General Video Game Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R: So this is what kids are doing these days instead of watching television?
L: Apparently.
R: Seems like a lateral move.

What games do you have?

I added you on PSN (Zzyzx00)
NHL09 and Burnout Paradise so far. I'm loving NHL as it's the first decent next-gen sports game I've played for an extended period of time. Burnout's physics and crashes are, of course, top notch and for 19.99 it's a steal.

NHL09 and Burnout Paradise so far. I'm loving NHL as it's the first decent next-gen sports game I've played for an extended period of time. Burnout's physics and crashes are, of course, top notch and for 19.99 it's a steal.

Challenge me to a game of NHL next time you see me online. :up:

Really enjoyable. The game will forever be compared to 4 (which is unfair as 4 was a classic, yet understandable considering it really is a sequel to 4 in regards to both gameplay and plot). Seriously though, if you loved 4, I don't see how you won't get a great deal of satisfaction from 5 (unless you're ridiculously nitpicky and petty). Coop is an absolute blast. I put 3 or 4 hours into the game solo, and still had a great time, but coop makes the game considerably more enjoyable in my opinion. If you get the game, you really need to make an attempt to play coop, even if it's just with random people over Xbox Live or PSN.

There are some really impressive graphics in the game, certain areas are amazing. If you're a graphics whore, you'll enjoy it (though there are admittedly some nitpicky areas that obviously got less time on the graphics than the rest). Regardless, I'd say it's sitting pretty close to the top of the list for having some of the best graphics of this generation.

The core gameplay is admittedly quite similar to 4, but it's all bigger and really fun. You'll get in battles with huge amounts of characters, or sections where you straight up have no idea how you're ever going to pass it when you first see what you have to fight. The "rail shooing" type moments in the game were actually incredibly fun and some of the most memorable moments (instead of terrible, like in a lot of games). There are some obvious differences in gameplay in regards to your inventory and how it's handled in real time between the two of you, but it all seems to work out well in the game, and actually makes the game considerably more "tense". This inventory system also requires you to actually "cooperate" with your partner (even if you're playing it solo with the AI partner), which makes it more enjoyable and immersive as well. The enemies are fun, varied, and fit the setting. The claims of the game being "racist" seem ridiculous now when you actually play it. The bosses are pretty jaw droppingly cool, and quite fun as well.....until the end. There were a number of boss battles in the last bit of the game that were straight up annoying in how you had to kill them. It's not that the method to do it was bad, it's that it takes you multiple times of trial by error until you figure it out. There were a few I don't think I EVER would have figured out what I was supposed to do without looking online or just getting lucky. Both of us were quite frustrated during the last 3 hours or so of the game, as the bosses turn more to the really bad side of Japanese game development with trial by error, confusing gameplay choices, too many cut scenes, and repeated "you think he's dead, but he's not really dead!" segments. Admittedly a lot of that could have been because of how long we'd been playing, but I imagine a large number of people will feel the same way towards the end. It just seems really anti-climactic to have an absolutely stellar game become annoying and lose its fun factor for the last 20% of the game. It'll be interesting to play through it again, as maybe I'll think it's fun now that I know exactly what I need to do.

A couple items to nit pick: overall "scariness" and controls. This game isn't remotely scary. It's very intense, and there are moments that get the blood pumping because you're "scared" that you're going to die or not get a way, but you're never frightened from atmosphere. There aren't even any cheap "jumpy" moments. Compare it to other recent horror games like Dead Space (which was obviously modeled after RE4) or Condemned, and there's a night and day difference. Sure, RE4 wasn't all that scary either, but still leaned much farther in that direction than this did. It doesn't hurt the game, but it's disappointing in comparison to how the series used to feel. You need to expect an action game, not a horror game. And that leads me to the controls. They're adequate, and work fine in the game, but they're friggin' dated at this point and it'd be nice if Capcom actually got off of their high horse and looked at big Western 3rd person titles for at least a little inspiration.

Don't let my gripes worry you too much. Overall, it's a blast and another great episode of a classic franchise. If you're a fan of the series (particularly 4), I honestly don't know how you won't have a hell of a good time with this. As always, Capcom put a ton of value in the game: Around a 12-15 game on normal difficulty, massive amounts of unlockables (weapons, costumes, graphical filters, effects, characters, abilities, etc), the ability to play through the game again on higher difficulties with your upgraded inventory (finally!), different modes (Mercenaries in online coop after you finish the game!), tons of back story etc. etc. etc. I'm already looking forward to playing through it again on a harder difficulty, and putting some serious time into Mercenaries mode.

this is why I like you :up: I'm kind of disappointed they continue to move more towards action and away from the horror/puzzle aspect of the early titles but I did really enjoy 4 so I don't think this one is going to let me down.

Anyone interested in a purchase/trade for some Gameboy games? (all boxed)

Mario Golf (GB Color)
Links Awakening DX
2x Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Gold
Pokemon Red

I really want Silent Hill 4, so if any of you happen to want to trade, please let me know. Or if you have any 360 games you want to trade even. Im open to suggestions. :)

Did you not hear about how it was released yesterday and crashed most people's systems and had all sorts of unfinished garbage in it on the peoples systems it actually worked on? They immediately pulled it and haven't made it available to purchase again yet.

Glad I hadn't downloaded it yet.

Agreed. I'll download it when it's re-released. I still haven't finished Op Anchorage.....

I'm thinking I wont even play this one until the next one is released so all the playing counts towards actual leveling up.

Over the weekend I downloaded the new map pack for Call of Duty: World at War and played those a ton with a friend. Also played some more RE5 on a higher difficulty (with all my upgraded weapons) and did some mercenaries mode coop online with Audiophile. I played so much last week and over the weekend, I've been burned out and haven't even considered playing anything.

Agreed. I'll download it when it's re-released. I still haven't finished Op Anchorage.....

I'm thinking I wont even play this one until the next one is released so all the playing counts towards actual leveling up.

I've been playing past level 20, at first it was kind of depressing not getting any experience but now I kind of like it, the need to explore everything and just watch the story unfold takes center stage.

I've been playing past level 20, at first it was kind of depressing not getting any experience but now I kind of like it, the need to explore everything and just watch the story unfold takes center stage.

Agreed, it's not a big deal, I did a ton of it that way. Then when I found out there would be a DLC that adds more levels, i wanted to have something to actually do to help build to it. I was worried I'd do everything and have nothing to do to help get to 30.

So I told NSW last Thursday or so that I'd have GOW2 by the end of the week. That really didn't pan out.

I'm broke and/or cheap.

GDC was meh. Nothing that exciting was announced. Although if you're into playing video games on your computer, OnLive could be a great thing for you. I'm happy they finally allow a high capacity SD card for the Wii now. 2GB was not nearly enough.

GDC was meh. Nothing that exciting was announced. Although if you're into playing video games on your computer, OnLive could be a great thing for you. I'm happy they finally allow a high capacity SD card for the Wii now. 2GB was not nearly enough.
Especially considering how cheap removable storage is these days.

~

So, I bought a PS3 a month ago and have Grand Theft Auto IV and NHL 09. GTA VI is so fucking good. The graphics are excellent considering all they packed in there (the wet streets look so, so good) though the framerate is a bit of a disappointment considering that it was always pretty speedy on previous versions. You can tell they had trouble with it during development because they never let you go truly "fast" fast, like Burnout for instance. Instead there are a lot of speed effects such as motion blur to compensate.

NHL 09 is one of the finest sports games I've ever played. Was a longtime fan of the NHL series from 98 to 2002 and then it got shitty. Glad things are back together on the next gen systems. The online play is great.

Especially considering how cheap removable storage is these days.

~

So, I bought a PS3 a month ago and have Grand Theft Auto IV and NHL 09. GTA VI is so fucking good. The graphics are excellent considering all they packed in there (the wet streets look so, so good) though the framerate is a bit of a disappointment considering that it was always pretty speedy on previous versions. You can tell they had trouble with it during development because they never let you go truly "fast" fast, like Burnout for instance. Instead there are a lot of speed effects such as motion blur to compensate.

NHL 09 is one of the finest sports games I've ever played. Was a longtime fan of the NHL series from 98 to 2002 and then it got shitty. Glad things are back together on the next gen systems. The online play is great.

Get Metal Gear Solid 4 and/or Fallout 3 next.

Haha, I always see you playing those. I am trying to hold out for games with a ton of replay value, though I'll get MGS eventually when it goes Greatest Hits.

I am really considering getting MLB the Show 09. Played the demo on PS Store and it's fucking AMAZING for a baseball game. I haven't owned one since Triple Play 2000 and the amount of features the developers have included that just make you go, "Wow, why hasn't anyone else thought of this" is huge.

I have last season's version of The Show (08). It's the most authentic baseball game I've played, and Road to the Show mode ate up entire days of my life this summer. :up:

Canadiens, I'll add to the Fallout 3 recommendation - it's easily one of the most entertaining gaming experiences I have had in ages :up:

If you are a graphics whore check out Killzone 2, the graphics are incredible, the single player is pretty thin (5-6 hours) but the multiplayer is very good.

Well since I'm now getting better at online play for GTA4, I won't be embarrassed to post my PSN name and play team deathmatch (or regular deathmatch) with you muthafuckas: Tiger_Edge

Canadiens and I fuck up n00bs like it's no one's biz. :nerd:

Canadiens, I'll add to the Fallout 3 recommendation - it's easily one of the most entertaining gaming experiences I have had in ages :up:

I agree with this 100%. Possibly my favorite game of this generation of consoles. You'll put more time into this game than any other single player game you've ever played, trust me.

New Gears of War 2 maps were released today. I'll make sure to tell NSW how much you all miss/hate him while we commit chainsaw genocide.

I agree with this 100%. Possibly my favorite game of this generation of consoles. You'll put more time into this game than any other single player game you've ever played, trust me.

New Gears of War 2 maps were released today. I'll make sure to tell NSW how much you all miss/hate him while we commit chainsaw genocide.

Please let me know when this is going down.

You guys are really selling me on Fallout. I'll pick it up soon when the used copies start cropping up :)

Did you do Be a Pro mode? I couldn't keep my guy on the first line for some reason. I kept losing my spot to Kyle Okposo for some reason - even though I ended up with the Hart, Calder and Conn Smthye. Fucking Kyle Okposo.

After I finished the Be a Pro season, I went back to dynasty, but the controls are all different and I suck again. But it's an awesome game.

I'm debating which soccer game to get now....not sure if I should go with PES or FIFA 09. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom