iTunes & DRM free up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa man

Refugee
So I guess its gonna cost you a pretty penny to free up your current iTunes purchased songs. For instance, take you "Complete U2" box set. It was what, around... 446 songs? Its something like $32.00 per album to free up. CAn someone clarify me in the details?

Basically, there will be an option to upgrade your songs (to better sound quality and to remove the copy-protection) in the iTunes store. You'll have to decide whether or not paying $.30 per song to upgrade is worth it to you or not.

yeah but if its yours already... why pay 0.31 cents more? Why can't they just create an upgrade that will free up everything that you have ever bought on iTunes.

What was smart ass about that? Why is it when people state some reality you start calling them names?

C'mon... it was a sarcastic comment and you know it.

No, my car did not get upgraded to a newer model all by itself and neither did my computer. I think that my question or comment merits a smart answer.

So I guess its gonna cost you a pretty penny to free up your current iTunes purchased songs. For instance, take you "Complete U2" box set. It was what, around... 446 songs? Its something like $32.00 per album to free up. CAn someone clarify me in the details?

Isn't it .30 per song, or about 3.30 per album, not $32?

Burn the tracks to a CD and re-rip them. Problem solved for the few cents a blank CD costs. Purists will probably complain that that lowers the sound quality of the files, but truthfully, I've never noticed a difference.

I'm not thrilled with the sliding price scale Apple is going to implement in iTunes. I started using Amazon's mp3 service a few months ago, and I doubt I'll use the iTunes store very much anymore, because the Amazon service is more affordable, and I've had no problems with it so far.

something like that. I just think that its a bit unfair that you have already paid for them, they are yours and now to free them up and play them freely anywhere else, you have to pay more $$$. Rediculous...

Can you not burn those songs you own and play them in your car? I'm really not sure what you are talking about...

I have about 3,000 songs in my library. A crap load! Now, I'd say about half or so are from CD's that I've imported. Don't care about those... it's the ones that I've purchased from the iTunes store. Some are albums others are single songs. So let's say I want to free them up to play them in my DJ program that I have... well, now I would have to pay around $450.00 to free them up.... @ 0.30 cents... that's a lot of money.... and I own them! Does that make sense?

something like that. I just think that its a bit unfair that you have already paid for them, they are yours and now to free them up and play them freely anywhere else, you have to pay more $$$. Rediculous...

I have about 3,000 songs in my library. A crap load! Now, I'd say about half or so are from CD's that I've imported. Don't care about those... it's the ones that I've purchased from the iTunes store. Some are albums others are single songs. So let's say I want to free them up to play them in my DJ program that I have... well, now I would have to pay around $450.00 to free them up.... @ 0.30 cents... that's a lot of money.... and I own them! Does that make sense?

But you're also getting a higher quality file, not just getting them unprotected. You technically don't have to pay to get them unprotected, others have already told you how to do that if you wanted to. So, you're paying $.30 to get better sound quality and no file protection. And, actually, if you look at the sound quality that most songs on iTunes are: 192kbps and what you're getting for .30 cents more: 256kbps, you're getting about a 1/4 more kbps for 1/3 more than you originally paid for it, if that makes sense. :wink: Of course, the improvement in kbps doesn't work that way at all, but if you have a decent pair of headphones (aka not the iPod buds), you will most definitely be able to tell the difference between those two sound qualities anyway. Is that worth the $.30 to you?

And please, Apple is a business just like any other company, of course they're going to charge for an upgrade in quality such as this one. It's pretty obvious that they're out to make money. :shrug:

It takes too long to burn a CD? :eyebrow: If you're too lazy to do that, then you might as well pay the .30 per song.

It's not being lazy... It doesn't make sense for me to have to take that step when I'm sure they can write a tool to just do an update and unlock every song in your library that you've ever purchased. If my pal was able to unlock all of the U2 box set a few years ago... they can certainly do it but they rather charge you for it.

But you're also getting a higher quality file, not just getting them unprotected. You technically don't have to pay to get them unprotected, others have already told you how to do that if you wanted to. So, you're paying $.30 to get better sound quality and no file protection. And, actually, if you look at the sound quality that most songs on iTunes are: 192kbps and what you're getting for .30 cents more: 256kbps, you're getting about a 1/4 more kbps for 1/3 more than you originally paid for it, if that makes sense. :wink: Of course, the improvement in kbps doesn't work that way at all, but if you have a decent pair of headphones (aka not the iPod buds), you will most definitely be able to tell the difference between those two sound qualities anyway. Is that worth the $.30 to you?

And please, Apple is a business just like any other company, of course they're going to charge for an upgrade in quality such as this one. It's pretty obvious that they're out to make money. :shrug:

I hear what you are saying. Does the quality matter to me.... mmmm a bit but c'mon. 0.30 cents starts to add up when you have a lot of songs. Apple are bastards! I know that they like to charge for everything. It would be nice of them to just do an update with a tool.... since you've already spent a shit load of money to begin with purchasing a lot of songs.

Back
Top Bottom