iTunes - Sharing Music Libraries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WCF

The Fly
Ok, so here's my dilemma. I'm worried that next year, when I'm moving out of the house, off to some place far away, and getting another computer, I'll be leaving behind a lot of my music too, since I bought most of it off iTunes (yeah...not smart). My brother and I share the same music, so it's not like I want to transfer music from one computer to another. As unlikely as it probably is, I'd like to be able to transfer music from one computer to another while leaving the original computer's library intact.

I already know you can't use an iPod with more than one computer, so I'm kind of doubting this is possible. But it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the reply.

At least from what I've heard you can't sync an iPod to two computers, for piracy reasons, at least not without some workarounds that you could probably figure out if you were dedicated enough.

I could try burning the music. But think about how much time and how many disks it would take to try and burn a library of a thousand songs. I would think there has to be a more efficient way of pulling this off.

If it's music you purchased off iTunes you should be able to transfer it to a new machine.

You can use the music on another machine. I authorized my new Macbook to play music from my old computer.

ETA you can use the music purchased on up to 5 computers. :up: You need to authorise the new computer to play all your music. You can do this by going to "options" in iTunes, then "advanced" then choose authorise this computer and enter Apple ID and password.

If you search "authorising iTunes account" you should get loads of articles on how to transfer the music over using your iPod.

:)

Thanks a lot wayne and bonoishot. The iTunes account authorization is exactly what I was looking for :)

Thanks a lot wayne and bonoishot. The iTunes account authorization is exactly what I was looking for :)

In the long run, though, burning it and re-importing it is the way to go, so there's no DRM. Either that, or using iTunes Plus or Amazon Mp3.

In the long run, though, burning it and re-importing it is the way to go, so there's no DRM. Either that, or using iTunes Plus or Amazon Mp3.

I did try that at first but with as many songs as i have on my iTunes it would have taken hours, so decided authorising was quicker. I do have them all backed up on CD anyway though, just incase anything happens to the computer. :)

I've never used Amazon mp3, whats it like?

I understand why someone would want to do this, but burning and reimporting would just take forever. Even if something tragic did happen to my music, I figure since I've already bought it, I'd be justified by reobtaining it through.... various other, perhaps objectionable means ;)

These work ok?

I think so, yes.

I've never used Amazon mp3, whats it like?

Everything is 256 kbps and DRM free. Generally, it's cheaper, too. However, the selection is smaller.

I understand why someone would want to do this, but burning and reimporting would just take forever. Even if something tragic did happen to my music, I figure since I've already bought it, I'd be justified by reobtaining it through.... various other, perhaps objectionable means ;)

I'm just a perfectionist who likes all his music DRM-free. :wink:

I'm just a perfectionist who likes all his music DRM-free. :wink:

Haha I understand. If I were to start DRM-stripping my music, I'd feel compelled to finish the job... which would take forever. What I'd like to know is how long you've spent de-DRM'ing your library? :ohmy:

Haha I understand. If I were to start DRM-stripping my music, I'd feel compelled to finish the job... which would take forever. What I'd like to know is how long you've spent de-DRM'ing your library? :ohmy:

Not much time. Most of my music is from actual cds, and I refuse to buy regular iTunes (partially due to quality). I will only buy iTunes Plus or Amazon Mp3 (as they have no DRM).

as long as you choose manual sync and both computers are off the same os, you can hook up your ipod to either computer.

and if both computers are macs, when you get the new one, it will ask at some point during the set up process if you have another computer you want to get files from. if you select yes, just hook up a firewire cable from one to the other (it'll tell you when to do this) and you can select the types of files you want to copy (i believe you can select documents, photos, music, and applications). so just select music and everything in your music folder will copy over. it'll take a little, but not as long as it'd be burning discs or anything.

Back
Top Bottom