Your Favorite Movies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the record, I do LIKE LOTR, I'm just not as big a fan because of the direction, that's all

Unfortunately for Jackson and the cinema-loving world at large, films are special in that they rely heavily on purely visual elements of storytelling, not meaning just art direction or production design either (Oh look how hairy the hobbits' feet are!). I don't think you'll find many people who think The Lord of the Rings novels aren't a damn good story, I'm not saying they aren't, but as a filmmaker, Jackson's role is to convey the story elements and themes of the material through all the channels with which cinema communicates to its audience. And I think he failed pretty miserably in most of those regards.

A faithful adaptation of the Tolkien's novels into a script doesn't just magically make a great film, and cinematic storytelling involves a lot more than that. Hell, the script is probably at much as 15% of what contributes to the expression of a film's core material, tops.

Okay, I didn't think of a list. Here are 20 or something off the head.

La Strada
Angels With Dirty Faces
No Man's Land
M
The Jerk
Sherlock Jr.
Big Trouble in Little China
Blotto
Horse Feathers
Pubic Enemy
Footlight Parade
Arsenic and Old Lace
The Maltese Falcon
Rebel Without a Cause
Porco Rosso
Fritz the Cat
Ed Wood
42nd Street
Airplane!/Flying High
and like any of the Road To movies :x

No, I'm sorry but that dubious distinction has to go to I Am Legend...

I loved LOTR but then I loved the books and am a major fantasy geek, so there...

That's a good one. Damn. Those vampire things + the retarded ending really killed that movie for me. The first hour is excellent thouh.

I could have put up with the retarded ending if the CG didn't look like a videogame...

An N64 game, at that.

Bonnie, awesome to see some Big Trouble in Little China on your list. It's one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen and all of the Kurt Russell/John Carpenter pairings were terrific.

2 things:

1) I do not pretend that these are the 50 best movies of all-time. These are just my 50 favorites. Unless I've forgotten something. :)

2) They are not in order, not sure that I can rank them.

Network
Chinatown
Chariots of Fire
Apocalypse Now
G-dfather
G-dfather II
Amadeus
Reds
The Empire Strikes Back
Blade Runner
The Deer Hunter
A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Days of Heaven
The New World
Badlands
Goodfellas
The Age of Innocence
Raging Bull
Taxi Driver
Gangs of New York
The Day of the Jackal
Young Frankenstein
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Croupier
Annie Hall
Manhattan
Magnolia
Punch Drunk Love
There Will Be Blood
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Right Stuff
North by Northwest
This is Spinal Tap
Once Upon a Time in America
Sideways
The Shawshank Redemption
A Fish Called Wanda
Fight Club
Zodiac
The Sting
Broadcast News
The Third Man
Brokeback Mountain
The Manchurian Candidate
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
The Big Lebowski
Star Trek II
Jaws

Nice, good sir. Thought you'd have Boogie Nights on there, as well.

The first time I saw anything by Malick was Days of Heaven. I did not know anything about him, was just told to watch the film. I was fucking blown away. As you know, I don't know dick about film, but I knew I was watching something special.

Anyway, my list is nothing special, and has maybe 10 films not found on prior lists. But it's a fun exercise. I wish I had more foreign or older films on my list, but, I've just not seen all that many of either genre. The Lives of Others is likely the best foreign film I've seen in a long time, and also was a late cut.

The first time I saw anything by Malick was Days of Heaven. I did not know anything about him, was just told to watch the film. I was fucking blown away. As you know, I don't know dick about film, but I knew I was watching something special.

Anyway, my list is nothing special, and has maybe 10 films not found on prior lists. But it's a fun exercise. I wish I had more foreign or older films on my list, but, I've just not seen all that many of either genre. The Lives of Others is likely the best foreign film I've seen in a long time, and also was a late cut.

Is that a good starting point then? Or should I just go chronologically?

Yeah, it's always fun to see them and discuss, I feel. There's always time to catch that stuff later, that's my rationale, at least.

Is that a good starting point then? Or should I just go chronologically?

Yeah, it's always fun to see them and discuss, I feel. There's always time to catch that stuff later, that's my rationale, at least.

I look forward to the Son or the Father mocking something in my list. Rite of passage. :)

Man, for me, I'd just go chronologically, since it's such a small amount of films were talking about.

Definitely going to check out stuff that I haven't seen on your list though NSW, you've yet to really let me down on any film recommendation. Plus, you have the Network at the top, and I STILL haven't seen that :banghead:

Honestly, all 4 of Malick's films are near-unparalleled masterworks. It doesn't matter where you start.

NSW, Woody's face at the end of Manhattan looks stellar in that montage I'm making.

I've still got about 20-25 movies to rip to my computer before I do any substantial work though. Shit be daunting.

NSW, Woody's face at the end of Manhattan looks stellar in that montage I'm making.

I've still got about 20-25 movies to rip to my computer before I do any substantial work though. Shit be daunting.

I look forward to seeing this.

Ashley, I think Network is one of the best films I've ever seen and am surprised that it does not get talked about more often in these here parts.

Back
Top Bottom