New Apple product/updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRocksU2

Blue Crack Addict
From Apple insider dot com;

Apple poised for special event this September

Although it has not yet been announced, investment bank Piper Jaffray believes it's only a matter of time before Apple reveals plans to hold a special event next month to usher in a new array of iPods and Mac notebooks.

The Cupertino-based company has used a September gathering to launch new iPods for the past three years, analyst Gene Munster advised clients in a research report Wednesday, adding that Apple shares have risen about 4 percent on average from the week before those events to the week after.

Historically, shares have risen more than 47 percent between the week before those events to the four months after, he said.

At this year's event, Munster is expecting Apple to refresh its iPod family through a number of "pricing and capacity changes." Specifically, he's looking for capacity increases to iPod shuffles and iPod nanos, but no price reductions on those models. Conversely, the iPod touch is likely to see a redesign "and a new $199 price point, in line with the iPhone."

Sharing the stage with new iPods will be a complete overhaul of the company's mainstream notebook families, Munster believes. In particular, the analyst sees Apple unveiling new industrial designs for both the MacBook and MacBook Pro, and possibly re-entering the $999 price point on the MacBook as it once offered alongside the notebook's iBook predecessor.

"We note that the MacBook has had the same design since its launch over two years ago, and the MacBook Pro has had essentially the same design since its launch over 2.5 years ago, which was very similar in design to the PowerBook G4 released over 5.5 years ago," he told clients. "To compare, the long-running iMac G5 design lasted three years."

In his note to clients, the Piper Jaffray analyst also weighed in with his thoughts on how Apple will expand the presence of its multi-touch technology on the Mac going forward. He said gestures recently added to the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro "are just the beginning of Apple's exploration of multi-touch on the Mac," and that the company clearly holds plans to leverage its technology portfolio from the iPhone to simultaneously advance Mac experience.

"Currently, these gestures require the same touch-sensing technology used in the iPhone, but they use a traditional looking trackpad," the analyst told clients. "Eventually, we expect Apple to change the trackpad to backlit color screens for a more dynamic user interface on the Mac."

Ultimately, Munster expects Apple to introduce a full touch-screen MacBook, although "not until the technology has fully matured over the next 2-3 years."
:up:

Interesting. I LOVE my new iMac, but I can't really think of a use for a "touch" screen desktop or laptop (besides the tablet PCs for drawing). HP has them already and they are getting great reviews, but I'm not really sure why I'd want to be touching my computer screen.

ETA: Actually I can think of a good use, a kiosk station or workstation that controls classroom equipment, but many of those products already exist (we use them here on campus).

20" iMac. I got it at work about a month ago. It's my primary work computer now but I also have an enhanced Dell 755 because most of the administrative stuff I do for work can only be done on Windows (Novell). I use a freeware app called Synergy so I only have one keyboard (new iMac one) and one mouse (PC mouse). My screens are side by side and I can slide from one to the other with the same peripherals, just can't drag stuff over b/c it's not a true extended desktop.

2695041691_ae9943e51b.jpg

Holy crap, a 20"? Very nice.

I've stopped myself from buying another Dell laptop in the past 2 months while waiting for the new MBP.:| I am getting so sick of waiting.

Dell laptops are such pieces of shit, keep waiting! My friend got a laptop from Dell and has had major problems with it right off the bat. After spending like 24 hours total on the phone, having technicians to her house, she decided to buy a new computer. She went on the Dell to send a few final e-mails and it crashed. She punched the LCD, went straight out and got an Apple. She's even taking classes at the Apple store because she's never used a Mac.

I love HPs so I stick with them for personal machines, but since I'm not paying for my work computers I'm not complaining! The 20" iMac seems HUGE, and look at it next to the 21" Dell widescreen. I can't imagine the 24".... I have had some trouble with it and had to reinstall the OS once already but at least it got messed up right away so I didn't really have much to backup.

Dude, all I want is a nano with at least 20 gigs. :drool: Then I'll actually carry my ipod around with me.

As if right on time, the battery in my U2 3G ipod is starting to suck.

The rumour is that a 60+GB for $199 is in the works.....iTouch.

I highly doubt that will happen any time soon. My guess is that the 8GB might get dropped, the 16GB price goes to the 8GB price, and the 32GB goes to the 16GB price.

There's simply no way that Apple can make a 64GB touch for $199. They wouldn't make any money off of it.

Uber, check out Apple's refurbished iPod Touches. I got the 8GB today for $199, and it's gorgeous. Apple has an amazing refurb policy, everything's covered by the 1 year warranty, and you can buy Applecare during that year if you choose. They also replace the outer casings, so the iPod is basically brand new.

20" iMac. I got it at work about a month ago. It's my primary work computer now but I also have an enhanced Dell 755 because most of the administrative stuff I do for work can only be done on Windows (Novell). I use a freeware app called Synergy so I only have one keyboard (new iMac one) and one mouse (PC mouse). My screens are side by side and I can slide from one to the other with the same peripherals, just can't drag stuff over b/c it's not a true extended desktop.

2695041691_ae9943e51b.jpg

You know that Macs can run Windows (XP and Vista) natively now, right? :)

I'm gonna start saving up for a Macbook Pro. Those things are freaking sweet. :D

I'm gonna start saving up for a Macbook Pro. Those things are freaking sweet. :D

I got one about a month ago... no problems so far. :up:

Yes! there is a program called "VMware Fusion" that lets you execute windows like a virtual machine, so you can use windows software without any problem... it's like Apple making fun of Microsoft :lol: I love that :lol:

If someone here read my other topic about buying a white Macbook... well, I finally made a decision and got it :D I learn to love it just a few days :D

I'm going to use Bootcamp on my macbook(when I buy it :wink: ) that makes you able to run both windows and OSX on the same laptop :)

Yes! there is a program called "VMware Fusion" that lets you execute windows like a virtual machine, so you can use windows software without any problem... it's like Apple making fun of Microsoft :lol: I love that :lol:

If someone here read my other topic about buying a white Macbook... well, I finally made a decision and got it :D I learn to love it just a few days :D

You don't need VMware Fusion anymore. Since Apple switched to the Intel chipsets, you can use their BootCamp software to boot natively into Windows - no virtual running issues with accessing the graphics card or anything like that.

You don't need VMware Fusion anymore. Since Apple switched to the Intel chipsets, you can use their BootCamp software to boot natively into Windows - no virtual running issues with accessing the graphics card or anything like that.

really??? :ohmy: wow, I suspected it but wasn't really sure :hmm:
So do you recommend me using bootcamp insted of fusion?? Because I thought it was cool to use windows software "inside" the Mac OS X.
could you explain more about the issues accesing the graphic card using Fusion?? (I haven't used any PC videogames yet). Help me to convince myself :hmm: please

So do you recommend me using bootcamp insted of fusion?? Because I thought it was cool to use windows software "inside" the Mac OS X.
could you explain more about the issues accesing the graphic card using Fusion?? (I haven't used any PC videogames yet). Help me to convince myself :hmm: please

It depends on what you're doing. If you want to play any somewhat graphics intensive games, I'd say use Bootcamp. Then you're actually fully in Windows, not just virtually. But, for just using other Windows programs, Fusion or Parallels, which is another virtual booting program, would do just fine.

Plus, Bootcamp comes free with Leopard, while you'd have to buy those other programs.

Here's the latest;
"iPod Touch and MacBook Updates for September?

A new analyst report from Piper Jaffray claims that Apple's September announcement will reveal a new iPod Touch and new MacBooks.

Analyst Mike Olson predicts that the iPod Touch will be tweaked to resemble Apple's new iPhone 3G and also raises the possibility of price drops and/or capacity increases. Recent Firmware hints have suggested the iPod Touch could see feature upgrades as well. The expectation of a new iPod Touch is also consistent with whispers we've heard.

Olson also points to slimmer MacBooks which could also have newly designed keyboards. This prediction may have been inspired by circulating rumors and photos depicting an aluminum MacBook. Apple has been rumored to be introducing "major design changes" to their notebook computers this fall.

Apple's choice of processors for a new MacBook revision will certainly be Intel's upgraded Penryn processors which were introduced alongside the Montevina platform in July. The latest Intel processors boost processor speeds up to 3.06GHz and also increase bus speeds to 1066MHz (from 800MHz). The new MacBooks will likely also benefit from upgraded integrated graphics with the GMA X4500. The GMA X4500 benchmarks significantly faster than the GMA X3100 found in current MacBooks. While there has been some talk that Apple will migrate to a 3rd party chipset, the implications of such a move remain unclear. "

:applaud:

Yeah, I guess it depends on your uses. If you just want to run a few windows (non-graphics intensive) programs while in Mac OS X, then Fusion would work fine - it would allow you to run Windows programs while still using OS X, although I would recommend buying extra RAM so it's not hogging up all the memory when you do.

Bootcamp allows you to run the full Windows operating system, but you have to boot into it, so you can't run both Windows and OS X at the same time. For any programs that need a lot of processing power, this is definitely the way to go.

So, I'm definitely going to be getting either an 80G or 160G iPod Classic within the next few months. What are the prices on them? Also, has anyone heard about the quality of them yet? Are the batteries able to hold a charge as well as the old ones?

"Apple Event Confirmed for September 9th: 'Let's Rock'

124507-apple-event-9th_400.jpg

Apple is expected to release new iPod nanos and a new iPod Touch. While Macbook and MacBook Pro updates are also in the pipeline, we have heard suggestions that those will not see updates until at least October. "
:hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom