Apple to support running XP on Intel Macs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neutral

genius of compression, Forum Moderator
forty miles from atlanta, this is nowhere
Apple to support running XP on Mac

This is pretty big/unexpected news, I'm totally nerding out here. :nerd: :happy:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

More and more people are buying and loving Macs. To make this choice simply irresistible, Apple will include technology in the next major release of Mac OS X, Leopard, that lets you install and run the Windows XP operating system on your Mac. Called Boot Camp (for now), you can download a public beta today.

I loaded XP on my Mac Mini over the weekend. My only regret? Not giving XP at least half the HD space. I will be ditching OS X on it for XP. (I already have, but just want to re-do it to give XP half the space)

About fucking time Apple gave in and started using Intel.

The PowerPC processors they were using blew and blew hard.

I really want to do it. There's a couple of programs I used on XP that I really haven't found for OSX. :grumpy: I hate having to go boot up one of the PCs just to use them and VirtualPC is soooo slow. Just not sure when I'll be able to, unless I sell my nearly new Mini and get an Intel one instead. :slant:

u2granny said:
This could very well be the one thing that converts me to a Mac.:wink:

I'm sure that sentiment is at the heart of this decision.
Apple has submitted, caved in at the core (pardon the pun). There's been tremendous success with ipods, and "more and more people are buying and loving Macs." maybe they're afraid that the supposed "halo effect" (people satisfied w/ their ipods purchasing a mac) will soon wear off and sales will begin to taper. Not that this is some huge conspiracy unveiled, the objective of any company is to continually increase sales. Besides, I'm not entirely familiar with Mac's sales rate.

anyway, I'd agree this was a good business move. It may also help to calm the superior attitude held by some mac and windows users :wink:

neutral said:
I really want to do it. There's a couple of programs I used on XP that I really haven't found for OSX. :grumpy: I hate having to go boot up one of the PCs just to use them and VirtualPC is soooo slow. Just not sure when I'll be able to, unless I sell my nearly new Mini and get an Intel one instead. :slant:

yeah there's a couple things i'd do on XP if i ran it on a mac. but i got a new powerbook last summer & have had no problems with it, so i don't see myself buying a new computer anytime soon.

neutral said:
yeah, i know what you mean. for example, i had a program i really loved on my pc that converted dvds to avis (which i've now found an equivalent for on mac), but it also converted dvds and avis to mp3. but even if i had xp on my mac, i don't remember the name and i'm too lazy to boot up my pc :reject:

Well, my copy of XP is coming in soon, so I'll see how it works on my new Intel iMac, and I'll report back.

BTW I'm a GAMER, so i'll be putting the thing through hell (at least windows)

Apple did this to give Windows users no excuse to have a Mac. It's genius though... they've made Boot Camp so that the computer by default loads OSX, and you cant change that to XP... so it somewhat nudges you to use OSX as your primary operating system.

Lovely thing about all this... OSX runs on PCs now too (although Apple obviously doesnt support or mention that). Check out http://www.osx86project.org/

actually, no, you can change the default load to Windows.

But, okay came in yesterday: report!

It's FAST! Like a webpage opens before you can say wow. I can load a R:TW battle with 3,000 men on each side before you finish this paragraph.

Wow... so you can actually set it to boot XP instead of OSX without having to manually do it? ... now that MAY inspire me to buy a Mini.

Back
Top Bottom