DivX to DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I have some vid clips that are a-v-i files and say "DivX" in the filename. How can I burn these to a DVD that will play in a DVD player (not computer drive). I have blank DVD-Rs and a DVD burner. What programs will I need? My mom says my screen is too small and insists on something she can put on her TV.

Last edited:
I'm glad you posted this cause I've been meaning to look into it. I DL'd Boilsoft, but I haven't tried it yet. I have some avi's I want to convert so I'll let you know.

I do know that the free version leaves a watermark on the output, but I'm cool with that.

It depends. Do you want the DVD to have menus and stuff(like real DVDs do) or do you just want it to start playing the video as soon as your dvd player reads the disc?

Also, are these files fullscreen? If not, they're going to be stretched out and somewhat distorted on a TV screen.

It's widescreen. The biggest file is like 1.6GB. Ideally, I'd like to make a menu and chapters (even if the chapter is just time intervals, not ones I choose). I've made VCDs before. Is that easier? I just want to be sure it will actually play in their DVD player, and right now all I have is blank DVDs, no CD-Rs.

Last edited:
Oh, and if I have to purchase a program license, that's fine. I just don't know which ones are "good".

Could I do this with iLife on a Mac?

I'm not sure what the ratings are, but ULead VideoStudio and Nero Vision can accomplish this task.

Ok, I've got the title and chapters and such, but when I preview my project, the video is a tiny little widescreen box surrounded by black. How do I force it to just be like any widscreen DVD where it adjusts to the size of the TV?

UberBeaver said:
I'm glad you posted this cause I've been meaning to look into it. I DL'd Boilsoft, but I haven't tried it yet. I have some avi's I want to convert so I'll let you know.

I do know that the free version leaves a watermark on the output, but I'm cool with that.

I had no success with this.

Liesje said:
Ok, I've got the title and chapters and such, but when I preview my project, the video is a tiny little widescreen box surrounded by black. How do I force it to just be like any widscreen DVD where it adjusts to the size of the TV?

I'm not familiar with that adjustment (without stretching the image). When I play dvds of films (2.35:1 aspect) on my 16:9 or 4:3 TVs, I get black bars on the top and bottom unless I adjust the TV (or dvd player) settings to stretch the image. But then things look either too flat or too tall to some extent. E.g. U2's Slane and Chicago are 16:9 (HDTV ratio), whereas Boston is 4:3 ratio. E.g. Slane played on my standard TV will look too tall (but have no black bars), so I flatten it using the "16:9" button.

Last edited:
The black bars on the bottom are fine, since we don't have a widescreen TV, but what it did was make this tiny image in the middle with tons of black on ALL sides of the image. I want it to stretch so it fits the right and left sides of the screen, with the black on top and bottom.

That's really bizarre - maybe a trial edition thing, low original resolution, codec issue among other possibilities. Maybe try to import a brief clip into WMM and save it to WMV format and import that into Ulead.

cmcmc said:
The best software i've found for this is Convertxtodvd. It does a very nice conversion to dvd format and adds chapters every 5 mins. Below is a link to their site.
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

If you wish to add your own menu and chapters i would recommend TMPGEnc

I have had success with this. Quality isn't perfect, but then again, neither was the source material. There is a watermark on the output for the free version, but I can live with that.

I'm such an idiot, you guys. I never thought of using the Sonic program my new computer came with. I've been using it to burn data discs and obviously since the comp came with a DVD burner, it comes with a program to MAKE DVDs.

*foreheadslap*

Well, I did find an issue with the program my laptop came with. It's Sonic My DVD. I load it up, tell it to import a video file, point it to the file, and it imports it. Everything is exactly how I want (wide screen fit to screen) except that the video file I have is 850MB and when I import it, Sonic says the DVD size is over 11GB!!! Sonic gives you a menu screen that plays a little song and lets you add chapters, but how can 850MB + a few images and one mp3 = 11.3GB? It won't let me select the "fit to DVD" filesize option because I have pay for the deluxe edition. The only option that made the DVD less than 4GB was the "VHS" option. So I made the DVD and everything is exactly what I want as far as screen ratio, chapters, menu, but the video is kinda yucky since it compressed it or something.

I don't get what I'm doing wrong. Is it b/c I start with an avi file, not a ripped DVD?

I had the same problem wih iMovie on the mac. It took 4 hours to import 2 and half hours of video, ended up eing 11GBs, compressed to 5GB and looked like shit when done. I give up. I'll jsut use the program I downloaded and watch things with the watermark popping in and out.

I had terrible success using iMovie as well. We were using it for a school project that involved some video we taped with a DVR. We ended up just hooking the DVR to a VCR, pushing play, and recording our videos onto a VHS tape. It took less than an hour and the quality was far better than whatever iMovie ended up spitting out after 6 hours of the computer sitting frozen with a spinning pinwheel.

Back
Top Bottom