Your Top Ten Movies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I watched JFK when I was about 12. My mom saw me watching a 30th anniversary conspiracy special and said she'd go to Blockbuster and rent the movie for me. It was my number 1 for a long time. I sorta stopped believing the conspiracy presented once I downloaded the game JFK reloaded. It was controversial at the time. But through the simulation you realize the shots from the book depository were timed in the best possible spot and it was possible to get the wound pattern.

Then I saw the doc on Netlix called "JFK: The Smoking Gun" and I'm not going to spoil it, but I think it may hit the nail on the head no pun intended.

The movie is magnificent. Paints the history of time and players so well. The editing is top notch. The cast and script are fantastic. So many memorable scenes and conversations.

- Costner grilling Joe Pesci over his trip to go ice skating in Houston and Duck Hunting

- Donald Sutherland in DC

- The lunch meeting about Oswald (Gary Oldman's past)

- Tommy Lee Jones party with the Cubans (snake in the pants)

- Kevin Bacon's interview

It amuses me that most of the people who defend the corrupt (i.e. Allan Dulles-influenced) official story handed down by the Warren Commission tend to talk about Oswald's ability to hit JFK from his position, and not much else about the surrounding events. They don't talk about the surprisingly reduced security detail, they don't talk about the hostility towards Kennedy from people in power, or Oswald's background. And pertaining to the shooting itself, the still legitimate point that his position made more sense as part of a crossfire.

The magic bullet theory is preposterous, but even bending over backwards to prove it doesn't dismiss all the bizarre things going on in Dallas that don't add up to a plan conceived and executed by one man.

Absolutely not. I mean, we can all at least agree that if Oswald did it, he didn't act alone, right?

I mean, come on, the guy was shot during a prison transfer ffs.

The only Oliver Stone movies I've seen are The Doors (garbage) and Wall Street (pretty good but not worth the hype). I own Platoon but haven't seen it. Really, really meh on Stone as a filmmaker, but maybe Platoon and JFK will turn that around.

Last edited:
The only Oliver Stone movies I've seen are The Doors (garbage) and Wall Street (pretty good but not worth the hype). I own Platoon but haven't seen it. Really, really meh on Stone as a filmmaker, but maybe Platoon and JFK will turn that around.

I love Wall Street. Daryll Hannah and Sean Young were such terrible casting decisions though. I think JFK is his best. He said its his personal favorite.

A little premature of a judgment because of the films. Wall Street is extremely dated and The Doors captures the atmosphere of the time but not much else.

Platoon is obviously a very personal work, one of the few Vietnam War films made by someone who actually served, and I think brings you pretty close to his general anti-establisment worldview. From a cinematic perspective, I find Natural Born Killers to be essential. You may find that its gratuitous nature overwhelms Stone's satirical point, but it's high-wire, daring stuff. Talk Radio shows that he could do something smaller-scale and make it just as engrossing, it's one of my favorites of his.

Born On The Fourth Of July is another one that has a very positive consensus, and just for Cruise's performance alone it's worth seeing. But it's very good filmmaking regardless.

After that, you'll probably be on board for more (there aren't too many titles I'd recommend beyond those), or ready to throw in the towel.

Last edited:
Figured Lemel would have seen Salvador, definitely add that to Laz' list.

Could not get on board with NBK. The excess of style just gave me a headache, despite how it ties into the themes. Also felt like I was being scolded for watching it, and Stone isn't exactly Haneke.

Papillon is very good. Feels a bit dated, more in the vein of a big budget 60s adventure flick than I was expecting, but you can't go wrong with Hoffman and McQueen. I dug it.

My favourite Stone after JFK is Salvador. James Woods is an ideal protagonist for an Oliver Stone movie.

I wouldn't say The Doors is terrible because it has Val Kilmer's performance going for it. But it's the first time where Stone's excessive style and flashiness hurt the story. On the other hand, due to his unique editing choices, you can always tell an Oliver Stone movie, which I guess is every director's dream. It's just that his movies are more than often drowned in all kinds of terrible. There's lack of subtlety in style which can be a good thing, but lack of subtlety in writing is a completely different story. Even Talk Radio starts to get way over-the-top by its climax.

In any case, he's more miss than hit for me.

Well the blame for Talk Radio's script would rest with Bogosian. It's based on his own play, he co-wrote the screenplay, and starred.

Also, not sure what you mean by over-the-top, but it was based on a real-life incident.

I'm aware of Bogosian writing the script and the play. I'm not talking about the final final scene, but the antics of his character as the climax comes in start to get old, and Stone's sense of pacing and of mercilessly burying the point into the mind of the viewer is symptomatic of his later work in the 90s and 00s. Case in point being Natural Born Killers - a film I like more than most but which does have its problems.

It's awfully tough to nail down a Top Ten. Here goes (in no order):

- The Godfather
- The Godfather Part 2
- Platoon
- Full Metal Jacket
- The Departed
- Kill Bill Volume 1
- Kill Bill Volume 2
- Pulp Fiction
- Clerks
- Slingblade

they should do, easily his best two films, you will love them i'm sure.

The Empire Strikes Back
Apocalypse Now
2001 A Space Odyssey
Temple Of Doom
The Great Escape
The Sound Of Music
Zodiac
Return Of The King
Interstellar
Vertigo

In any given day, the Kubrick, Hitchcock, Nolan, and Fincher movies could swap out for others by that particular director.

I'm imagining you saying that like Charles Barkley.

What kind of godless heathen doesn't like The Sound of Music? The hills are alive, for Christ's Sake!!

Go back to exhorting others to fornicate with baby bears.

I once had a female co-worker who said she loved movies with musical montages showing growth and self-discovery in their characters.

I said I loved movies where Nazis are the villains

We both agreed that Sound of Music was a movie that satisfied both our requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom