My Macbook is making weird noises

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachel D.

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So you know the sound a Macbook makes when you insert a disk into it? Well, mine has been making a sound similar to that at random, sometimes when it wakes up and sometimes when I'm just surfing the internet and not doing anything out of the ordinary.

It first made this sound about two months ago and I couldn't tell if anything specific caused it, but now it's doing it more often. I just opened it and woke it up and instead of the usual wake-up sound, it made the mysterious CD drive sound. It's not the normal mosquito-like noises that the CD drive makes, but it's a four-syllable version.

I don't know if I explained it very well, but does anyone know why it would suddenly start doing this? Is something wearing out in there? I hardly ever put disks into it, so it's not like that part of it gets a lot of use.

Thanks!

Have you backed up your data? You better.... Anytime I here noises from a laptop or desktop I make a complete back up. Could be a hard drive making the noise, or something less harmless. But don't take a chance.

Have you backed up your data? You better.... Anytime I here noises from a laptop or desktop I make a complete back up. Could be a hard drive making the noise, or something less harmless. But don't take a chance.

I hope it's not the hard drive! I've only had this thing since summer 2008, so it's not even three years old.

Maybe not but I've had a few drives die under two years. It may not be that serious but it's better to play it safe. :hug:

I've got 3 white MacBooks, and one of them has had the superdrive/cd drive replaced twice. Apple had a shitty source for them for a while. Could be as simple as a replacement, which could be under warranty, or cheap/free if you have a sympathetic tech at an Apple Store.

It's always good to clone/backup your hard drive anyway. Mac's Time Machine is a pretty easy to use, but I like having the data files separately somewhere, too.

You could use something like mozy.com or services like that. I have over 80 gigs in my mozy backup (mostly things like family pix)

Its the macbook still running? Just curious.

Sent from my DROIDX using U2 Fan

Aside from Safari freezing the other day, it's been OK. It hasn't made that sound in well over a week. For a while it was doing it every few days.

Actually, come to think of it, I put a CD in it a while back and I don't think it's made The Sound since then. Maybe the CD/DVD player just needed some "exercise."

I could be wrong, but I think it's trying to kill you.

:lol: Did I mention that there's water coming out of it, too? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom