Good MP3 Ripping Software?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevated_u2_fan

Blue Crack Supplier
Hi there,

I am currently using a crappy MP3 player with limited space - 256 mb :)reject: I know...)

Anyhoo, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good software to rip MP3s.

By good, I mean:

1. Free or very cheap

2. Able to rip at variable bit-rates (I am currently ripping at 64 mbs instead of the standard 128 mbs to save space)

3. Decent sound quality.

I am currently using Winamp, which does the job, but the songs sound a little on the weak side...

Any recommendations (other than buy a bigger MP3 player)?

Well, an mp3 at 64 kbps won't make a difference one software program to the next. I rip mine at 192 or better. 128 still sounds kind of "tin-ey" to me, but 192 or better my ears can't tell the difference.

I give 64 :down: but it has nothing to do w/ the ripping program, it's just a crappy bit rate.

Liesje said:
Well, an mp3 at 64 kbps won't make a difference one software program to the next. I rip mine at 192 or better. 128 still sounds kind of "tin-ey" to me, but 192 or better my ears can't tell the difference.

I give 64 :down: but it has nothing to do w/ the ripping program, it's just a crappy bit rate.

Crap... Thats what I was afraid of. Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a new Creative sound card.:hmm:

elevated_u2_fan said:

Crap... Thats what I was afraid of. Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a new Creative sound card.:hmm:

Your sound card only allows 64 or less?

Liesje said:

Your sound card only allows 64 or less?

No, it's an onboard soundcard, it works fine but doesn't have any kind of good ripping software. All the third party software I've tried sounds "Tin-ey" as well. The Creative one I had before riped at 64 mbs and sounded good (surprisingly good)...

I used itunes to change the bit rate. All my MP3's are at 320mbs and they sound so good on my shure e2c earphones.

Back
Top Bottom