Installing Windows XP on a Mac? Halp. :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
I want to install XP on a 5gb partition on my Mac, but it says I need service pack 2, and the disk is SP1, so is it still ok to install and just update afterwards or should I not attempt it?

If theres even the SLIGHTEST risk of stuff buggering up, I dont want to take the chance. :huh:

Perhaps it's in the bootcamp manual, but I'm not sure. I installed our old XP disk on the bootcamp partition, had to do a SHITLOAD of updates later, but it works fine.

I don't think it'll mess stuff up.

Best I can find on the apple support forums is "you shouldnt do it just incase" type of thing, not that it wont work outright.

:C

(kinda shit that it wants me to PRINT out the bootcamp manual too, 25 pages? piss off. :angry: )

What sorta mac did you install yours on?

On the new Macbook.

Perhaps this can help? Just found it on google. Apparently you can make a new installation disk with the SP1 disk and the SP2 files(those are downloadable).
InsanelyMac Forum > Windows XP SP1 On Mac?

This guy gives a pretty clear explanation :)
Jul 10, 2006, 11:38 AM
the reason why bootcamp requires sp2 is because the bootcamp drivers work only for sp2, not sp1. Therefore, yes SP1 does work. You can boot into windows with it, but you would be missing graphics drivers, internet, sound, bluetooth.. etc... with no way of updating them.

If you only own the SP1 CD, do what everyone suggested and google slipstream. It allows you to put SP2 onto your SP1 CD.

So better not use SP1, rather make the slipstream disc. :)

Back
Top Bottom