Dumping Norton finally - what virus software does everyone use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
I read a few threads in here but they were pretty old. I am finally getting rid of Norton after many years. I couldnt figure out why my computer would run so slow all the time and after studying the processes, this file ccsvchst.exe was almost always taking up 99% CPU. I found out its a file from Norton and I had just had enough so I emailed them and asked for a refund since I just renewed, and they gave it to me. Right now I have Nod32 trial version installed. So far so good. I was going to try the free AVG one but I feel like I need complete protection as I've had my credit card compromised in the past and I dont want that to happen again.

So what does everyone use and why do you recommend it? Which is the best for the money? Which protects against EVERYTHING? Should I keep Nod32 and pay for it when the trial is up? Upon searching the web, BitDefender seemed to also be a good one but I read that it can be slow as well. I also use malware bytes every once in a while to get rid of malware, and ccleaner to clean up files.

i believe AVG has one that you can purchase that has more options. i actually use AVG free and haven't had any problems.

ps. congrats on dumping Norton. you're right about how slow it makes your computer.

I switched to McAfee this year. So far, so good.

Last year I tried ESET NOD32 Antivirus after a recommendation from someone here - I really like it, and haven't had any problems with it slowing up my computer.

I'm using AVG free as well, and no problems in the past years I've used it. You can purchase a pro version for more advanced stuff.

We recommend AVAST and often use Malwarebytes (but only when needed, we don't keep it installed or run scheduled scans).

Last year I tried ESET NOD32 Antivirus after a recommendation from someone here - I really like it, and haven't had any problems with it slowing up my computer.

I've had them for two years on two machines with good results.

and I just renewed for two more years at around $80.

So that is $20 per year per machine.

I used Nod32 when I had a PC, and always really liked it.

Right now I have Nod32 trial version installed. So far so good. I was going to try the free AVG one but I feel like I need complete protection as I've had my credit card compromised in the past and I dont want that to happen again.

So what does everyone use and why do you recommend it? Which is the best for the money? Which protects against EVERYTHING? Should I keep Nod32 and pay for it when the trial is up?

I use NOD32/ESET Smart Security, and highly recommend it. It's known for being lightweight on resources.

I would probably just stick with the antivirus software. I think the security software adds things like firewall, anti spam etc that I dont think I really need to pay extra for as long as the antivirus covers the basic necessities.

The only weird thing so far that has happened is Nod32 said it found a virus in windows/system/svchost.exe but when I googled it it said things like you shouldnt delete this file because its a vital system file. So I didnt do anything.

I took my laptop in for servicing, and when I picked it up, they'd gotten rid of my old antivirus (I think I'd been using Avast) and had installed the free versions of Avira and Malwarebytes, saying that's what they recommend now. Avira runs in the background, and I've never had a problem with it, works well and isn't a resource hog. I think I've opened Malwarebytes and ran it once since then, and it didn't really find anything. My computer has ran relatively fast since then, and that was maybe 9 months ago.

I've had NOD32 fo a few years based on recommendations here andive been pleased. My brother-in-law uses Avast and likes it. There's just something in me that just can't believe that a good antivirus can really be free, so I've kept NOD32.

I use and recommend AVG Free to my customers (I do computer repair) and can't say enough good things about it. NOD32 is also pretty good (yearly license).

So how is it that it can be free and be so good yet others charge yearly fees? Like Utoo said it makes you believe that the ones that charge are better.

Because AVG is simply a virus scanner and only a virus scanner.

You have to upgrade to a higher version to get support and the other features. Virus heuristics files (definitions) are relatively simple to write, which is probably why they are distributed for free. With McAfee, Norton, etc., you pay for support in your licensing fee and access to more advanced features than just the virus scanner.

I've never paid for a virus scanner, and I've only ever had one virus, when I stupidly clicked on a link that was forwarded to me from someone on my msn list that also had the virus. That's when I was using Avast.

Nod32 or Kaspersky. These are the only two options you should be interested in if you don't want to use AVG.

I actually happened to find AVG Internet Security at Office Max for only $34 for a 2 year license. It was on sale. It was regularly like $70 so I figured why not. I just got a new computer with Windows 7 on it and it came with 60 days of Norton Internet Security (blah I know) so I will wait till it runs out and go ahead and switch to AVG. I realized after doing a lot of research and from some of you here that the free AVG software is ONLY anti virus protection. I decided I want complete protection after having some recent issues with security on my computer.

When I used Windows I used AVG antivirus, Windows Defender for anti spyware and a firewall as well. I often found Norton to be quite resource hungry.

I've been using the paid version of AVG now for quite a while and I've had no problems or issues. :up:

Hmm Avast sounds pretty good, and its free.

Microsoft has a free anti-virus out that is excellent. Microsoft Essentials.

It has pretty much eliminated the need to pay for it , by design.

If you use wndows, you cannot beat it.

Norton is a disaster

yeah it is a resource Hog

Seriously if you havent tried Micro essentials, it is awesome. I have tried the others, and had and love ESSET, but Microsoft did this to encourage the millions who still dont use antiv to do so, and it is free.

Search CNET and such. It is better to me than ESST which I loved, but the update sometimes would glitch.

This has malware, antispyware, and uses little resources. It's free

As someone who's job is removing viruses/malware/spyware from personal computers, pretty much none of these listed are a guarantee. Most of the viruses I've dealt with in the past few weeks have just been stupid mistakes, like people opening e-mail attachments they did not recognize or clicking on Facebook videos just because they say "watch me!" Seriously, common sense and smart computing go a long way. At present I have no loyalty to any antivirus program because none of them completely do the job, both for prevention and removal. It does not take me long to "clean" a computer but I do most of the work manually.

*cli* fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu *ck*

I've never paid for a virus scanner, and I've only ever had one virus, when I stupidly clicked on a link that was forwarded to me from someone on my msn list that also had the virus. That's when I was using Avast.

Ugh, don't remind me of that mess.
I don't think I've ever cussed so loudly before in my life. :grumpy:

Why don't you live closer Liesje :sad:
Just got my computer back today from the shop. Virus attacked on Friday. Had a few problems earlier in the year as well as a total crash last year. I have NOD32. Also have SpyBot and the computer store recommended (which I already have) Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I just have to remember to run them more often :reject:

I've not had a virus since 2003 because I use Linux, but I used to have to clean up viruses and spyware at work. You should always keep the definitions up to date though.

Back
Top Bottom