Help! Virus!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Okay, so my computer informed me all of a sudden this evening that it has been infected with a worm win32.sober or something. And since I don't have anti-virus, I promptly went to download.com and downloaded the highest rated free anti-virus program available called Avast.

After the scan, I deleted most of the infected files except ones that it said were in the Windows folder and may be critical. Now there are 3 files from that C:/windows folder that I have quarantined.

a5wu37rd.exe FROM C:\windows\system32
ln_reco.exe FROM C:\windows\temp
uninstall.exe FROM C:\windows

Ideally I'd like to delete these files since they are infected.. but don't want to end up deleting some crucial system file. I'm not sure if that uninstall.exe is an actual windows uninstall file or a trojan parading as a system file.

Do you guys know if I can delete these files??? :help:

And now I lost my wallpaper. I think one of the files I deleted may have had something to do with it. Can't set anything as wallpaper now. :|

xaviMF22 said:

Start --- > Control Panel ---> Performance and Maintenance ---> System Restore.

:ohmy: Will that restore all the way to the beginning or can I set the date??? :ohmy:

Cos I don't wanna lose everything I have ever saved on this comp!!

Zootlesque said:

:ohmy: Will that restore all the way to the beginning or can I set the date??? :ohmy:

Cos I don't wanna lose everything I have ever saved on this comp!!

you can pick a date to where you want to restore your computer.

Wow! What a great feature :bow: but I'm not sure what happened. I tried it... twice actually.. both times it said it could not restore to that date. Then I gave up and went to my desktop... and my wallpaper is back! :yippie: I don't know if it restored anything or if it got rid of the virus or what... but the file that makes the wallpaper work is obviously back!!

Thanks xavi! and liesje! :hug: :hug:

So is this supposed to work even after virus attacks?? (cos mine said "could not restore") And does that mean you can simply turn back time and pretend like the virus never attacked your system??? :laugh:

I would not totally rely on a System Restore to fix a virus. Often virus attack the restore files. Also, System Restore only looks at files in certain locations (program files, config files, registry, etc). Many, many viruses and worms infect parts of your user profile, like the Local Settings\Temp or even your Desktop or My Documents. These areas are not affected by System Restore.

If it works, I would do it, but not assume the problem is gone. There is still some vulnerability that allowed the virus in the first place, and that will need to be addressed. I suggested the restore point so that if you deleted those files and something bad did happen, you would at least have a restore point that recovered those particular files.

Back
Top Bottom