Is there any headphones brand better than Sennheiser?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Man said:

more on this now, ntalwar?

:up:
Now that they're broken in, they are a pure joy to listen to.
The bass is clearer after the break-in period (20-30 hours).
They're noticeably better than the Sony model I was using before.

Just bought the Sennheiser 555's! :dance: Shipping January 4th--woo-hoo!

Utoo said:
Just bought the Sennheiser 555's! :dance: Shipping January 4th--woo-hoo!

Mine arrived just after Christmas. So far I'm loving them. :yes:

hey, 3 people have already bought sennheiser since the creation of this thread.

this is probably the most important thread on interference ever :drool:

U2Man said:
hey, 3 people have already bought sennheiser since the creation of this thread.

this is probably the most important thread on interference ever :drool:

Not counting the Oregon Trail thread, right? :wink:

How much of a commission are you making from Sennheiser?

U2Man said:

:combust:

They just came yesterday! :drool: Obviously, they haven't been able to 'break in' yet, but so far, they're incredible. Besides being uber-comfortable, the sound is amazing. I deleted Joshua Tree from iTunes and re-ripped it at 320kbps. Streets is :drool:. You can distinctly, clearly hear that Edge is playing with an upside-down Herdim pick. Bono sounds as if he's standing alone in the middle of a vast, empty room pouring his guts out, with this burst of music coming from either side of him. I'm picking up new qualities to sounds that I'd known before, plus hearing new sounds I'd never heard. So many extra layers in Streets. Extra percussion----an almost silent high-hat, it sounds like---in ISHFWILF. I listened to the "Mountains and Deserts Platinum Edition" bootleg, and the lifelike grit in Bono's voice is breathtaking.

So much more to discover!

:faint:

On RHMT now. The intro is now kick-ass. Shyte! Just heard something different in Edge's backing vocals (and can now distinctly hear Lanois on backing vocals...maybe I just didn't pay attention before, but it's pretty clear now).

Get 'em.

they are better than any headphones you've ever used before, right? sennheiser kicks ***.

hows the bass?

Last edited:
Yeah, they're definitely better than anything I've ever used before. :yes: I feel like I haven't fully put them to the test yet, especially in terms of bass. All I've listened to so far are half of JT and a few songs off that bootleg.----nothing that's really thumpin'. I'm hoping to test them out some more in the next few days.

but yes, they definitely kick ass. :wink:

U2Man said:
ahem, with or without you? :eyebrow:

WOWY = :combust:

The intro is spectacular....actually sounds a bit different to me. Pretty darn cool. One of Bono's best vocal takes ever, and it's made clear.

Oh, and the bass? "Get Back" from the Beatles Love album------sounds like there's a bass drum right in front of you. It doesn't sound like synthetic, studio bass....it sounds like a real bass drum.

Go ahead....you don't need to eat for a month! :wink:

Last edited:
I need to bump this thread b/c now I want new headphones. I've never used headphones other than the ones that came with my discman (yes, discman, I've never had an mp3 player). I mainly will be listening from my computer. We're going on a long trip, but I listen off my computer since it is small, has all my mp3s, and I also use it to watch movies. I actually plug it into the cigarette lighter, so power is not an issue. My computer is an HP Pavilion dv2050, so the capacity of sound quality output is whatever video card my comp has.

Basically, I want nice head phones with the headband (not behind the head or ear buds) that also cancel outside noise to some extent. It's going to be an 18 hr car ride with my little sister and her friends, plus you know how there's just a lot of noise driving fast on the highway with windows down (yeah our AC has been broken for years). I'm not an audio tech buff, I just need something better than the types of headphones you get free on planes.

Recommendations?

Look into the Sennheiser HD280 - others here like them, and they claim to have "Up to 32 dB of ambient noise attenuation".

I'm thinking about getting some Sennheiser HD201...they're going for less than $20 on Amazon, and I'm poor, so that works nicely. Anyone have them? How's portability? I don't use headphones that much, but I'd like to upgrade from the standard iPod headphones.

I have a pair of the 201s. They actually sound amazing for only $20. Good detail and balance. Maybe a little big for portable use, but nowhere near as big as the 280.

I now have 3 pairs of Senns. The 201s, the 580s, and I got the 595s for Xmas with the help of an Amazon gift certificate. I think the 595s may have become my new favorite headphone (the 580s had been king for a looooong time).

201<<<<<<580<<595

Diemen said:
I have a pair of the 201s. They actually sound amazing for only $20. Good detail and balance. Maybe a little big for portable use, but nowhere near as big as the 280.

I now have 3 pairs of Senns. The 201s, the 580s, and I got the 595s for Xmas with the help of an Amazon gift certificate. I think the 595s may have become my new favorite headphone (the 580s had been king for a looooong time).

201<<<<<<580<<595

:up: The only time I truly use headphones would be if I'm on public transportation, so I guess super portability isn't an issue, but I don't want something that's going to sprain my neck either. The 201s are pretty lightweight, right?

Maybe I'll get the 201s. Would they be good for listening to music off my laptop whilst in the car (not driving duh)? I'm not willing to pay more than $50 for something I'm getting mostly for a single road trip. I do want bigger ones that cover my ears and have a headband. It seems like even if they aren't "noise canceling" if they cover your ear they're going to cancel some of the noise better than the cheap ones that are just a little pad over part of your ear.

I just picked up the 201s. It ended up being $20 + some change. I'll probably look like a nerd while I'm wearing them :shrug: but anything has to be better than the plastic discs they send with iPods. :lol:

Lies, the description on Amazon said that they do cancel out "ambient" noise, and from the descriptions I read, it does a nice job of cancelling some of the noise, mostly quieter noises, like co-workers.

The 201s should work pretty well for you, Lies. They're very lightweight, and are closed so they do block out a little noise, just don't expect to be completely isolated from the rest of the car. :)

Though truth be told I rarely wear headphones out in public. I mainly listen in my room. The only time I wear headphones in public is when I'm flying somewhere, then I use my Etymotic ER-6 (in-ear phones), that block out A LOT of sound (air travel is so much less fatiguing if you can block out the roar of the engines...). They're practically earplugs - if I'm wearing them at home I can't even hear the phone ring or someone talking right behind me. But at home I usually listen to the 595s, and those barely block out a thing, but are oooooh so comfy. :D

Last edited:
U2Man said:

771.jpg

actually, these are much better than i first thought. they cost around 100 dollars.

The HD 205s are also under $50.
I also have a Sennheiser in-ear model, and like Diemen, I find it reduces outside noise the best (if you stick it in all the way). I agree - it's basically like wearing earplugs.

Back
Top Bottom