How doi password encode my wireless router?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I have a linksys router for my laptop and lately I've been noticing some strange iTunes library being shared on my iTunes.

Does anyone know how to password protect it? I've fiddled around with the settings for a while but it never works out right.

Thanks.

go to the setup page of your router... for me it's an ip adress, it should be in the manual...
you can find the settings there, and also security settings
there you can choose wether you want a WPA or a WEP key, and set a password with them... anyone wanting to go online with your router has to put the WPA or WEP key you have and the password, otherwise no connection :)

You can also stop broadcasting your SSID so anyone who wants to use your network has to know the name of it.

You have to make these changes on the router itself so it won't matter what computer you use as long as you're connected to the router and have an internet browser where you can enter the router's IP address. I think the Linksys default IP is usually http://192.168.1.1/

It should be in the router's manual. For example, some router's are "admin" and no password or "comcast" "1234". If you Google the router model number you can probably find it online.

Back
Top Bottom