Can't access webpages?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzlingamy

Refugee
The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - M
Hello
Was in Dubai last week and couldn't get on their hotel internet. The woman in reception did something on my laptop in network connections where I think she put in the IP number (like 101.432.54 etc) somewhere

Now back in australia and on my cousins wireless internet. Skype connects and i can chat to people on it but it won't load any websites on either firefox or ie.

i went into network connections and properties and selected 'automatically connect' or something, and restarted but it still won't connect.

What can i do?

In the Networking control panel, right click on your network adapter connection > Properties > click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (or TCP/IP) and click Properties. You probably have to reset it to obtain the addresses automatically.

If it's not that, then she probably entered a proxy into your browser (I'm guessing this might actually be it since you're online but not getting web traffic). Google around for how to change proxy settings for whatever browser you have.

My parents computer is doing the same thing. :doh: They're connected fine to the Internet but all 3 browsers will not load any pages. It will connect to google actually but that's about it. I tried on both their desktop and laptop. They havent changed any settings so I have no idea what it could be. It has to be a problem with the ISP. I'm going to go insane.

Are they connected to the Internet or just to their router? You can be "connected" and have full bars but no Internet access.

If they are connected and have Internet access but cannot browse web pages, I would make sure the browsers aren't set to use any proxies and check the hosts file. I've worked on a lot of viruses lately that tamper with the hosts file so you can only go to certain (adware) pages.

I've run a full virus scan, malware bytes and spybot and it was still like that. I spent like an hour on the phone with netzero last night. They basically ended up saying they have a 'weak' and 'intermittent' connection and it would take 2 days for them to check it out. :doh: So we switched it back over to dial up for the time being and it works fine. :huh: So.. either something is wrong with their dsl connection, or I guess it could possible be a bad cable. I'll bring over one of my ethernet cables in a few days and see if that makes any difference.

Sicy, there have been a couple of times after getting rid of a virus, I had that problem. Try clicking on Tools at the top of the webpage. The click on Internet Options. Click on the Connections tab. Click on the LAN settings button. Under the Proxy server there is a box, make sure it is unchecked. Then ok it.

After that it would work for me.

Back
Top Bottom