antiviruses for mac?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kingdomofdoom2

Babyface
after about three years using a pc, i am considering moving to mac. however, even though i know it's the safest computer on the planet, i still want to buy an antivirus. but, that's the problem. while there are hundreds of antiviruses for pc, i have found only four for mac - mcafee's virex, norton's av for mc, intego's virus barrier x4, and clamxav. from my horrible experience with norton on the pc, and bad reviews on the apple store, i refuse to install it on any computer. clamxav looks nice, but i've read that it doesnt have a database for mac viruses only, it's for viruses from pcs. i am interested in mcafee's virex; i use a mcafee firewall on my pc and it works well, but i havent read any reviews about the av. intego's virus barrier had some bad reviews, but it was mostly when people installed it on older macs. otherwise, i liked it a lot. but now there's another problem: i'm from brazil, and i have no idea if anyone sells it here. or any of the other antiviruses, for that matter. if anyone can suggest other avs, i'd really appreciate it. looking forward to your replies! :)

I hate Norton, but the Symantec Corporate versions are good. That is what I use on ALL of my computers, Mac and PC. Funny though, I've never had a virus problem on a PC but three months ago my OS 10.4 iMac got a virus that Symantec removed.

thanks for the replies :)

i've been doing some research, and i'm beggining to think i'm just better off with no avs. it seems like they mess up the computers more than anything.

if i do buy it (i really want to, but i still have to convince my mom, lol), i think i'll end up getting clamxav, just to have some peace of mind. it's free after all.

almost 5 years having macs and a pc, not a single virus in macs... you can figure out PC...
anyway, I never used antiviruses in macs, they simply can't bug them, just make sure you are running the latest version of OS X and don't let any security update behind!
-FCA

Back
Top Bottom