moving music from i-pod to computer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redkat

Blue Crack Addict
My ipod keeps freezing. I went to the Genuis Bar today and he said I likely have some encryption issues with certain songs and need to make them AAC for itunes to like them :blahblah: but because it freezes so often I should do a restore. My harddrive is healthy :heart:

He suggested I get all my beloved tunes off the ipod before I do that, since my laptop crashed a few weeks ago and I lost everything. He couldn't tell me how to do it but said there are programs out there.

So any suggestions? I know there are a couple. Beav you said yours was difficult... he said it should be pretty easy so I think I want someone else :wink:

To rip the tunes out of the ipod, to go My Computer (or any folder for that matter) > Tools > Folder Options > View > check 'show all hidden files'.

Then open up my computer, go to the ipod and it should all be a jumble of folders. Thing is some of the files won't have actual names to them, just numbers and letters. I guess play to see which track is which, copy and drag to the hard drive.

If you want to convert the files to mp3 to AAC or from AAC to mp3, you could try downloading the aac codec from dbpoweramp. That's a good program to convert formats.

Is that what you're looking for Redkat?

Last edited:
Or, Google EphPod and you'll get a nice automated program that can pull the songs from your iPod and put them onto your computer. That's a PC program, I have a Mac and used PodUtil for mine.

onebloodonelife said:
Or, Google EphPod and you'll get a nice automated program that can pull the songs from your iPod and put them onto your computer. That's a PC program, I have a Mac and used PodUtil for mine.

If you need to get songs from your ipod onto your computer, how did you get the songs onto your ipod in the first place? :scratch:

martha said:

If you need to get songs from your ipod onto your computer, how did you get the songs onto your ipod in the first place? :scratch:

I used it when I first got my Mac and had to move the music to the computer :wink: Other law-abiding uses would be if your hard drive fails, or you just want to move the songs to a different computer that you own.

the BEST program to use is IDUMP!

you can download it off the internet, you open it up with your ipod connected and it shows everything on your ipod, you then select the songs you want, and click copy, it then stores all your songs in order of artists in seperate files in your MY MUSIC folder, so you will have lots of folders each named after an artist, then in each artist folder are sub folders with album names. its fantastic, you can use it to steal music off other peoples ipods :wink:

WOW! Thank you :bow:

it took me just 30 minutes to download my ipod to my laptop :)

Martha I do buy mostly cd's but I was going to lose all of the remixes and live versions that I've collected over the past few years. I still need to rip a bunch of cd's into itunes but it's almost back where it was before the computer crash.

Now I can restore my ipod and hopefully that will fix it's problem :up:

Back
Top Bottom