iTunes & DRM free up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Microsoft woulda done it for free. :shrug:

I have several tracks with Microsoft DRM on them that I bought from 7digital and other vendors. Those stores have switched to unprotected MP3, but none of them has offered me any option to upgrade.

I've tried redownloading and I just get the same protected WMA file again. If you want to upgrade you have to buy the track at full price.

Did the Zune Marketplace offer free upgrades when they went DRM-free?

Sooo.... lets say that I've bought a crap load of stuff already in a different PC but now I have a different one with an external drive. How exactly will that work... based on my "purchase history"?

Sooo.... lets say that I've bought a crap load of stuff already in a different PC but now I have a different one with an external drive. How exactly will that work... based on my "purchase history"?

Your only option is to upgrade everything (or at least everything that is currently available in iTunes plus) you've ever bought from iTunes, assuming you used the same account on both machines.

Well, the other option of course is NOT to upgrade.

Your only option is to upgrade everything (or at least everything that is currently available in iTunes plus) you've ever bought from iTunes, assuming you used the same account on both machines.

Well, the other option of course is NOT to upgrade.

Yeah, same account... I'll pick and choose I guess. This sucks! :doh:

i guess i'm not understanding that the big deal is about having to pay the small fee to upgrade. sure, it'd be nice if they weren't charging for it, but i wouldn't have expected it to be a free service. personally, i won't bother upgrading not because of the price, but because i honestly don't hear a difference between the two file types. i just don't have an ear for that stuff.

It's not that it's a big deal really. The way I see it, I've spent a lot of cash buying songs from the store. Now, they will offer everything DRM-free. As a loyal customer I would think that for those who have paid for songs already... why not do a free update? I think it's fare. Now, I checked to see how much it would be to upgrade what I have so far and it would be like $80.00. That's a lot of money. .30 cents might be measly but its adds up. True that you can't really tell the difference in quality but the only reason that I started to consider upgrading but now I'm having second doubts is because I want to be able to play them on my Dj program. Can anybody relate to that why I think its a bit unfair?

Yeah, and then I would spend another what... $20, $30 on CD's?!?!? C'mon....
by my estimation, given the numbers you posted before, it sounds like you have ~1500 itunes tracks. on average 25 tracks can fit on a cd (plus it makes the math easier), coming out to 60 cds. 100 cd spindles cost $10-15. that's not too bad i think, plus then you have all your purchased tracks automatically backed up in case, god forbid, something happened to your hard drive or something.

by my estimation, given the numbers you posted before, it sounds like you have ~1500 itunes tracks. on average 25 tracks can fit on a cd (plus it makes the math easier), coming out to 60 cds. 100 cd spindles cost $10-15. that's not too bad i think, plus then you have all your purchased tracks automatically backed up in case, god forbid, something happened to your hard drive or something.

Try almost double that... 3275 items, 42.69GB to be exact. About a third are burned I would say...? I have been thinking of doing a back-up via CD's but, all my stuff is on an external drive now.

My point is that for me, I see it as a lot of money at the cost of having everything freed-up and cleaner. :doh:

Try almost double that... 3275 items, 42.69GB to be exact. About a third are burned I would say...? I have been thinking of doing a back-up via CD's but, all my stuff is on an external drive now.

My point is that for me, I see it as a lot of money at the cost of having everything freed-up and cleaner. :doh:

Then do it.

Back
Top Bottom