Computer cooling fan issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geeman

The Fly
I have my computer located in a non enclosed well ventilated place ...however the cooling fan seems to come on almost every 5 minutes or so when surfing the net and is getting quite disturbing and on certain sites it comes on more frequently .... any ideas why ?

The cooling fan(s) (CPU and/or system) will speed up when more CPU activity is happening. Internet, multiple windows open, games, etc = more calculations/electrical signals being made = more heat = more cooling needed. No cooling = meltdown = buy a new CPU/motherboard, etc.

Now, you may want to check for lint and dust inside the system and air it out. Also, check the CPUs' heat sink for lint between the grooves; difficult to air cool if there's stuff in the way...similar to not removing the lint from the dryer filter, your clothes don't dry well. All of this does contribute to added heat generation/retention.

Yeah, get some canned air and blow the whole thing out good. When my heatsynk gets dusty, the fans are on full stop and it's really annoying. You can also get these little widgety apps that give you temps of different parts of the computer. If it's always running hot just during your "normal" use, you can add another fan.

Mine had the same problem but before I realized it my motherboard died. Then my screen hinge cracked, about 6 months later. They told me to update the bios to help the fan (or something) but when they'd given me the new motherboard they'd done something to block that. Luckily I was still under warranty, and when they replaced the screen they replaced my keyboard and my heatsink. Now that my warranty's almost up you bet I'll be vacuuming regularly.

Today I was working on this kid's giant desktop and it was so nasty and dusty I took it into the shop to blow out. A wood chip about 3 inches long came out of one of his fans. Also, this weird powder kept coming out and it smelled suspiciously like instant coffee. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom