Burned DVD not playing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
I recently received a copy of a show. However, when I went to play it on my DVD player (hooked to the TV), it came up with an error. It was either 'couldn't read' or something to that effect. I recently got a new computer with a DVD burner/player, and thought I would test the DVD on it. Well, it plays on it! So does anyone know why it won't play on my DVD player? I think it's a JVC machine, and the show was recorded on a Sony disc. Would it be possible to copy the DVD and make a copy of it onto another brand's blank disk in order for it to play thru normal channels? :scratch: I've run into a couple of other shows that won't play on my DVD player... which makes me :sad:

:help:

That's happened to me a few times:mad: and I've noticed dvds that have a 4x on them are the ones I get with the errors

The format is NTSC, and not PAL. I have had this happen before to other DVDs I've gotten as well.

I do have one of those cheapie all-system players in my bedroom, I just didn't try the new DVD out in that player, especially seeing how that TV is old and a crappy picture. I wanted to watch in the comfort of my living room on my HDTV. I know it will play, like I said I tested it on this here computer and it worked... I sit here all day working on the computer. The last thing I want to do is sit for 2+ more hours and watch a DVD on it :der:

DVD-R

It plays on my all system cheapo player in the bedroom and on my computer, obviously. Just not on my living room DVD player :mad:

If I copy the DVD-R to a DVD+R, will that make a difference? Will that even work? :scratch:

Lila64 said:
DVD-R

It plays on my all system cheapo player in the bedroom and on my computer, obviously. Just not on my living room DVD player :mad:

If I copy the DVD-R to a DVD+R, will that make a difference? Will that even work? :scratch:

weird :huh:

DVD-R or DVD+R shouldn't make any difference.

Not a clue, hence the reason I started the thread.
Back near the beginning of the tour last year, I did a B&P with someone, and a couple of the items didn't play. He/she resent one of them, but for some reason, this stupid JVC player won't play them. I didn't have a chance to check all previous burned DVDs to see if they'd play and on which machine. Especially since the bedroom machine is an all-format player :der: Could it have anything to do with the brand of blank disk?

To confirm... some DVD players DO NOT play certain types of DVDs... +r, -r, +rw, -rw. These are significantly different formats.

Also, computer DVD players are much more tolerant to errors on a disc, during the writing process, than a traditional DVD player is... mostly because computers use software/drivers to read the discs, and typically these are updated often and include the latest standards. Hardware DVD players dont get these updates, and are technically usually much more limited to the specific technology/formats that the machine was originally designed to play.

Personally I use Verbatim or TDK DVD-R only for DVD Video.... depending what's on sale when I need a new spindle. I've NEVER had a problem with a Verbatim DVD-R, and I have a problem with about 1 out of 20 TDK disks -- although usally it's my fault, not the disc's ;).

if I remember correctly, a computer DVD player will play all DVDs (theoretically) because the format is SVGA, which is one step above an all-format DVD player that can play all regions, which is a step above most U.S. DVD players (don't know if that came out right)

The disc I received was a Sony DVD-R. I remember I sent blanks to someone once and they specifically asked that I do NOT send Sony disks. Maybe it's Sony's fault! I don't think I've ever bought Sony either, just for that reason above.

Not all the RW DVD are playable. I don't why, even the normal cd's. For instance, when I burn on a RW audio CD, I can play it on the computer or in my car, but not on the normal CD player. RW's are a bit particular

You can always rip the DVD and burn it yourself onto a new blank DVD using free software.

Try:
DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink

Back
Top Bottom