Difficulty with Laptop Battery!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OK, I have absolutely no idea where to post this, because it doesnt seem to fit in any category!

At the bottom left hand corner of my laptop below my screen, there are a few lights, one of which flashes red when my battery is low. Normally when I charge it up using a plug this light goes away! However, today when I plugged in my charger, this red light remained and in fact was flashing faster. This is very unusual! Ive had my laptop for a year and a half and this has never happened before. When I take out my battery, the light goes away. I'm suspecting that my Battery might be dying because when it is fully charged it only lasts for 1hr and 20 minutes. When I got it first I recall it being about 5 hours. And even about6 months ago it was 2hrs and 50 mins at full capacity.

Has anyone any idea what is wrong with my laptop/battery?

Is there an annoying flashing red light on your laptop?

thats not good! What type of laptop is yours? Mine is a Dell D505.

same here, it doesn't bother me having to keep it plugged in, its just that stupid red light thats pissing me off!!!!!

04072511 said:

At the bottom left hand corner of my laptop below my screen, there are a few lights, one of which flashes red when my battery is low. Normally when I charge it up using a plug this light goes away! However, today when I plugged in my charger, this red light remained and in fact was flashing faster. This is very unusual! Ive had my laptop for a year and a half and this has never happened before. When I take out my battery, the light goes away. I'm suspecting that my Battery might be dying because when it is fully charged it only lasts for 1hr and 20 minutes. When I got it first I recall it being about 5 hours. And even about6 months ago it was 2hrs and 50 mins at full capacity.

it's probably just at the end of it's life, i think laptop batteries are meant to last for a year or 2. nothing more. (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

redkat said:
my laptop is brand new and the battery only lasts for 30 minutes.

:eek:

i think you've got a problem there :yikes:

04072511 said:
OK, I have absolutely no idea where to post this, because it doesnt seem to fit in any category!

You probably need a new one. Laptop batteries are not intended to be good for more than a year, year and a half max. I've got a 4 year old one and it lasts for less than 30 seconds on full charge. I don't feel like replacing it because they cost like $100-$200 and I always use a power adapter.

There's probably nothing wrong with the battery if it's over a year old, just get a replacement.

If you don't use your battery often, just leave it out of the laptop. If you DO use it, it's best to use it until it's drained and then charge it up again, rather than always using it for an hour or so at a time. If you do this, only one part of the battery is used and that part will die with half the battery still good behind it.

Re: Re: Difficulty with Laptop Battery!

the rockin edge said:

it's probably just at the end of it's life, i think laptop batteries are meant to last for a year or 2. nothing more. (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

Yep, you'll have to buy a new battery. Is it simalar with the iPod ones too?

Re: Re: Difficulty with Laptop Battery!

the rockin edge said:

:eek:

i think you've got a problem there :yikes:

any advice or am I screwed?

Chizip said:
my warranty plans lets me get new batteries for free :drool:

I love these kind of warranties! Most people don't get them though, b/c when you're shopping for a laptop, the salespeople aren't too keen on letting you know that you're gonna have to drop at least another $100 on new batteries every few years. My friend has a 3 year warranty that covers one battery per year, so he gets two new batteries regardless of whether the initial ones are dead.

Re: Re: Re: Difficulty with Laptop Battery!

redkat said:

any advice or am I screwed?

No, a brand new laptop bought from any store like CompUSA or Best Buy usually comes with a one year warranty. A brand new battery should be lasting around 3 hours, depending on the type of battery. Call the store that you bought the computer from and they should give you a replacement.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Difficulty with Laptop Battery!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

No, a brand new laptop bought from any store like CompUSA or Best Buy usually comes with a one year warranty. A brand new battery should be lasting around 3 hours, depending on the type of battery. Call the store that you bought the computer from and they should give you a replacement.

:up: thanks

it's not just the comp then it's a bad battery?

My laptop battery doesn't last long either - I usually keep it plugged in any way, so it isn't a real problem. I didn't realise they were supposed to last on average about 3 hours!

Back
Top Bottom