store has better deals and more choice, even though it's smaller. And you can barter with them :D Oh, and they sell all the Mac stuff as well (and are less crowded than the Apple Store), so it's one stop shopping pour moi.

BestBuy annoys me. They never have anything I actually need (they've got this hugeass store and they'll have like ONE choice for a computer component). The GeekSquad annoys me too. I have a super duper warranty on my digicam and when Bono sprayed the champagne into the lens, I took it back to be professionally cleaned under warranty. I guess I figured if you're a trained and paid technician and your store covers these things, you'd be able to take apart the camera and clean it out. Instead, the GeekSquad had to "send it away" for several weeks and then mail it back to my doorstep. That was like living without my soul for two weeks. I should have just done it myself.

Yeah, I do like that they carry apple stuff, too. I'm surprised that some stores are still sexist when it comes to women and computers. Customers were pretty sexist with me. Saying "I need to speak to a technician" when they approached me. When I told them I was, they said "Oh...well I need to speak to a REAL one." or soemthing to that effect. It happened quite often to me.

However, CompUSSR recently discovered the benefits of having female computer salespersons on the floor. I think their reasoning was that people trust women more then men or something. They tried to get me to do sales, so I said hell no and quit.

Isn't that ridiculous how they send EVERYTHING away? I don't know why they are called the Geek Squad, because they aren't computer geeks in any respect. I think they just hire anyone for that position because they really don't do any sort of repairs or anything themselves.

Last time I went, I was asked out by one of the Geek Squads. Now I have to scope out the scene before hitting up the one in Tenleytown. :uhoh:

Anyone know how difficult it would be to modify a MAC PRO case to accept "PC guts"?

I'm not really sure. Our standard Macs are all laptops or iMacs, and those are nigh unto impossible to deal with (compared to PCs). There are a few Mac Pros on campus, but they are bought w/ grant money and maintained by the profs using them for their projects (the day we can afford to make a Mac Pro the standard desktop is the day I die and go to heaven). If I had a Mac Pro case in my shop, I'd go take it apart, but I'm pretty sure I don't.

I am way overdue for a new PC. I have upgraded it over the years to the point that it is just not worth it any more. As an IT guy myself, I deal with MS OS's all day and had thought that it might be nice to go home to something different. Having never used a MAC and looking at the prices (priced a MAC PRO to just under 8K), I think it would make more sense for me to build another "super PC" and shove it inside a MAC case for aesthetic purposes and then get one of those giant beautiful Apple Cinema displays. Also, does anyone know if Apple supports RAID?.....decisions, decisions

Sorry for not replying to you before, Liesje, I was in the beach, very relaxing btw...lol.
I think our main topic between us was the gamer need of a PC, check out this article courtesy Macworld, to my blog, it's interesting: http://fca780.blogspot.com/2007/01/vistas-built-for-games-how-about-os-x.html
I'll read your posts tomorrow in the afternoon peacefully, so we can continue the discussion, hehe.
-FCA

fca780 said:
Sorry for not replying to you before, Liesje, I was in the beach, very relaxing btw...lol.
I think our main topic between us was the gamer need of a PC, check out this article courtesy Macworld, to my blog, it's interesting: http://fca780.blogspot.com/2007/01/vistas-built-for-games-how-about-os-x.html
I'll read your posts tomorrow in the afternoon peacefully, so we can continue the discussion, hehe.
-FCA

No, I'm not a gamer so I'm really not into that whole thing. My husband is and if I suggest a Mac to him, he just laughs. He has games that will not run on Macs, so he's not willing to give that up AND pay three times as much for something he doesn't need.

My main point is that Macs and PCs are basically the same price if you take the time to compare a PC that is even worth comparing. Also, PCs offer far more choices and are extremely easy to service and replace hardware. This is probably why most people who aren't power users go with PCs. Apple stores are pretty limited, and people like me won't buy a computer without using it first and being guaranteed support within a drivable distance. IMO, the only things that really set the Mac apart from the PC are the OS (a matter of personal and professional choice), the design of the cases (the Mac is designed for looks and portability, the PC is designed for ease of swapping parts in and out and isn't as concerned with looks), and the limited range of choice starting at a much higher standard (most of the common new PCs available aren't even worth comparing to the low-end new Macs).

Liesje, again, I agree with you in some points but there are things that I don't understand, like why a power user would like to have a PC if a mac does the whole thing just in zip? anyway...
bonoishot, I will suggest that, if you are a power user (video editing, render stuff, etc), choose the Macbook Pro, if you are just going to use it for some personal and work tasks, a Macbook will satisfy a lot your desire.
Oh, btw...second poll is almost up and the results page from questionpro.com is very interesting so I can't wait to show you guys the details! Thanks for that 102 votes in a week (I know not all of those were from here, but thanks)!!!
-FCA

fca780 said:
yes and Circuit City...they are coming closer baby!
they used to sell them years ago as well. i remember back in 2001 when i was shopping for a new computer, they had imacs at circuit city. i wonder if the salespeople are as unknowledgeable about them now as they were then :hmm:

For my job I'm required to switch back and forth frequently. In my environment, PCs can do some things Macs won't do as well. And that's play well with a network of PCs.

But if you're not working with a network of PCs, and you can afford a Mac, then get a Mac. The experience of going from a PC to a Mac is a bit like going from driving a Toyota to driving a Mercedes. The Toyota generally gets the job done, but the performance, beauty and grace of the Mercedes makes you want to break into songs of praise. I've noticed very few products these days have that effect. Apple products do.

Back
Top Bottom