How Will HDTV Look

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think we get HD anyway (isn't that extra?), just "digital" basic whatever, and no special sports channels. He seems to play sports games and fantasy on the computer more than watching them on TV and his computer screen is much better quality and was larger than our old TV. Last time we watched a movie we used his computer b/c it also has a sound system.

Yeah, you'd have to have an HD receiver. The costs do add up, eventually.

I just bought an HDTV two weeks ago, finally. It's amazing, but it was not exactly cheap. :) Video games look great on an HDTV too....but, you have to pick your spots with using disposable income, I know.

On a clunky old analog TV? With digital cable, not a converter box

Anyone know? Will it just be a better picture or will it look at all like HD on an HDTV?

And won't the prices of HDTV's drop significantly next Feb?

It seems you are under the impression that all TV will be switching to HDTV in February? If so, this is not the case. They are just switching from analog to a digital broadcast. There is a big difference between a digital broadcast (DTV) versus a high definition tv (HDTV).

So no, you dont really have to worry about buying a specific HDTV in time for February and no, HDTV's prices won't drop anymore than what they normally would over the next year.

if you watch tv through cable or satellite right now, this change won't affect you at all. but if you still use a bunny rabbit antenna to get your signal, then you will be affected and need to buy a converter box. more info is here:

http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq1

this thread is like a month old but hey, i'm not really bumping it since it's on the first page still :uhoh:

just wanted to say i have a samsung lcd, and i like it. the picture quality, i think, is good. i don't have a huge 50" tv so it's not like omgwowamazing, but it's definitely better than the picture on my old tv. i'm a samsung whore though, so if i ever buy a tv, it's got to be a samsung.

i'm a samsung whore though, so if i ever buy a tv, it's got to be a samsung.
Samsung was actually not a very "good" brand in electronics before, it was actually looked down in the electronics category.....but their Cell Phone product line up changed all that in the past 7 years.
Now, it's one of the most recognizable names in LCD tv's.
You got a great tv.

HD is a quarter of the quality of film, but for home viewing it is small enough that it will look similar and you can see film grain for Blu-ray movies for example. (If they're done properly. Some movies have Digital Noise Reduction which removes some detail along with the film grain.)

yeah, thanks for that speedy reply :wink:

My new Samsung calls to me with it's Siren Song :|

Elfa.... Elfa... Release me from my cardboard prison!

This next month is going to be painful... On top of that, my old 27 inch Panasonic tube tv has discovered my treason and has started to rebel - the screen keeps flickering :angry:

yeah, thanks for that speedy reply :wink:

My new Samsung calls to me with it's Siren Song :|

Elfa.... Elfa... Release me from my cardboard prison!

This next month is going to be painful... On top of that, my old 27 inch Panasonic tube tv has discovered my treason and has started to rebel - the screen keeps flickering :angry:
anytime! :D

ooh, we just had to take a tv in to be fixed that we just got two years ago, now it won't turn on. it's also the only non-samsung tv in our house at the moment. coincidence? i think not :wink:

Back
Top Bottom