My computer screen is jumping...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I don't know what the fuck is going on. But all of a sudden since the past 10 min, my screen has started jumping kinda in and out. It expands a bit, then contracts... in a really fast motion. Then nothing happens for like 10 seconds. Then again it happens! Anybody know what I'm talking about? :scream:

:drunk:

Damnit! I've not been drinking! Just finishing up some salad right now as a late post dinner snack kinda thing. :shifty:

But my screen's still doing the shimmy shake! Hope my monitor doesn't die on me! :scream:

Then again, that would be a good excuse to replace it with the Flat Panel one I've always wanted! :hmm:

That's strange. I've never encountered anything like it before. Maybe switch off your monitor for half an hour or something and see if that makes a difference?

Woah! You guys are geniuses! I turned it off and on again after a few seconds and it seems to have stopped.. at least for the time being!

It could be one of the first signs that your monitor is going (bad). How old is it? They don't last forever, unfortunately. I don't know if it could be the video card either. I've had several computer problems this week.... :grumpy:

Okay... It came back for a bit but now it's gone away again! Is my monitor possessed? :scream:

Lila, it's a conventional CRT monitor that I bought in 2003 with my Intel Celeron Dell Dimension desktop!

Zootlesque said:
Okay... It came back for a bit but now it's gone away again! Is my monitor possessed? :scream:

Lila, it's a conventional CRT monitor that I bought in 2003 with my Intel Celeron Dell Dimension desktop!

Just keep an eye on it... if it continues to jump for the next few days/weeks, then it may be one of the two things I mentioned above. I've had monitors go out before, and I did replace my video card on my old computer this week. It wouldn't jump all the time, just when it was doing certain functions, like processing information (hard to explain). And monitors don't always live very long, and definitely don't have long warranties :shrug:

My old monitor was doing something similar to what you describe as the "jumping", Zootles and it's not fun. It actually makes you feel off balance and dizzy if you watch it spazz out! I did that turning it off then on and unplugging it, plugging it back in for a while and finally just bought a new one. I actually wish the one I have now would go out so I could get a flat panel :drool: I have one at work and I love it.

My monitor jiggled on and off all last year, but it quit when I moved... I'm pretty sure it had to do with some kind of appliance at my old apartment, either the laundry room next door, or a neighbor's vacuum cleaner or cell phone or something. It works just fine now.

The most common causes I've seen for monitors "jumping" like that are using a cell or radio device near the monitor, speakers to close to the monitor, or other appliances interferring with the monitor.

i had a monitor for 4 years that when it started to go out it did that.

i dunno, you could always check the cable to make sure it's plugged in all the way as well.

Zootlesque said:

:ohmy:

yes, in fact my cell is right next to the monitor!

and my speakers are just behind it.

:der:

Lemme guess, if you turn on the speakers a weird sound comes out too?

:der:

~BrightestStar~ said:
My speakers are relatively close to my moniter, I've not had any problems, and I've had this set up for years.

It's the combination of speakers plus a cell phone or radio (like a walky-talky radio, not a stereo). I fix computers on-site all day long and anytime I call someone or they call me on my radio and the person has speakers, the speakers buzz and pop and the monitor goes nuts.

Yeah... well, I actually had 2 cell phones on my desk pretty close to the monitor. :lol: One is my old phone and it's always off. I moved the other one far away to the other side of the room. Unfortunately I can't move the computer speakers too far away from the monitor. Let's see.. so far the jumping hasn't come back.

:wink:

Can I just use this as an excuse to say that I abso-freakin-lutely LOVE the 'real sing with me' game???

:faint:

Back
Top Bottom