Free digital cable??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
When we moved into our house, we got cable internet through Comcast, but didn't order cable. In doing so, we got free cable because they have to send you the cable signal in order to give you internet, and we just plugged the coaxial into the tv. However, our local Comcast just recently went all digital, and now we only get the four major networks---no basic cable at all.

I've been told that we might be able to use the cable signal again if we got one of those digital converter boxes designed for analog TVs (which we have) and just plug the coaxial into that.

Does anyone know if this is true?

I know you get all the basic cable channels with the digital converter box, I just hooked one up on my TV in the bedroom. But, I pay for cable in the main room so they may tell you that you need to order cable.

When we moved into our house, we got cable internet through Comcast, but didn't order cable. In doing so, we got free cable because they have to send you the cable signal in order to give you internet, and we just plugged the coaxial into the tv. However, our local Comcast just recently went all digital, and now we only get the four major networks---no basic cable at all.

I've been told that we might be able to use the cable signal again if we got one of those digital converter boxes designed for analog TVs (which we have) and just plug the coaxial into that.

Does anyone know if this is true?

I think those digital boxes are for old tvs that can not get digital signals at all.

It sounds like your tv has a digital tuner built in, because you are able to get some digital cable chanels.
(unless those ones are still being sent over in analog?)

The converter boxes are about $20 bucks here in CA. Most drug stores carry them. You might buy one and see if you can get a few more channels. Most stores will let you return it if it does not help.
Good luck.

Having cable via jus a "cable" is ridiculous nowadays. you need to get in touch with your provider and request for a box that will allow you to have not only better sound (Since the cable alone will give you mono sound) with Dolby Digital capabilities and not mention other features such as video on demand, music channels and my favorite; a DVR capability. The last one might be a charge btw...but well worth it.
Here in California, companies are giving away huge incentives for you to join them, Comcast, Direct TV, Verizon Fios, Dish Network...all of them have specials.
Good luck.

If they switched to all digital and you are getting networks, then I don't think the digital converter will help.

We also have an analog CRT TV and we get digital cable but we pay for 70 channels. I run a co-ax from the cable box to the TV, so basically the Comcast box is my "converter".

What's annoying is that our local channels are now hi-def but we can't get them in hi-def (even if we got a hi-def TV) because of the cable service we have. We'd have to upgrade our cable service to hi-def, or have no cable and use the antenna for local channels only.

Back
Top Bottom