Fastest text messaging?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cynica

The Fly
Anyone into text messaging? I do it cuz I'm broke and I get cheap unlimited texting. What do you think is the fastest way? I ask because I had a sidekick up to about a month ago, then somehow managed to drop it into a glass of water in my sleep (great aim, huh?) and lost it to the water demons. I used to think that there was nothing faster than a qwerty keyboard, but have now found simple ol' predictive text is already on my cell phone and learned how to use it by checking the tutorial on the T9 website (after grumbling at my phone for not having its own tutorial). So yeah, inane topic o' the day: what's the fastest way to text message? I vote for T9.

I don`t even know what T9 is. :confused:

I hate text messaging but everyone does it all the time here b/c we have very few minutes to use on the mobile plans. :angry: :sad:

i use T9 as well, i like it. it's annoying though when for whatever reason the word isn't in there and then you have to enter it manually each time. i've noticed curse words are a good example of this :hmm:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Please explain what T9 is. I see it as a feature on my cellphone but I don't understand it.
what you do for T9 is you only press the key once for each letter, rather than pressing the key to get to that particular letter.

for example, the regular way, to spell "hello," you'd have to press 4 twice for h, then 3 twice for e, then 5 three times for l, then 5 three more times for the second l, then 6 three times for o.

with T9, you just press 4 3 5 5 6 and it'll predict that you want to say hello. if multiple words meet the criteria and the word you want to use isn't what it guessed, you can scroll down and select the one you want to use.

it can sound kinda complicated but it really does save a ton of time typing. there's also a website where you can learn more about it and even practise using it: http://www.t9.com/

hmm... I may have to check that out. That T9 status always bugged the crap out of me. Took me months just to figure out how NOT to type everything in caps :lmao:

T9 is the fastest.

i had 20 different calls on my mobile today (work related for the most part), and if i can get away with texting instead, i'll do it.

T9 is mega sweet.

Wow this is new to me this T9 thing. I am going to look into this. I love text messaging sometimes like if I am in a really loud place cuz I don't know how people can hear on their phones when there is loud music or a band playing....this might be fun.:wink:

KhanadaRhodes said:

what you do for T9 is you only press the key once for each letter, rather than pressing the key to get to that particular letter.

for example, the regular way, to spell "hello," you'd have to press 4 twice for h, then 3 twice for e, then 5 three times for l, then 5 three more times for the second l, then 6 three times for o.

with T9, you just press 4 3 5 5 6 and it'll predict that you want to say hello. if multiple words meet the criteria and the word you want to use isn't what it guessed, you can scroll down and select the one you want to use.

it can sound kinda complicated but it really does save a ton of time typing. there's also a website where you can learn more about it and even practise using it: http://www.t9.com/
:nerd:
:wink: I would have explained it too. Hehe.

The other reason you should use T9 is it saves the words you've taught to it! :drool: So instead of having to type in the long word that T9 doesn't know, over and over, it will keep the word in it's little memory thingie for a while. I haven't figured out though when they get rid of the memory, or if they just replace it with a new learned word, because sometimes you'll have to re-teach it. But yea, T9 is totally the way to go. It saves you a bunch of time with long words too, because once they know what you're gonna say, you just press up (at least on my phone you can) and it fills the rest of the word for you. Yay now I can be even lazier! :happy:

Yeah, I'm not allowed to post links yet else I'd give the direct link to the tutorial. Oh - and you can look up T9 on wikipedia too for more info. But I guess it was explained very well.

The fun thing about T9 is the Freudian slips, try typing in "Smirnoff". ;)

I say standard texting, because sometimes T9 doesn't understand a word I'm trying to put in. I just got fast at typing everything.

Back
Top Bottom